Join Early Retirement Today

40% Retired
Old 05-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

40% Retired

Effective yesterday, I am at 60% status for the next several months as my organization phases out my programs and completes its strategic planning process. This means no w*rk on Tuesdays and Fridays. So today I got up and walked 18 holes of golf, home at 10:15, lunch with DW, off to a music class I'm taking and now I think that I will spend the evening on the patio with a glass of wine. The hard thing is not checking the w*rk email, but I have warned the office that I will NOT be checking. I don't want them to be able to suck me back into a w*rk frame of mind when I am not at w*rk.

100% retirement should occur by September 30.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well done! Congratulations!!

Too bad you couldn't have made it Mondays and Fridays so every weekend would be a 4-day weekend but you'll be 100% before you know it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #3

I negotiated Tuesdays and Fridays for now for 2 reasons: 1) There is a musical group that meets on Tuesday afternoons that I would like to join and 2) I have been working remotely with a client on Tuesdays for the last several months so the office is accustomed to me being out of the office those days.

Oh, also, DW teleworks on Fridays and Mondays. I have found that I am sometimes a bit underfoot when she is on a conference call. Apparently she doesn't want my harpsichord playing to be the background music for her calls. We think that separating out our at home days will make the transition a little easier

And also, DW says that people seem to interpret "Fridays and Mondays" more generously than "Mondays and Fridays". She claims that they hear it as occurring in 2 different weeks.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like a nice schedule. I hope it works out for you. I go into the office one day a week now, and I work about an hour or two a day from home the rest of the week, so I would say I'm about 70% retired at this point. I like having something to do one day a week to keep my brain challenged. The rest of the week is play time. The combination seems to work very nicely. I hope you find the same.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! Just make sure they don't expect you to do 5 days of work in 3 days. But it sounds like you are setting boundaries to prevent that from happening.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Congratulations! Just make sure they don't expect you to do 5 days of work in 3 days. But it sounds like you are setting boundaries to prevent that from happening.

Don't tell anybody, but I wasn't doing 5 days of work in 5 days.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps, but if they didn't notice then it doesn't count

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote