Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
it's really pretty easy. You go on with your plans for RE saying nothing. If/when expansion of your role happens, accept it and do your very best to excel and give your employer your best effort. When it's time to replace you due to your RE announcement, it simply means the job description they'll be filling is different that it would be now. It's no issue, no big deal. One way or the other, someone new will be filling your shoes.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I let various people know I was thinking about prolly probably 6 months before the fact which is retrospect was a mistake.
Fixed.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #42

Is the planned expansion of your group an opportunity to quietly "hire your replacement"?
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seems like there is only downside to giving notice more than a month or two early.

Can anyone think of upside to a longer notice?
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old 10-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Can anyone think of upside to a longer notice?
Providing more than two weeks would presumably be appreciated by your boss, and thus might - might! - translate into a slightly improved letter of reference or something similar … but to my way of thinking, that possible benefit is outweighed by the obvious downside.

As Francis Bacon said, knowledge is power. Why voluntarily give up some of that power and place yourself at the mercy of your employer?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #46

If you like the people you work with and want to allow for a longer transition, then a longer notice may be appropriate. But be prepared for them to do nothing useful about a transition until the day you leave, then ask you to stay longer. You providing advance notice may not compel them to use it effectively.

Also, having been a member of committees deciding bonuses and promotions/raises. There is no way I would ever give any kind of notice until I was also prepared to be walked out the door that very day. If there's a bonus to be paid or an eligibility for a pension, or other benefit, I will NEVER give notice until AFTER the day it is awarded and for bonuses, the day I actually have the cash. I have seen far too many people shortchanged when a departure date is known. The bonus/raise/benefit is redirected to reward people who are still employed in hopes of retaining them. It is rarely viewed as a reward for a job well done if you are leaving, and even then in most cases top management reallocated it to someone else over the managers objections.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:01 AM   #47

This thread is getting strange IMHO. The question is how long to give notice when leaving. Back when I thought I was important to an organization, I dealt with the sudden departure of what I thought of as a key person (two weeks or less notice). We always survived. I have led people that were key to operations or to a project to the door due to immediate terminiation for cause and never had a disaster because of it. When I was told how unimportant I really was when I was let go during a merger, I was walked to HR, given my exit interview/severance and put out the front door immediately. The comedy of this is that I was too important to have hanging around with them knowing I knew I was leaving.

An earlier post about putting your thumb into a bowl of water and pulling it out to see what difference it made is a great analogy.

Here's my compromise.....

Decide when the "best" date is for you to leave. Give two weeks notice in an upbeat, positive, "really enjoyed the opportunity here but it's time to retire" note. See what they would like you to do in the way of transition. They may ask for an extra few weeks or they may not. There's no way in God's green earth that they need more than 4 weeks.

Giving too much advance notice only works against your interests. If you have the mistaken belief you "owe" any more than two weeks notice, you can stay a week or two longer. Any more than that and you are just being played.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll be in a similar situation at about the same time as you. I'll give them 4 weeks notice AFTER i get my annual bonus. I'll throw out a bone that I could stay longer, depending on circumstances (how fast does the house sell, is my replacement here and ready to be trained), but it'll be my decision.

The reality for many of us is that our ego tells us that we are so valuable, while the reality is that some tasks may not get done or may not be done to our standards, but they'll muddle through.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn_the_Page View Post
The reality for many of us is that our ego tells us that we are so valuable, while the reality is that some tasks may not get done or may not be done to our standards, but they'll muddle through.
They won't "muddle." They won't even really know you're gone.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #50

20 months to go and MegaCorp has big plans for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Is the planned expansion of your group an opportunity to quietly "hire your replacement"?

I had thought of that. In an ideal world getting my secret replacement on board about 4 months prior would be perfect, but actually getting that lucky?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Providing more than two weeks would presumably be appreciated by your boss, and thus might - might! - translate into a slightly improved letter of reference or something similar … but to my way of thinking, that possible benefit is outweighed by the obvious downside.

As Francis Bacon said, knowledge is power. Why voluntarily give up some of that power and place yourself at the mercy of your employer?

Future references will be of no consequence to me as I plan to NEVER work for someone else again!😉

Old 10-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
I had thought of that. In an ideal workd getting my secret replacement on board about 4 months prior would be perfect, but actually getting that lucky?
The problem with your plan is "what makes you think that the one you "anoint" will actually be selected to be your replacement?" (assuming you are made a supervisor). I can assure you that if you announce your retirement you will not have a significant role in finding a replacement. You will probably not have a role in it at all.

Since you can't promise anything to anyone, how do you entice an obviously qualified replacement for you to accept the position?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #53

20 months to go and MegaCorp has big plans for me!

I am already a regional Director so I can hire at the manager level below me an obvious successor if I pick from a known pool of experience. I just need to woo one of several younger former co workers to accept at the right time.

There is an advantage for me to tell somewhT earlier than just a few weeks. I work on projects and get asked all the time to take on another. That decision is partly my own based on my availability. At some point its going to be nice to put it simply " can't take on your project, I'm retiring from the company in x weeks. "

I'll take on 1099 projects at double my rate after a few months off ONLY with my favorite Project managers.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Future references will be of no consequence to me as I plan to NEVER work for someone else again!
There you go, then. No upside whatsoever to providing more than minimum notice.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #55

My FIL gave 1year notice. He is a very well respected MD. Reason was some clients he saw only once a year and wanted them to know. I cannot wait for the party. He is such a well respected man. He speaks and the whole room listens. That is power if you ask me.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
.......... He speaks and the whole room listens. ..........
He could always get a job with E.F. Hutton
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #57

Quote:
I am already a regional Director so I can hire at the manager level below me an obvious successor if I pick from a known pool of experience. I just need to woo one of several younger former co workers to accept at the right time.

There is an advantage for me to tell somewhT earlier than just a few weeks. I work on projects and get asked all the time to take on another. That decision is partly my own based on my availability. At some point its going to be nice to put it simply " can't take on your project, I'm retiring from the company in x weeks. "

I'll take on 1099 projects at double my rate after a few months off ONLY with my favorite Project managers.

You are obviously committed and have your mind made up. I realize its way off in the future but please be sure to update the forum on what happens. It also sounds like you're not really planning to fully retire but are attempting/planning to work part time for the same employer.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
My FIL gave 1year notice. He is a very well respected MD.
Doctors are different especially when they are leaving a practice. They are also "skill workers" where the income to any practice depends on the number of skill workers available.

I'm also a "skill worker" (engineer) with no management function. I could probably announce my retirement a years in advance and people would just chuckle. I could keep on working but I suspect I'd be the first to go if a lay off happened.

The OP is a management type. It's been my experience that once an organization knows a manager is a lame duck they are marginalized and pretty much ignored. I have seen cases where a manager was in the process of being fired where they still had enough power to screw up someones career. However, I doubt they could positively alter anyone's career. Generally, everywhere I've been seem to readily run people down rather than build them up.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
You are obviously committed and have your mind made up. I realize its way off in the future but please be sure to update the forum on what happens. It also sounds like you're not really planning to fully retire but are attempting/planning to work part time for the same employer.
Give the OP a break. Unlike you (and I agree with you), most of us thought we were pretty important in our jobs while we still had them. It took leaving, keeping in touch for a while, and seeing that our departure didn't cause a single ripple in the work pool before we internalized it. He'll figure it out, assuming he actually does leave. It's a bit of a humbling, but also quite freeing, experience.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #60

After trying without success to get RIF'd, I gave one month's notice. The boss relaxed when it became clear that I would put in the effort to train my successors rather than simply not care anymore. That went a long way toward reducing the awkwardness of being a lame duck.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote