Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo125 View Post
Rick_Head, I love it!!!
+1
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
1)
Having retired, I sometimes feel sympathy with Wiley in the first part of this video, the second not so much.
Now that's funny!
Old 10-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

1. I don't miss the work aspect of work, at all.

2. Although an introvert, I do mildly miss the social aspect of work.

3. Expenses are lower than predicted.
Ozstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
+1: Best post I have read today. Thanks.
I am a huge Looney Tunes fan...that was hysterical. My face hurts from laughing. I played it twice just for good measure.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:36 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
1. I was surprised to find I was reluctant to admit to others that I am retired. At first I guess this was partly because there was a possibility I would return to work and I didn't want to appear foolish. Later it was because I did not want to brag or make others feel uncomfortable, especially friends or family of similar age who don't like their jobs (most of them). I am coming out of this lately and am beginning to feel more comfortable telling people I am retired.

2. I thought I would spend more money. I am actually struggling to spend as much now as I did when I was working. All of my financial models suggest I could spend more than I do, and I am making a concerted effort to splurge more on myself in 2015.

3. I thought I would volunteer more, do pro bono work, and generally seek out ways of replicating work in order to find "meaning" in my life. I have come to find that I simply enjoy taking each day as it comes and that "meaning" comes from doing what I feel like doing without living according to others' demands or expectations. If opportunities come up where I can help out others I take them. If at other times I just feel like hanging out at the gym or chilling at a coffee shop all afternoon so be it. ....
Frighteningly similar experience here. Almost 3 years in, I am almost comfortable conceding that I am retired but I am still careful to try not to seem like I'm bragging. We have done some splurging as we have become more comfortable spending rather than saving, but the market performance has increased our nestegg by 20% despite our modest withdrawals.

While I sometimes feel I should do more volunteering, I have been amazed how content I can be just puttering around and not doing much of anything. The free time has enabled me to help some friends and family with small projects which helps keeps me busy. I also take an occasional afternoon nap.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
3 biggest ER surprises
Old 03-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #66

3 biggest ER surprises

I FIREd 9 months ago and it is finally really feeling like a different phase. Even good change is challenging, so I searched past strings for others’ experiences to compare and found this excellent, affirming string started by Focus. I decided to bump it up and to pluck out some of the some of the observations I most resonate with.

*. Worrying less about money. We have a plan with a lot of built in contingencies so trust the numbers.

*. Getting along better with DW, mostly because all the irritants related to work are gone.

*. I enjoyed and am proud of my career but I have no interest in my former profession or work place.

*. The “Gap Year” desire has gone away. We still want to travel but we had a BIG PLAN, which I now admit was mostly a coping fantasy to get me through hard work periods.

*. I thought that leaving w*rk behind would be like a light switch flipping to instant bliss. It was not like that at all for me and has been more of a dimmer switch. From what I read, my adjustment will take at least 18 months.

* Work muscles were very strong at first and I had to force myself to let them atrophy. Old habits are hard to break so I have to tell myself that I already DID the earning, striving, selling, meetings and sitting in front of a screen. If black swan financial clouds emerge someday, I’d rather adapt spending at that time.

* I have MASSIVE LISTS accumulated over many years of places to visit, things to do for extra money or just life bucket lists. They feel far less urgent. The one I might delete is things for extra money, because I’m saving so much money in FIRE, unexpectedly.

*. We have adapted to our animals and their daily pace. How did we ever leave them everyday?

*. I have become allergic to calendar commitments and have forgotten some entirely. People talk about needing a volunteer gig or part time job but that would mean something on the calendar and being accountable. No thanks.

*. Expenses have unexpectedly fallen through the floor, thanks to no costs to work, lower taxes, and lower consumption generally. I expect some to increase modestly post-Covid.

*. I’m 55 and am having trouble saying “I’m retired”. I project on others that they cannot comprehend, are jealous, think I’m reckless or think I’m lazy. This is all my garbage and I need to practice saying the words and grow out of it.

*. I have gained 10-15 pounds. Call it Covid stress eating. I know how to cut carbs and probably will post vaccination.

*. Alcohol use is up, but that has a lot to do with having more time to develop and enjoy my passion for wine and how to pair it with food.

*. Often, when I’m out for a walk, I’m suddenly overcome by repressed gratitude and happiness. I am moved to swing my arms like a windmill to express that I’m done with the burdens of the past agreed phase and am embracing what the future holds!

It appears I have more than the 3 Reasons from the title. What is missing?? 🤠
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:50 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I FIREd 9 months ago and it is finally really feeling like a different phase. Even good change is challenging, so I searched past strings for others’ experiences to compare and found this excellent, affirming string started by Focus. I decided to bump it up and to pluck out some of the some of the observations I most resonate with.

Lovely post. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2021, 12:57 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I FIREd 9 months ago and it is finally really feeling like a different phase. Even good change is challenging, so I searched past strings for others’ experiences to compare and found this excellent, affirming string started by Focus. I decided to bump it up and to pluck out some of the some of the observations I most resonate with...
Wow. Never expected this old post to be bumped! Glad you found it affirming. Our experiences aligned almost exactly.

You might be interested in the sequel: Top 3 findings in 3 years
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #69

Thanks a lot, Focus. That other string makes me look forward to the 2+ year mark to really achieve detoxification. I think I will agree with your 3 year list at that time, too. Huzzah!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:51 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
One month into ER, these are the three things that have most surprised me:

3. Time goes by much quicker than when I worked full time.

2. I now know I'll never be bored. I was never bored before, but I wondered if that might change. I've come to realize that it's very easy for me to stay mentally engaged, and being an introvert (like most of us here), I don't even have to ramp up my socializing to do so.

1. I've stopped worrying about having enough money. This has been a shocker, considering how much energy I expended on financial planning for retirement and how many calculator simulations I ran.
3 - It's about the same for me.
2 - +1
1 - I was never really worried, just aware that what the stock market gives, it can also take away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

(1) How outrageously wonderful retirement is!

(2) Lessened desire to move away or go on road trips or day trips, probably because I no longer have a job, so there is nothing I want to get away from any more.
1 - +1, although I always hoped for that.
2 - Not in any way agree here. I love the freedom (time) and $ to travel.

My add is that I am surprised after all the years of LBYM and careful spending, I am now so much into Blow That Dough! The strong market helps.