Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Stick your thumb in a bowl of water. The hole that is left when you withdraw your thumb is how much you will be missed. Once the word is out that you are leaving, you will become invisible.
Nice analogy! And it's accurate.

To give the company enough time to find my replacement (I was in a fairly high managerial position), I initially gave six months' notice and then extended it.

If I had to do it over, I would give one or two months' notice. The recruiting department made no use of the extra time and waited until nearly the end to begin its process.

Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Stick your thumb in a bowl of water. The hole that is left when you withdraw your thumb is how much you will be missed. Once the word is out that you are leaving, you will be become invisible.
That's a good way to put it. In operating plants the day foreman is almost a living god. Only rarely would anything be done without his total agreement. At one site, this person retired. Everyone cried about how horrible it would be without him. He retired, a replacement promoted and within 3 months people barely remembered the original day foreman.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Today, I notice many companies are simply not concerned about succession planning. I actually brought this up once at a prior job in a discussion with others in the management team and a VP quickly said there were bigger issues to deal with. And of course, that never became big "enough" of an issue to deal with.

These days I would give a month or two tops, as I agree with many of the replies - it only opens the door to being treated worse. And nobody mourns for the departed. My friend who used to work for the old Westinghouse Electric told me they had a saying. If someone would ask how they could ever get along if John Smith left, the reply would be "We didn't close the company when George Westinghouse died."
Old 10-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #24

Letting them know early can (in some cases) backfire in "unexpected ways". It did for me. I had hinted that I would probably retire in 12 to 18 months and they made it difficult for me to leave. (Greed) A promotion and much bigger raises than I expected. That created the OMY + syndrome for me.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Stick your thumb in a bowl of water. The hole that is left when you withdraw your thumb is how much you will be missed.
LOL - Great analogy. I'm going to have to remember that one!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #26

If your company is big enough they surely have written policies for things like HR, find what the rules are for giving notice and do that. That should ensure you meet requirements for getting paid for unused vacation etc.

They should have a plan B, that it was they get paid for.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #27

All good points. RIF's have never occurred in this century old firm so that possibility is moot. I have a set date and for numerous reasons I want to steadfastly stick to that day. They could offer me a lot and that still ain't gonna change my plans.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-11-2014, 04:23 AM   #28

Stay silent till it is time to give notice.
Do not risk to lose anything the company might offer to you till you leave. Your job might get very boring if you speak too early.

Would your bosses tell you long time in advance if they are considering to sell your part of the business? Nope. They are protecting their plans, you must take care of yours.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:33 AM   #29

Agree with all those who say to keep silent, and with the view that one tends to think of themselves more valuable to Megacorp than one actually is. At my job folks who speak up way in advance will tend to get their assignments immediately changed, even informally. My observation is that a month's notice is a good amount of time.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Just remember it is only w*rk, not real life.
-BB
Old 10-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
All good points. RIF's have never occurred in this century old firm so that possibility is moot. I have a set date and for numerous reasons I want to steadfastly stick to that day. They could offer me a lot and that still ain't gonna change my plans.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
RIF's never happened at Megacorp, part of their culture, and recruiting pitch, until they did.

Stick to your date, but don't ever think they have any loyalty to you. If they prove different it's a happy day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #32

DeGaulle once said "the graveyards are filled with indispensable men".

I'd give at most 3 months notice. 6 if my boss were my close friend.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #33

Quote:
I bump into a cluster of visiting VPs from some new regional offices we have started and after introductions from my regional VP it's stated "oh we were just discussing you and how we need to expand your responsibilities" (implications also to grow my small group).
I would put no stock in such a casual conversation. A throwaway remark in a chance hallway encounter is far from a serious discussion in a formal meeting (at which you were present). Maybe your boss was just trying to make you feel important, who knows?

In any case, they may well change their minds, or become distracted by other competing priorities, or have to deal with a 'hiring freeze' or some such: you know, the sort of things that all too often derail plans at most megacorps. There will be plenty of 'foot-dragging' on their side without you having to contribute to it (and perhaps develop a reputation for "not being a 'team player'").

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Keep your secrets to yourself. They will have a succession plan although it may not be very good. Your situation may change in 20 months and you may be glad you are moving up career-wise. Finally, if Megacorp burps do you think they wouldn't hesitate cutting your butt from the payroll with a lot less than two months notice?
Agreed.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #34

If you have a pension benefit, you should check what is required for another year of pension.

At my company, I need 1,000 hours in a calendar year. That brings me to 6/30. Just my .02.

It could be that working another week or so, until the end of June, increases your pension a bit.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #35

I gave them 6 months notice as a division manager and immediately began becoming invisible.. I respected their right to move on, but was surprised at how little they cared. The machine is the machine.. people (don't care who you are) are expendable assets. Care, but not that much...is the advise I would offer.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I gave them 6 months notice as a division manager and immediately began becoming invisible.
The daily flood of emails goes down to a trickle pretty fast. Not that one minds this...
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I took a package that was offered about the time I was ready to ER. The rules of the package allowed me to choose one of two off-roll dates, effectively either 3 or 6 months notice. I chose 6, thinking it would cause less jeopardy to the project and give the company more time to transition my valuable responsibilities to others, as well as pick up 3 months more salary.

In retrospect, I wish I had chosen the 3 month notice. Those 6 months were not particularly enjoyable, and I learned how little Megacorp really cared about me. Go short.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How have others handled similar situations?
it's really pretty easy. You go on with your plans for RE saying nothing. If/when expansion of your role happens, accept it and do your very best to excel and give your employer your best effort. When it's time to replace you due to your RE announcement, it simply means the job description they'll be filling is different that it would be now. It's no issue, no big deal. One way or the other, someone new will be filling your shoes.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #39

Two weeks notice is all I plan to give. I've seen too many get let go with two minutes warning, sometimes with zero severance pay. Besides, six months is plenty of time for them to come up with a succession plan, even if you're Bill Gates.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I think 2 months is a good compromise, especially if you and your boss are on good terms.

I let various people know I was thinking about prolly 6 months before the fact which is retrospect was a mistake. The one thing I did which I am proud of as a favor to my boss, who hired me somewhat as a favor, was to volunteer to take a slightly below average review. The important thing was she was able to allocate my stock options to the rest of her staff who were at lower grade level. This was 2 months before I took my leave of absence.

As turns out in 1999 the stock was high, and the stock options would have been under water until this last year, so I didn't give up anything...