2015 Travel to Europe

Travelers flying out of New York, Boston or Chicago can often catch a flight inexpensively on Aer Lingus through Dublin or Icelandic Airlines through Reykevik.

Very true. We got a great deal back in June this way. Drove to Newark (ugh!) and flew Icelandic to Brussels with a most delightful four day stop in Reykjavik. We flew Economy Comfort class, and since Business Class was only half full (on all four legs of our trip), they just put us up there with the high rollers.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

A young cousin was stationed in Reykjavik in the Marines--guarding the U.S. Embassy.

He absolutely loved living there. They'd hitchhike into town nights to hit the bars, and loads of beautiful women would pick them up. Then they'd ask what time they wanted a ride back to the base. Sounds like a pretty wild place.

Icelandic can also get you to other great places like Stockholm, Copenhagen and Oslo. But Summer's the time to go there--and I only go in Spring and Fall.

I've noticed that at this particular moment - roundtrip tickets to Milan for this summer, are MUCH cheaper than the other cities. I'm seeing r/t San Diego/Milan at $1250. Barcelona is $1450ish, and the other cities are higher than that.

Realistically, for me alternatives to flight are not possible, though I like the idea of making a crossing for at least one way to Europe. Maybe, when I don't have to work about others who still work for a living.:eek:

I can certainly find cheaper flights, if I don't mind spending anywhere from 26 to 30 hours in transit. Or spending extra on hotel stays, more transportation, etc. But, again, that conflicts with others who have a limited time for this trip thanks to 'work'. (My apologies for using that word on this forum. :rolleyes:)

I do appreciate al the tips and notes on what worked for others.

Very true. We got a great deal back in June this way. Drove to Newark (ugh!) and flew Icelandic to Brussels with a most delightful four day stop in Reykjavik. We flew Economy Comfort class, and since Business Class was only half full (on all four legs of our trip), they just put us up there with the high rollers.

i've used icelandic also. I liked them quite a bit.
there is another iceland airline called WOW that has some good prices
i have not tried them yet though..

Well, I paid extra for a non-red eye to the UK, and United apparently didn't have us packed in tightly enough, so they put the whole plane load of us on a flight 8 hours later. I hate oligopolies! :facepalm:

Rodi, your family vacation sounds amazing! What a trip!

The only suggestion I will offer is to work some miles into your planning through bonus miles from the airline credit cards.

I booked two one-way flights to London last year and one round trip for DH this year on miles, and a first class home from Mongolia for me, and three one-ways from Tokyo home for DH and two friends, plus a round trip for DH to Chile next week, all with miles only.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Rodi, your family vacation sounds amazing! What a trip!

The only suggestion I will offer is to work some miles into your planning through bonus miles from the airline credit cards.

I booked two one-way flights to London last year and one round trip for DH this year on miles, and a first class home from Mongolia for me, and three one-ways from Tokyo home for DH and two friends, plus a round trip for DH to Chile next week, all with miles only.

That is great. How do you rack up so many miles? From other flying trips, credit cards or some other ways?

We don't have a choice about not going to Europe because of family so the current air fares are a travel budget hit for us.

Oh it is a great little hobby!
Basically I started because a traveling friend challenged me to try it.

The key is to watch for good bonus deals from the biggest ones: Chase, Barclays, and Citibank. My first was the Chase Sapphire, and I just got a new Citibank American Airlines card that I'm working the spend on now. Those are favorites, as the Sapphire points transfer 1:1 to United and AA is one of the easiest to find award flights.

Fuego is probably even better at this stuff than I am, but that retired SOB has more time on his hands to scout deals than a working stiff like me! :)
j/k

Each card will have a minimum spend, say $3000 in 3 months, in order to get the bonus. I typically keep the card for a year, then cancel when the annual fee is charged. Not much hit to my credit score, despite what you hear.

We have a few threads around here on the subject, but you might also check out flyertalk, which is also a good place to learn about the current bonus offerings.

Sarah, maybe I'm missing something with the credit card schemes. Does one get a better deal taking the points in airlines miles versus taking the points in cash and then buying the ticket? I've been doing the later.

I would think taking the CC points in miles also forces one to use a particular airline. Not always optimal.

We play the credit card/miles game also. Read thepointsguy.com - lots of great info there. We are going to Spain in March, from Boston. The cheapest we could find was 850, but after working miles on AA for a few days we finally got two RT tickets BOS-PHI-MAD for 126 total, 100K miles (for both tickets). On two of the legs we are not together, but we are experienced travelers so OK with it.

The best play I ever made was when I was working and had to do a tour throughout Asia. My company made me fly United (hate them) and I knew I would never fly them again. So I added up the miles I would earn on this trip, and as I got on planes I collected all the CC offers from various airlines/banks. I applied when I got back and we ended up with two RT tickets to Europe. ;-) I canceled the cards after I met the requirements to keep the miles.

The airfares have really gotten bad to Europe. We used to pick up flights to Europe for $400 in winter so would go over for 4 or 5 days. Now the cheapest we find is $700 or so, and usually more than $800, even off season.

Lsbcal, for Barclays, you can use the points for paying for tickets, I wanna say it was a statement credit for $400 the last time I got the Arrival card.

But for the others, it is very easy to use the miles and choose whatever carrier you prefer. I am agnostic in this regard, though I will say it has been very hard in the past to find decent award tickets for Delta. United is an easy one, as is American.

Also, Southwest has a good deal for those who qualify for business and personal cards, where you can get 100k bonus miles and a free companion pass. We did that about year ago, though didn't get to use it but three times, just because we were flying outside the USA more.

Thanks Sarah for the reply.

We do not fly all that much. Planning a trip to Europe in late August. The recommendation on the Rick Steves site was to use Swiss Air to get a nonstop flight to Zurich. For us those 11 hour flghts are no fun so we'd like to maximize the probability of a good economy class experience. So using cash rather then points is more convenient for us.

We do have a Chase Sapphire card and that $400 bonus was nice. So far I've just held on to the card and not tried other offers. Maybe the Chase Ink card is a possible replacement but I'm not all that anxious to go through the process of applying, getting a security freeze lifted, and canceling another card with some links to autopay accounts.

Interesting that flight prices are up with fuel prices down. Maybe with the Euro drop airlines expect a lot more travelers from the US to Europe?

The airfares have really gotten bad to Europe. We used to pick up flights to Europe for $400 in winter so would go over for 4 or 5 days. Now the cheapest we find is $700 or so, and usually more than $800, even off season.

About five years ago I got a winter RT fare from the west coast to London for $530. Most of the fare was taxes and fees.

But, today it's 800+, assuming I am willing to spend at least twice as many hours in transit compared to the non stop flights. Not so good.

Planes are packed.

There has been consolidation in the industry and airlines have cut flights, to remove capacity.

I don't know where you're coming up with $800 airfares, unless it's from large NE cities to London.

Summer, 2015 fares are often north of $1,500 unless you're flying NorwegianAir or a very few budget air carriers. Even Winter airfares (through March 27th) have been at an all time high.

They say fuel prices are dropping, but airlines have booked their 2014 jet fuel on the commodities at last year's prices.

Yes, the packed planes are an issue. If your flight is canceled, it can take days to get on another flight. Since we are in Boston, it's our biggest fear in terms of weather. We used to fly out of Providence RI a bit but it is risky - there are much fewer flights there and if there is a mechanical issue or delay you are out of luck. So we drive into Boston for the safety.

Not a flight to Europe but an example of why I no longer have a desire to travel by air anywhere:

Hundreds of air travelers landed in San Francisco, safe but irritated after a 28-hour overseas flight they say included 12 hours on a tarmac in the Middle East without food or accurate flight information.
Passengers Complain of 12-Hour Wait on Tarmac - ABC News

WE flew Norwegian Air in Oct & the planes were new & very nice. Since we were going to Poland we did need to transfer planes but it saved us $400 so was worth it. It did cost us some time so if you are on a tight time schedule then not worth it.

I don't know where you're coming up with $800 airfares, unless it's from large NE cities to London.

Summer, 2015 fares are often north of $1,500 unless you're flying NorwegianAir or a very few budget air carriers. Even Winter airfares (through March 27th) have been at an all time high.

They say fuel prices are dropping, but airlines have booked their 2014 jet fuel on the commodities at last year's prices.
I would have loved to see 800, but kayak kept telling me the cheapest was north of $1,300.

Much of the country can use a budget air carrier to get to the five NorwegianAir gateway cities and still come out ahead.

I can get to Orlando for $97 each way on Southwest Airlines.

You just have to be open go into Oslo or Copenhagen or places in Scandinavia to get to your intended destination. There again, I've really been wanting to visit Stockholm and Helsinki.

Once in Europe, you can fly between great cities on European budget air carriers for around $100 each leg. It sure beats taking trains between cities.

Back
Top Bottom