Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Marty...Keep a good percentage in the S and C funds...

Thank you Cassie. Now I feel like an official retiree! That's something to be proud of!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My retirement was the end of January 2010 and it took exactly 6 months for the pension to be adjudicated. I retired under CSRS.

Congratulations to the new retirees!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Marty...Keep a good percentage in the S and C funds...

Couple of good sources for TSP investing. They are free.

The Fed Trader

TSP Allocation Strategy Guide
Old 03-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #64

Hey...A question about State taxes.

I think OPM and TSP are only taking out Federal taxes now when you get your retirement deposits. How should I handle the state tax side since they are getting none? Opinions and directions from the new retired gang and long been retired gang...
Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

The OPM Service Online site has a link on the Main Menu to enter state withholding if you so desire. It also has a link to change your Fed withholding as well.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:04 AM   #66

Thanks Greg! I did not know that. I will get into it this morning.

What about TSP?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post
The OPM Service Online site has a link on the Main Menu to enter state withholding if you so desire. It also has a link to change your Fed withholding as well.
I did not see where the link was for State tax. Just shows Federal tax. I dug around and researched... and it looks like the state option only becomes available after you become finalized. Then you can add it, (each state that has taxes has it's own ID number to enter), and how much to deduct each pay period. I suppose OPM does not want us twiddling around with tax withdrawal amounts when they have not figured what our final retirement numbers are, nor have paid what we are owed, yet.

Bottom line...When you become finalized, the OPM Service Online site adds the state tax option as well as making the federal tax option available for you to adjust the tax deduction amounts.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

My bad...thought you were finalized. BTW, in my experience, the online process to change withholding has worked well. I've had my change confirmed relatively quickly along with the pay date it would take effect.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #69

Hey Greg...No problem! It gave me a chance to explore the OPM web site and I learned some things I did not know.

How long have you been retired? CSRS?
Old 03-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired under FERS in mid-2012. Though I enjoyed my career, it has been a nice upgrade in lifestyle.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post
Retired under FERS in mid-2012. Though I enjoyed my career, it has been a nice upgrade in lifestyle.
That's great! How come you didn't hold out till January and get 100% on SL applied to your time?

As for me...this has been a great way to end a career! Once OPM gets things settled, my take home pay will almost double as compared to when I was working. We had been living on a portion of my salary, had everything paid off for about 15 years and investing heavily. Is this a great life or what?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Based on change in Bosses, having already been a commuter to the job for 11+ years, etc, mid-2012 was the right time. The difference in annuity wasn't very much.

Interesting that the vid link you attached showed up in email, but not in the forum. It reminds me of flying, many years ago, with a pal who owned a 1947 J-3 Cub.

If you like the powered version, take a look at this link for unpowered.

I bet we could get to this level of skill in no time...NOT.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #73

Wow! I have never seen skill or anything like that before. That gets me pumped! What a rush!

I have been interested in powered parachutes for awhile. And I think I will get into it this summer. A one seater with training. I know which model I want to get. With powered parachutes, the two seater requires Sport Pilot License, flight time, solo, FAA registration, inspection, recertifications, and numbers. That's because of having a passenger, more weight, more fuel, etc. Regulated.

One seater requires nothing. No license, no inspections, no numbers etc.
Gotta be 254 pounds or less, 5 gallons fuel, any more...gotta be registered and licensed. But it's good to get some training before you get one and have someone test fly your ride before you get in it. Touch and go's are some of the most important training.

I had originally posted about getting a chute, then retracted it because it might be over the top in the ER forum...But now you got me going...
Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I was finalized by OPM yesterday, March 10, 2014. Two months to finalize as I retired Jan 11, 2014. They say I should receive the little booklet in the mail in two to three weeks. Numbers were right on line with what my agency had calculated. My final FERS after survivor is $3 less than what my agency figured and my SS Special Supplement is 25 dollars more. So I'll be making $22 more than I thought.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations Kaufmanrider, that is wonderful news...another retirement milestone! It's a good feeling, enjoy.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #76

Wow Kaufman...You have been the earliest FERS person to be finalized that I have heard of! Talk about all the pieces coming together at the right time!

That means you can now get on with life! How are you going to celebrate?

You know...this past two months have flown by! Where did the time go? I don't have any regrets about retiring in the middle of the winter, either. I got to enjoy the bad weather for once instead of having to get out in it to go to work. I am ex-Weather Service.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Wow Kaufman...You have been the earliest FERS person to be finalized that I have heard of! Talk about all the pieces coming together at the right time!

That means you can now get on with life! How are you going to celebrate
Flying to California next week for a two week vacation. Actually, visiting my family in the San Francisco Bay Area and then the wife's family down in the Central Coast-Paso Robles area.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #78
Administrator

Congratulations, Kaufmanrider! Now you can kick back and enjoy your vacation because everything is all set.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #79

Hey...Guess what?

I am finalized! I looked this morning on the OPM Services website, and it was done on the 12th. And I just got done adding my state tax withdrawal amount to the new link that was added...now that I am finalized. I can't believe they did it in about two months for FERS people. And my FERS suppliment has also been added and done! And it was $6 more than I had figured. I guess the sick leave added probably had the difference.

Life is Good!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #80
Administrator

Congratulations, Redbugdave! That sure was fast.

And I agree, kudos to OPM for finally catching up with that backlog and handling FERS retirements so fast.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014 feds, feds