Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have utterly abandoned attempts to save big on airfares, except that I find I can get the best deals by buying tickets far in advance of travel (even as far as the max of 320 days). According to one website, the best deals are usually between 30 and 90 days in advance of your trip, with 54 days being the most advantageous on average.

OK, so let's say you've bought your tickets.
Like Chuckanut, I won't submit to excessive travel time, so the most direct flights are preferred.

But if you're going to Europe, and you want to travel around the continent, train travel has air travel beat by a mile for cost. And it can really be rather pleasant at times.

The other thing I generally do is to get a hotel that is within walking distance of the city center, but not right in the center. That saves a heap of Euros right there. And once I've checked in, I immediately go looking for the closest grocery store so I can have some fresh chow in the room if I want.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
According to one website, the best deals are usually between 30 and 90 days in advance of your trip, with 54 days being the most advantageous on average.
The guy I heard on the radio did not think that was true these days. Unless an airline has that rare flight that has a high percentage of empty seats, they won't reduce fares much if at all. And you take the chance of having to sit in a middle seat, separated from your companions, between two POS fliers.

Note: I can only remember one fairly empty flight I have taken in the past three years, and I fly about 6-8 times a year. It was only a two hour flight. The last few trips I have taken, they were asking for bump volunteers on every leg. Not so good.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are searching on a weekend or around the holidays, the price might be higher. I got an insanely low price for airfare and hotel package from Baltimore to San Diego for mid-January. Airfare alone was $555 but when I did it with a three night stay at a 3 star hotel ON THE WATER the total was $750, about $370 each for airfare and hotel. I searched midweek and during the day. Try the same search on Tuesday or even the first full week in January and see what shows up. The day and time of your flight matters a lot too, but I found out years ago that sometimes the fare seems to go up and down depending on when you search. I know someone that booked a round trip from Baltimore to Maui for less than three hundred dollars about ten years ago because of a one day mistake on published airfares. Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
So you're saying it works like high frequency trading on the market.

I'm using Kayak for the most part - which then goes to all the different airline sites. It doesn't seem to change the price.

I check flight prices on Tuesday afternoons - since that's supposed to be the time that new fare sales are loaded into the system.

Also - aren't travelocity and expedia loaded on top of the sabre flight system - which I don't think works as you're described... it's the same system the counter clerks at the airport use.
If you haven't tried it, then I'd also recommend flights.google.com. This is the site I hit whenever I'm trying to figure out the cheapest options between two cities.

Out of curiosity, I went ahead and put in 6/29 to 8/24 (8 weeks) from LAX. RT to Barcelona is $1431 (expensive), but you can get to London for $948 RT. Or Rome for $986 RT. I see a lot of major European cities for around $1000 RT.

I don't know your exact dates, but using budget carriers in Europe with a cheap RT ticket to a major European city might be a good option. I know you mentioned you looked at this before, so this might not be helpful.

As a side note, I noticed that Palma de Mallorca is $1185 RT from LAX. You could always take the ferry from Barcelona and for the $250/person you save in plane fare, maybe get an extra city out of your trip.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #25

Ferry is overnight.

Mallorca is one of the places I want to go. Not easy to find flights from US to it. Better to go to Madrid or Barcelona and take a short flight from there.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I clipped out a chart from a 2013 Kayak study of pricing which shows some optimal points to book flights:

We're going in late August 2015 so I'm thinking of booking around June.

Also Google flights can show lots of data in an easy to view way. As an example, click on this link and then clink in the August 27 box which will show you flights costs by days for August and Sept. This is useful if you are flexible. Link to click: https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...bruary+10+2015
Ah, to be retired. I wish I could book a trip only two months in advance. I usually end up paying extra because we have to juggle time off from work with kid's breaks. The problem with these big trips with family is that you don't want to figure out all the details with only two months before you leave. Especially if you have certain fixed criteria that you need to meet (yes, we're going to Rome, Paris, etc). I also look forward to being able to travel in the off season, spring or early fall. A few more years before this becomes a reality for us, but this is on top of our 'what are we going to do all day' list when we finally pull the plug.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Ferry is overnight.

Mallorca is one of the places I want to go. Not easy to find flights from US to it. Better to go to Madrid or Barcelona and take a short flight from there.
Out of curiosity, I clicked on the flight and it's Norwegian airlines through London Gatwick. I originally thought this must be a code shared flight, because why would Norwegian airlines fly from London to Mallorca? Not the case the though. It is Norwegian airlines. It also says that the flight is often delayed 30+ min. Maybe it's not the best option.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #28

I can get addicted to google flights pretty easily. Out of curiosity, I went with one way tickets from Mallorca to LAX on 8/24. $573/ticket. You can find the same ticket on 9/2 for $337 (wow) and some other dates in August for $495.

Now to get to Europe cheaply leaving 6/29. London for $447. Or Rome for $535.

This brings it to a bit over $1000/ticket, which is pretty good.

Flying out of Barcelona instead of Mallorca looks to be pricey. But you could fly from Barcelona to Mallorca for $38/ticket. Or you could fly from Barcelona to London ($98) or Paris ($59) and get back home from there.

As I mentioned earlier, I can't wait until I have more time to make these trips myself. $337 to Mallorca from LAX? I'm a bit north from LAX, but that price is a deal. Of course, you'd still have to get home somehow.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #29

And for my encore, $39/ticket from Rome to Catania. So that would be:

LAX -> Rome = $535
Rome -> Catania = $39
Mallorca -> LAX = $495

Total = $1069/ticket.

This is leaving on 6/29 and returning end of August (I picked the cheaper $495 ticket). You could probably substitute Mallorca with Barcelona by flying from Barcelona to a major European city and then flying home from there.

I've now posted a lot of info, hopefully not too much. It was a fun afternoon diversion for me. Hopefully it's helpful.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We travel from the US West Coast, so Europe is about 10 to 11 hours for a nonstop. For that reason we are just going to book a nonstop only. Also it's been recommended by experienced flyer's to go with a European carrier like Swiss Air to get the best service and comfort.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I did not go back to see the whole quote... but someone said that they upload ticket prices on Tuesday...

That is false... I had a brother and sister who worked for the airlines at one point in time... brother worked on the reservation systems... he said that prices are updated on a continuous basis... IOW, there could be thousands of price changes every day...
Old 12-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

2015 Travel to Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I did not go back to see the whole quote... but someone said that they upload ticket prices on Tuesday...

That is false... I had a brother and sister who worked for the airlines at one point in time... brother worked on the reservation systems... he said that prices are updated on a continuous basis... IOW, there could be thousands of price changes every day...

It's been a loooooong time since ticket prices were updated by shipping a magnetic tape to the SABRE folks. :-) These new-fangled 'timesharing' computer systems get updated at any time. Even better, 'shopping' algorithms can track behavior and offer different prices to different customers based on what the algorithms estimate they can get away with would deliver the optimal customer experience.

It's called "New Distribution Capability", an exciting new technology to personalize the delivery of airline services. ;-)
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/stb/Doc...e-nov-2012.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Tuesday has been a good day of the week for me. Seems like prices jump on Wednesday.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:56 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

One trick I have learned for last-minute travel is to book airfare and hotel together through one of the sites such as travelocity or expedia. Typically last-minute airfare is super expensive, but not when bundled! Give it try.

For example:

airfare to Dublin from major US city: 1800 Dec31-Jan6
airfare plus hotel at westin in Dublin same dates : approx 1800

And today is Dec 29!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:57 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Tuesday has been a good day of the week for me. Seems like prices jump on Wednesday.
Tues and Wed are typically cheapest airfares if you do a Sat night stay.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
Tues and Wed are typically cheapest airfares if you do a Sat night stay.
I meant buying the tickets on a Tuesday, not necessarily flying to Europe on a Tues or Wed.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I meant buying the tickets on a Tuesday, not necessarily flying to Europe on a Tues or Wed.
oh, yes. well perhaps both are true!
Old 12-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
We travel from the US West Coast, so Europe is about 10 to 11 hours for a nonstop. For that reason we are just going to book a nonstop only. Also it's been recommended by experienced flyer's to go with a European carrier like Swiss Air to get the best service and comfort.
I hope you enjoy your flight on Swiss. I fly Swiss a lot and my experience has been pretty good. I wish they had more legroom in coach though.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #39

Swiss seems fine enough but if you transit through ZRH to another European destination, you're often landing at 5 PM or later local time.

Prefer to land much earlier.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I'm saying that the prices sometimes rise when you use the same computer to search the same flights at the same website. I read this in an online article and checked it for myself. Ive searched a flight...then searched again a day or two later only to see a higher price. Then, within minutes, I checked the same flight from a different computer and was shown a lower price. It doesn't happen all the time, but Ive just started using private browsing so I don't have to worry about it.
+1
You can also install a second browser on your computer.
I like firefox as it has this cool feature to erase all history from say last 2 hours. So you don't mess up your normal browsing, but can check a price and if you don't buy it, erase your 2 hour history.
Soon the airlines will use Uber pricing

Tags
2015 airfare.