40 Strongest US Metro Economies: Businessweek

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Actually San Antonio is 1, Austin is 2, D-FW-Arlington is 5, Houston area is 9. SInce we live in Texas, guess we will stick around.

See how shocked am I about that? Can't even get it straight yet....still in shock. But thanks for pointing our my error, Katsmeow.

Thanks OrchidFlower, this looks like a more interesting list considering there are five cities in Texas in the first ten and no California metro areas at all. Makes sense considering California house/condo prices are so high. Looks like a lot of smaller metro areas made the list, like my old stomping grounds, Madison, WI where I remember the job market being very tight/competitive. #16 Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA: best photo!

I think Texas fares well since scorpions and chiggers aren't factored in, and because the economy is more stable due to relatively stable housing markets and a lack of state income tax.

My metro area fared well on that list. Not surprising, since it is hard to tell there is a recession. Although unemployment remains high, and I know a number of people unemployed, the article points out our Gross Regional Product is down just 0.9% since its peak last year.

I think Texas fares well since scorpions and chiggers aren't factored in, and because the economy is more stable due to relatively stable housing markets and a lack of state income tax.
;) Calif. is a no-show even without figuring in fog, heat, bears, snakes, coyotes in the back yard, sea lions driving the boats off the docks, and sharks, to name a few.

No. 29 Kansas City! My lips are sealed about Tonganoxie. Send em to Olathe or Shawnee Mission.

heh heh heh - :greetings10: Man I still love the suburbs.

Pittsburgh is #16 of 42. I can believe it. It is a really nice place to live(I live out of Allegheny County but definitely commuting distance). Excellent health care and education and very livable on a moderate income. Many cultural offerings to be had and, of course, lots of excitement with the professional sports teams. Go Steelers!

Texas and Louisiana are doing well due to "all"...well, that's the way many pronounce it down there (for the word oil). But that is a boom and bust business, and those are boom and bust States. Their time will come to go down again in the future. It may take 20 years, but it will happen eventually most likely.
I did alot of work on Pittsburgh. You aren't kidding that it's a great place for geezers to live. Pennsylvania just wants too much for tax, tho....otherwise, it's the bee's knees.

Faux pas on my part, REWahoo. I am forgetting the mispronunciation of words that the natives down there use.:rolleyes:

Earl as in Uncle Earl - 9th ward.

heh heh heh - :cool: Yeah you rite!

DC-VA-MD #13. Nice place to live if you don't mind insane traffic. I've heard the DC area referred to as "Hollywood for ugly people":uglystupid:

Looks to me like the places that are strongest were pretty much left out of the big growth of the last few years. Especially the housing boom. If it don't go boom, it don't go bust. Sort of like being the skinny guy standing at the edge of the playground while all the big guys beat the crap out of each other. He's the strongest at the end. Last man standing theory. DC area is disqualified because they print the money and spend a lot of it close to home on lobbyists.

I was surprised to see Honolulu at #19.

I guess the lack of winter weather cuts down on the economically stimulating opportunities for snow plows, snow shovels, de-icing, and vehicle repairs...

Texas and Louisiana are doing well due to "all"...well, that's the way many pronounce it down there (for the word oil). But that is a boom and bust business, and those are boom and bust States. Their time will come to go down again in the future. It may take 20 years, but it will happen eventually most likely.
I agree, not sure why people even bother with these mindless lists. Two years ago I am sure there were lists showing that the smart money in real estate was mostly California/West Coast and the Northeast. Those lists were indeed correct at the time, pretty much worthless today...

I just think they're a hoot most times. Few seem to be really thought out well from what I can see so far.:rolleyes: You can find too many glaring errors in too many of these so-called lists.

Back
Top Bottom