Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1412820654.215426.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Having worked part-time for 7 years before I fully ERed nealry 6 years ago, there wasn't a big transition or "shock" to my system when I went from working 2 days a week in my final 17 months of working to working zero days a week. I already had built up a good set of activities and hobbies which changed little although some got expanded slightly with the added available days.

As a result, there were no real surprises when I no longer had to go to work any more. Most of the items posted here by others I did experience when I stopped working full-time back in 2001 and began working part-time. Those included less stress, more free time to do what I wanted, and not having to worry about money, to name a few.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One small surprise was the extent that I put myself and my loved one's interest first. No more sacrificing for the sake of the job, what's expected of me or what others think I should do.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Blood pressure down. Weight down 55 pounds from height. Still "bothered" by current landlord, but just waiting for spouse to decide to retire so we can leave.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
1. I am surprised at how much less I care about "getting away" or doing stuff to relieve stress. I am happy doing very little (puttering) as I do not feel the stress, so I don't feel any need for stress relievers. This includes travel, going out to eat, and -actually disappointing in a way-even reading. I thought I would be reading more. I still enjoy reading, but I did not experience any big increase in reading as I expected.

2. I am amazed at how easy it is for the day to pass. This is good and bad as I have not gotten around to many honey-do projects, yet. It does mean boredom is highly unlikely.

3. I have become very quickly, perhaps too accustomed to a slower pace, so much so that when there are time pressures, they stress me out more now than they used to. I have lost the callouses on that part of my brain.

4.(edited to add because I forgot!) I am shocked at how little I care to think or hear anything at all about my old profession. I change the channel if something medical is on TV...I seem to have less than zero interest in ever going back. I forgot this in my original post because not only do I not think about my old job, I do not even think about the fact that I do not think about it!

Not quite there yet but..was off for 2 weeks.

1. I felt lazy. But I de-cluttered spaces that had been neglected for years. And finished a project I tried to start in the spring. And still did the couch potato thing.

2. Started to walk and rebuild muscle--a little. Surprised at how much better I felt after just one walk or one workout.

3. Being able to gauge my true appetite, not the stress-related over indulgences. That just started this week in earnest. Every so often and sometimes too frequently, I would crave something salty, or sweet, or diet soda, or alcoholic as a "reward" after work, forgetting how that treat caused all kinds of reflux, weight gain, and such. Already, even the thought of most of those treats turns my stomach. The exception is something small and chocolate and not too rich.

4. Ditto above, with a twist. When I get the opportunity to investigate diagnoses that are unusual, in the few patients I now see, I do a much better job of searching literature and explaining to the parents what I'm thinking. I enjoy the process more because I'm not time stressed. But reading the generic stuff, no. And always hated all medical programs except St. Elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
And always hated all medical programs except St. Elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I have always been annoyed by all medical TV fiction...so ridiculously inaccurate and unrealistic. I was referring to medically related news stories or discussions.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin&hopin View Post
One month into ER, these are the three things that have most surprised me:

3. Time goes by much quicker than when I worked full time.

2. I now know I'll never be bored. I was never bored before, but I wondered if that might change. I've come to realize that it's very easy for me to stay mentally engaged, and being an introvert (like most of us here), I don't even have to ramp up my socializing to do so.

1. I've stopped worrying about having enough money. This has been a shocker, considering how much energy I expended on financial planning for retirement and how many calculator simulations I ran. My attitude: I've done all I can, so now it just has to play out. It helps that I've come to realize that I think I can live simply on even less than I originally estimated.

What about you? What's your top 3? And do you think I'll change my mind about any of the above as I get further into retirement?
I am also 1 month into retirement and I wish I sounded as calm and settled.

Maybe it's because I left my job abruptly in a ball of flames. My initial reaction was overwhelming relief. It was wonderful to be able to sleep and to not get daily headaches. That lasted a couple of weeks, now I take for granted the sleep and headache free days. It was followed by dreams that I had to hurry and find a new job. Now the biggest symptom is feeling antsy. I'm just not sure what to do with myself. Is it really a good idea to retire at 45? Will we really be ok financially even though we have been running the numbers for years? Have I made a mistake? Granted I am a worrier. That is an understatement. Also DH is still working and is not sure when he will join me in retirement, either by the end of the year or in February after collecting a bonus if he stays that long.

I am hoping that this is just the detox process and I just need to let it pass. It still beats working any day.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
It still beats working any day.
Just keep that thought and you will be fine

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Agree with all the posts. Retired for 6 months, don't miss work at all, really enjoying the time I am able to spend with DW.

Tried out for a part in a local theater group (Lazar Wolf in Fiddler on the Roof). Most fun I have had in years! L'Chaim!!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #30

Quote:
I have always been annoyed by all medical TV fiction...so ridiculously inaccurate and unrealistic.
I feel the same way about computer/software depictions on TV.

My favorite is when it just takes one click to enhance a very blurry image so that it becomes crystal clear. Right....
Old 10-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #31

Oh, I should have answered the OP too:

1. I've switched to "island time". I'm never in a hurry and I resent it when people expect me to get a lot done in a day.

2. I don't need afternoon naps anymore.

3. I've realized that a number of the projects I put off "until I have time" will never get done. <shrug>
Old 10-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
My favorite is when it just takes one click to enhance a very blurry image so that it becomes crystal clear. Right....
Yep, I did that all the time....

Or was asked to anyway.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Tried out for a part in a local theater group (Lazar Wolf in Fiddler on the Roof). Most fun I have had in years! L'Chaim!!
Retirement upside: You're now the right age to take on those character roles.

Retirement downside: Your character doesn't get the girl.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #34

Surprises?
It will be 25 years (two more weeks).
For DW and me....

-To have lived this long
-To still be quite healthy
-Except for a few blips... to have been totally happy all the way

Thankful for a wonderful life....
Old 10-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I have always been annoyed by all medical TV fiction...so ridiculously inaccurate and unrealistic. I was referring to medically related news stories or discussions.

I've actually found myself enjoying reading about medicine now that it's no longer "work". I've had a couple of encounters with the wrong side of the stethoscope, though, and those have been appalling. (Pro tip for boy-doctors: girl-doctors take the same classes in medical school, do not explain the x-ray.)

In no particular order:
1. Instead of being bored, I've found that I can't get everything done that I want to do because the day just flies by.
2. I feel guilty about not working, but I really resent the time I put into the volunteer gig. I thought I would like toddling off to a low demand job. I do not.
3. I assumed that I would continue to be perfectly healthy. This was a bad assumption and I'm glad that I didn't work until I had to take a disability retirement.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
2. I feel guilty about not working, but I really resent the time I put into the volunteer gig. I thought I would like toddling off to a low demand job. I do not.
I wonder if you'd mind elaborating a bit about this. I'm curious. What makes you feel guilty? Why did you resent the time you put into the volunteer job?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #37
gone traveling

I like what I hear except for "Time goes by much quicker than when I worked full time." but I think that indeed is the case and will be case for me as well.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
I like what I hear except for "Time goes by much quicker than when I worked full time." but I think that indeed is the case and will be case for me as well.
You know what? I think you'll enjoy how it feels. Before ER, I did everything I could to slow down time during my nonwork hours. With work out of the way, I don't yearn to do that anymore. The need for that stress counterbalance is gone.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FIRE'd since April 1, 2007

3. Now that I have reached the 7.5 year mark, I am surprised at myself being able to actually chill out and do nothing (well at least for 30 minutes ). A lifetime of high achievement (from age 14 to age 48) and always striving for the next level has now become a life of la-de-da and growing plants for enjoyment. My accomplishment markers have completely changed.

2. I am able to maintain my weight more easily without those daily lunches that served as an escape from the cubicle in the windowless building from h*ll. I get to see the days pass in full from sunrise to sunset, not just little time snippets on break or during lunch or the drive to/from w*rk. Sometimes I just sit and watch the rain fall.

1. I thought I would stick with volunteering more in my ER. I found that the "people in groups" part of the volunteer gigs reminded me too much of the nauseating office politics I departed from. So I do small things on a 1:1 basis, i.e. favors for individuals instead of being part of a group effort. This approach is more satisfying.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

3 biggest ER surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Oh, I should have answered the OP too:

1. I've switched to "island time". I'm never in a hurry and I resent it when people expect me to get a lot done in a day.

2. I don't need afternoon naps anymore.

3. I've realized that a number of the projects I put off "until I have time" will never get done.

LOL! I agree completely with you mpeirce! Isn't it just grand?