Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Give the OP a break. Unlike you (and I agree with you), most of us thought we were pretty important in our jobs while we still had them.
I don't think I was being hard on the OP. He asked for advice and I (repeatedly) gave it to him. I just think he's committed to his original course of action. It may work out for him. If I had ever tried a similar approach when in a management role, I don't think it would have worked out for me. He has chosen what he believes is the "honorable" way that does what he believes is right for his organization. I'd like to hear how it really does play out even though it's well over a year in the future.

I'm not sure what the second sentence means. I've repeatedly put in posts about my significant management position that I typically describe as "when I thought I was important." I used to think I was a key individual but it was clearly demonstrated to me that no one is important when the right people get pissed off at you for whatever reason they choose.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

20 months to go and MegaCorp has big plans for me!
Old 10-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

20 months to go and MegaCorp has big plans for me!

I am actually both a manager and a highly skilled design engineer. I direct an entire business unit that I started internally that they previously struggled with and yet I am also 95% directly billable production as well. Despite the finger in water analogy given, I know they will clearly suffer as they have been praising my arrival since the day I started. I have fixed many previously neglected problems and started a smooth highly profitable design discipline that they relied on third parties prior who messed up almost everything they touched. Hence the nice bonuses and company wide respect. It's been a perfect fit and highly win win for all parties. Problem is that at year 4-5 at anyplace I go my reputation starts to work against me. I have to be very skilled at not only doing the projects I accept and spread amounts my group, but also in workload strategy and knowing what and who to turn down without burning bridges.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 10-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
I am actually both a manager and a highly skilled design engineer. I direct an entire business unit that I started internally that they previously struggled with and yet I am also 95% directly billable production as well. Despite the finger in water analogy given, I know they will clearly suffer as they have been praising my arrival since the day I started. I have fixed many previously neglected problems and started a smooth highly profitable design discipline that they relied on third parties prior who messed up almost everything they touched. Hence the nice bonuses and company wide respect. It's been a perfect fit and highly win win for all parties. Problem is that at year 4-5 at anyplace I go my reputation starts to work against me. I have to be very skilled at not only doing the projects I accept and spread amounts my group, but also in workload strategy and knowing what and who to turn down without burning bridges.
Sounds like you love your job and are irreplaceable.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #64

No I love my free time far more.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I'm not sure what the second sentence means. I've repeatedly put in posts about my significant management position that I typically describe as "when I thought I was important." I used to think I was a key individual but it was clearly demonstrated to me that no one is important when the right people get pissed off at you for whatever reason they choose.
I merely meant that most of us had to wait until we left the job to realize that our importance to the business was purely in our heads. You've managed to learn the lesson earlier, while still employed.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'll take on 1099 projects at double my rate after a few months off ONLY with my favorite Project managers.
I assume that you are being facetious, given your previous remark that you "plan to NEVER work for someone else again".

Quote:
There is an advantage for me to tell somewhT earlier than just a few weeks. I work on projects and get asked all the time to take on another. That decision is partly my own based on my availability. At some point its going to be nice to put it simply " can't take on your project, I'm retiring from the company in x weeks. "
Perhaps. But if I were you I would just say "can't take on your project, I'm too busy with my current load". That would accomplish the same end, but wouldn't have the same risks.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I assume that you are being facetious, given your previous remark that you "plan to NEVER work for someone else again".

Perhaps. But if I were you I would just say "can't take on your project, I'm too busy with my current load". That would accomplish the same end, but wouldn't have the same risks.

No. I might I'd work on occassional projects for spending money when it fits into my schedule. I'm my own boss at that point. Totally third party project deliverable. There is no "man" factor anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum