Join Early Retirement Today

4 Years In
Old 06-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

4 Years In

Today is the fourth anniversary of my retirement. It has gone by so quickly it stills feels like it was only yesterday.

A few observations on the past four years...

We're spending a little less than I thought I would and my investment accounts are doing better than I thought they would. Good combination although not something that I am expecting to last forever.

I enjoy taking an occasional consulting assignment (maybe 20 days a year) to help remind me what I left and to throw a few extra $$$'s into my mad money account. Having stepped away from the business I find myself looking at situations in new, refreshing ways. Clients seem to like that.

While I do have some slow days I have no problem keeping busy.

When we travel now I have a totally different mindset than when I traveled incessantly for business.

Stress....what stress!

And finally thanks to all on this site for their guidance and knowledge on such a diverse range of subjects.

Cheers!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!!!

I'm only 18 months along but experience is similar to you - spending similar to what I anticipated but investments doing much better than I anticipated (about 11% higher than I thought they would be at this point).

I can imagine that you can bring a different perspective (and candor) to the table that clients would appreciate.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, RockyMtn. I am about 4 1/2 years into my ER and your comments mostly echo mine. Without earning more than a few hundred dollars doing a few odd tasks since I stopped working, I can say that my investments have also rebounded nicely since late 2008 when I ERed, especially when they broke the $1M mark a few years ago (more than once, because they dropped below $1M a few times, too!).

No stress here any more, either.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, sounds like you're evolving as a retiree in good fashion. I'm only 2 years in, and my story is similar.

OTOH, I know I will be put to the test when inevitable market corrections take place. Never bothered me (slept like a baby every night) or affected my IPS when I was working (never resorted to DMT) - but it will be interesting to actually see how I actually react when our income is solely from our nest egg.

It's always good to read about other retiree experiences & observations, good or bad...thanks.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Congratulations!!!

I can imagine that you can bring a different perspective (and candor) to the table that clients would appreciate.
They do appreciate the candor. At times I have to kind of roll my eyes at all the BS that still goes on....then I think this is only for a day or two.

Inevitably someone tells me how envious of my position they are and I kind of smile, chuckle to myself and remind myself of how lucky I am.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #6

Eight years in as of today and find myself living more in the moment and enjoying a more relaxed pace of life. Also turned 62 this past month and looking forward to my first SS direct deposit. No financial worries and just loving the time I spend with the grandkids, golfing, riding, exercising. In other words, just living the good life.

My 32 years with megacorp, saving and living within our means were worth the effort.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Six years in for me and about to go play golf. No stress here either.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to all of you for sharing. I'm a total newbie, and learning from all of you makes the transition much easier. So far expenses are tracking as projected.

The greatest thing (so far) was my DR. Appointment today, he was very optimistic about me dropping 6 lbs. in 3 months, told him that was short of my goal, but I'm now able to focus more on exercise do to ER.

He looked at me very strangely, asking me "how old are you again"? When I said you know I'm 56, he just shook his head and walked off.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
gone traveling

It's just 16 months for me. Expenses are running a little less than I thought and my conservative investments are doing better than expected. I practice living within my means (not LBYM). I haven't cut back on anything since retiring except loss of sleep and stress. Matter of fact I just got back from a 10 day road trip to Vegas and a few spots in-between. I knew I was "really retired for good" when I was offered a consulting job recently and turned it down. Between my hobbies, traveling and maintaining my place in the country (which I like to do) I'm staying busy and really enjoying retirement.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Not yet retired and I absolutely love reading the successful ER updates. Nice tangible examples to keep me staying the course. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

It is nice to read all the posts from happy ER. I am looking forward to the day dh ER.
G123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

After 6 months I am happy with RE and am developing new interests and friendships. I had wondered if I would envy former colleagues' ongoing achievements, but that has not been an issue. When I interact with them I am reminded of just how hard I worked for many years, the unpleasant and unhealthy aspects of work, and am struck by how much I really do not want to go back. I had been quite an ambitious person career wise. I always worked hard and tried to do a good job, and I was passionate about certain aspects of it, but I always saw my career as a means to FI rather than my identity. That makes it easier to let go.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
After 6 months I am happy with RE and am developing new interests and friendships. I had wondered if I would envy former colleagues' ongoing achievements, but that has not been an issue. When I interact with them I am reminded of just how hard I worked for many years, the unpleasant and unhealthy aspects of work, and am struck by how much I really do not want to go back. I had been quite an ambitious person career wise. I always worked hard and tried to do a good job, and I was passionate about certain aspects of it, but I always saw my career as a means to FI rather than my identity. That makes it easier to let go.
+1. Never let your identity be dependent on something that can be as fleeting as a job or job title.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Not yet retired and I absolutely love reading the successful ER updates. Nice tangible examples to keep me staying the course. Thanks!
+1! Thanks to all who posted.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote