2014 retired FED and going to retire FEDs...

Wow Kaufman...You have been the earliest FERS person to be finalized that I have heard of! Talk about all the pieces coming together at the right time!

That means you can now get on with life! How are you going to celebrate?

You know...this past two months have flown by! Where did the time go? I don't have any regrets about retiring in the middle of the winter, either. I got to enjoy the bad weather for once instead of having to get out in it to go to work. I am ex-Weather Service.

Wow Kaufman...You have been the earliest FERS person to be finalized that I have heard of! Talk about all the pieces coming together at the right time!

That means you can now get on with life! How are you going to celebrate

Flying to California next week for a two week vacation. Actually, visiting my family in the San Francisco Bay Area and then the wife's family down in the Central Coast-Paso Robles area.

Congratulations, Kaufmanrider! Now you can kick back and enjoy your vacation because everything is all set.

Hey...Guess what?

I am finalized! I looked this morning on the OPM Services website, and it was done on the 12th. And I just got done adding my state tax withdrawal amount to the new link that was added...now that I am finalized. I can't believe they did it in about two months for FERS people. And my FERS suppliment has also been added and done! And it was $6 more than I had figured. I guess the sick leave added probably had the difference.

Life is Good!

Congratulations, Redbugdave! That sure was fast.

And I agree, kudos to OPM for finally catching up with that backlog and handling FERS retirements so fast.

Hey...Guess what?

I am finalized! I looked this morning on the OPM Services website, and it was done on the 12th. And I just got done adding my state tax withdrawal amount to the new link that was added...now that I am finalized. I can't believe they did it in about two months for FERS people. And my FERS suppliment has also been added and done! And it was $6 more than I had figured. I guess the sick leave added probably had the difference.

Life is Good!

Congratulations! It's very good that OPM is getting the retirements finalized sooner. Hopefully that backlog is getting smaller and smaller.

Congratulations Redbugdave, yes...life is good & kudos again to OPM.

@Kaufminder....enjoy your California trip!

Look what I got yesterday...the Fed God sent me a Retirement Bible!

Attachments

• Ret Booklet 3-20-2014.JPG
    Ret Booklet 3-20-2014.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 13
Most excellent! Congrats to you, still enjoying retirement? :)

Yes, I am. No regrets whatsoever. I have a calendar that I keep to log upcoming events and reminders. Some days conflict and I have to reschedule. It's nice to be free and not have most of my days taken up with work. I have gotten a few emails from my friends at work asking directions on several tasks and helped them out. And a couple of my work friends want to take me out on a work trip and free lunch April 1st. So, they will sneak out of the office and we will have a work-doggle.

How about you? Are you adjusting? Any second thoughts? Opinions?

Congrats, Dave! I'm planning to submit (again) my paperwork in the next few days.

Yes, I am. No regrets whatsoever. I have a calendar that I keep to log upcoming events and reminders. Some days conflict and I have to reschedule. It's nice to be free and not have most of my days taken up with work. I have gotten a few emails from my friends at work asking directions on several tasks and helped them out. And a couple of my work friends want to take me out on a work trip and free lunch April 1st. So, they will sneak out of the office and we will have a work-doggle.

How about you? Are you adjusting? Any second thoughts? Opinions?

I am loving it! I've joined a Walking Group, so I get up early Tues & Thurs, however, it's worth it. I really like the freedom and being on my own time table. I make an annual trip to Las Vegas and this year I don't have to worry about "how much leave" I'll use. Enjoy your lunch April 1st!

@ Martyb...you're next :)

Thank you Cassie!

Marty...I noticed on the Class of 2014 thread you gave notice for July 3rd. You are CSRS? If so, that is a good time. Your first retirement check will be dated the first day of the next month since your retirement will begin on the 4th. So, you will get paid for July. Good deal! If you are FERS, you are better waiting till the last of the month.

Once you turn in your paperwork, you will start to feel free.

Last edited:
Hermit from Class of 2013 says Congratulations! Glad to hear you whipped that OMY virus. :dance:

Yeah, I guess OMY didn't hurt me too bad...only delayed me by less than 1 1/2 yrs. :cool: Now I have to figure out what I'm gonna do all day!:confused: Just kiddin', there are fish to catch, places to go & people to see!:D

Just checking in to see how you new retired and going to be retired Feds are getting along.

As for me...Life is Great! The days have begun to melt into one another, spring is here, and I am Happy! And I have my calendar to keep my life on track. This is the most relaxed I have ever been.

Looking back on it...
"I'm glad I did it, partly because it was worth doing, but mostly because I'll never have to do it again."....Mark Twain

Just checking in to see how you new retired and going to be retired Feds are getting along.

As for me...Life is Great! The days have begun to melt into one another, spring is here, and I am Happy! And I have my calendar to keep my life on track. This is the most relaxed I have ever been.

Looking back on it...
"I'm glad I did it, partly because it was worth doing, but mostly because I'll never have to do it again."....Mark Twain

Hi there! Well it's been 3.5 months & I'm loving retirement. Went on another vacation (Las Vegas) and didn't have to worry about leave. I joined a Walking Group & meet up 2x a week at the Mall & 1x a month at Denny's. I too started keeping a calendar.....it is so nice to be able to schedule stuff during the week...tomorrow I'm getting my carpet cleaned...Thurs getting the AC checked....you're right Life Is great! Glad things are going well for you!

Last edited:
Retired 1 April 2014 - 33 yrs 3 mos CSRS. Received my Lump Sum annual payout on 11 April. Haven't decided what to do with TSP yet.

Glad to hear that OPM processing looks to be getting a little better.

Going to my first retirement breakfast tomorrow with some coworkers that beat me to retirement.

I received a check in the mail from DFAS, $138...with NO explanation. I cashed it figuring if it's a mistake it is not much to repay.

Congratulations Nerkdawg on your retirement, hope you enjoyed the breakfast.

I received a check in the mail from DFAS, $138...with NO explanation. I cashed it figuring if it's a mistake it is not much to repay.

Congratulations Nerkdawg on your retirement, hope you enjoyed the breakfast.

Interesting on the check. Was DFAS your pay processing center when you worked?

I was told by my agency that after Pay Period 8, which I believe ended April 5, your former ;) agency pay center processes a 2014 COLA you are owed for the lump sum annual leave payment received after the 1% took effect, i.e., Jan 12, 2014.

To new retirees, congrats. I have been retired 3 months now and I am enjoying it.

76 days, including weekends, holidays, and a few sick days I'm gonna use up. ;)

Back
Top Bottom