Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

37% fewer moved to Florida in 2007 than 2006
Old 03-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

37% fewer moved to Florida in 2007 than 2006

I thought I would post this separately as so many of us have been mentioning relocating to Florida. This is from retirementliving.com:

Newsletter

37% is no small thing. Seems like a good time to get a deal. Maybe even better in 2009? 2010?
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
37% is no small thing. Seems like a good time to get a deal. Maybe even better in 2009? 2010?
You still need to be able to afford the insurance. It's brutal in Florida and getting more brutal.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought I would post this separately as so many of us have been mentioning relocating to Florida. This is from retirementliving.com:

Newsletter

an unintended result of your post...from within your newsletter site, i found a list of states and taxes levied at Retirement Living - Taxes by State: New York - Wyoming

and of course my eyeballs are rolling over the NY tax asessment (where I live). Hmmmmm...gotta find a worse state so i feel a little better.

thanks for the link!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
You still need to be able to afford the insurance. It's brutal in Florida and getting more brutal.
Not really. Ours went down $600 this year. Still expensive, but not getting "more brutal." Same with property taxes. There is no state income tax.

If someone wants to move to Florida, I would not let those aspects dissuade them. We estimate it costs us less to live here (taxes, insurance, etc.) than it did in Wisconsin, perhaps a bit more than it did in Tucson.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I am really surprised that more baby boomers aren't descending upon Florida in droves, hoping to snap up a bargain in the real estate slump there for retirement.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am really surprised that more baby boomers aren't descending upon Florida in droves, hoping to snap up a bargain in the real estate slump there for retirement.
Just because something sold for more at an earlier time does not MAKE it a bargain today. I would keep that in mind if you're going to be in the market in the next few years.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Shhhhhhh.
That's my plan next fall.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Isn't all of Florida supposed to be underwater in about 15 years due to global warming?

I would take that into consideration before buying property for retirement in Florida. Or south Texas, or Louisiana. Or maybe even Hawaii. Hawaii is going to lose about 80% of it's sandy beaches if global warming fears come to fruition.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #9

University of Florida News - UF research: Florida’s population growth slows but still remains high

Quote:
The estimates released this week show the Sunshine State’s population grew by 331,000 between 2006 and 2007, compared with 431,000 between 2005 and 2006; 402,000 between 2004 and 2005; and 448,000 between 2003 and 2004, Smith said..

Based on recent trends, Smith said he expects Florida to add about 300,000 residents a year during the next two to three years unless there is a recession...

Typically, Florida attracts about 8 percent or 9 percent of the nation’s immigrants in a year, he said...

What is considered a slow year for population growth in Florida would be considered a fast year for most states,” he said. “Between 1990 and 2000, no county in Florida lost population, which is unusual considering that typically 30 (percent) to 40 percent of the nation’s counties lose population during any particular decade.”

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #10

Freebird5825: Try Maine and Vermont: Taxes by State

Of course, this is for 2007. You could also search The Tax Federation for 2008 figures.
Look at it this way, NY has so many more biz opportunities than Maine and Vermont. That is worth something.

I think the prediction is something like 50 years "some" of Florida's coastline is to go bye-bye...but, hey! I'm still waiting for that huge earthquake to hit L.A. that was predicted when California was booming in the mid-'60's (the reason I didn't move there...she says shaking her head and feeling like a total fool). I think I have been hearing about Florida losing some ground since I was in elementary school...and I'm in my 60's now.
Now I'm waiting for the tsunami that is to hit Hawaii...sigh.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Freebird5825: Try Maine and Vermont: Taxes by State

Of course, this is for 2007. You could also search The Tax Federation for 2008 figures.
Look at it this way, NY has so many more biz opportunities than Maine and Vermont. That is worth something.

I think the prediction is something like 50 years "some" of Florida's coastline is to go bye-bye...but, hey! I'm still waiting for that huge earthquake to hit L.A. that was predicted when California was booming in the mid-'60's (the reason I didn't move there...she says shaking her head and feeling like a total fool). I think I have been hearing about Florida losing some ground since I was in elementary school...and I'm in my 60's now.
Now I'm waiting for the tsunami that is to hit Hawaii...sigh.
yes, thanks.

i started a new thread - Tax Rant I, which is still going strong last time i checked.

i forgot who (you!) posted the newsletter link, and then i couldn't find your post again. i'm still a relative greenhorn on navigating this site.

I was born in NY and I still plan to live in NY. just not forever.

I NY. it's a great vacation (from keeping your own money).
Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Florida seems to be getting way too crowded,every time i go to see Mom and Dad north of Tampa its like crazy traffic every where you go.If i didnt have this Canadian/ American border to deal with i'd probably be looking for a nice community in North Carolina.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

In our small neighborhood in Central Florida there are two new places sitting empty, both owned by retirees that can't sell their places up north. They are trapped.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowski View Post
In our small neighborhood in Central Florida there are two new places sitting empty, both owned by retirees that can't sell their places up north. They are trapped.
I'm also in central Florida, and I've had my house in Florida for 5 years now. When it came time to sell my house in NY I just kept lowering the price till it sold. No one is trapped, price sells houses. I sold mine in Dec. of 2006 in NY.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote