Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #21
School reunions are not a big thing in England, but a few of the ladies organized one 3 years back. It was actually timed to be 40 years after we all started as it was a brand new school when we all started there at age 11. So I guess in USA terms it was a 33 year re-union with all the participants having an age of about 51. A lot turned up from all over England plus Holland, Germany, Austria and myself from the USA.

I had an absolutely fantastic time. I did enjoy my High School days - which has to help - and I've now re-connected with some of the folks and we visit occasionally when we are over on vacation.

Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
As I remember I was deliriously happy to get out of high school and forgot about the place so soon as I graduated.
Now University...I feel totally opposite. I loved that experience.
I felt the same way and enjoyed college a lot. HS was way too clickish and I lettered in a sport early on (not football so no babes) but still felt left out. From what I've seen as a parent things haven't changed all that much. Many teens still connect on an extremely superficial level -- "hey Dude". No wonder they feel isolated. And a lot of us adults haven't graduated to the next level either.

Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #23
I attended the high school from which I graduated for just my senior year (my first three years were in another state), so I knew the members of my graduating class for all of nine months or so. I joined the Navy immediately after graduation, moved away and have not seen any of them since. I've never been to a reunion and probably never will.
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to the 10 year HS reunion. Didn't go to 20 or 30. There was no 40.
Haven't been back to college.
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #25
The dinner/dance was a pretty good time. Decent food, and I ended up with an interesting enough group at the dinner table. I saw 5 people that I actually recognized. Most everybody looked about as old as I do. The exception was Deni Sue. She was gorgeous in high school and looks maybe 40 and terrific still. She's a Pilates instructor which no doubt helps a bunch. Music was provided by a band of classmates -- they played together 40 years ago too -- and wasn't half bad.

The cliques seemed to survive seamlessly over the decades. I had a nice visit with a couple of my fellow AV nerds.

The list of 20 or so classmates who won't ever make it to another reunion was pretty depressing. That's about 5% of the class -- and who knows how many of the lost classmates are dead too.

All in all, I have to admit I had a fairly good time. I might make the 50th after all.

Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #26
Hi Coach, glad you had a good time of it. Check in with us on the 50th !
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #27
Three elementary (K-8) schools feed my alma mater. This means that even though we did not sit in classes together for the first nine years, we attended CCD, played little league, learned to swim at community pool, danced at 6-8 grade dances, etc, many of the 42 of my classmates have known me all my life. Living across the country keeps me out of the planning loop (whew) but I always look forward to the reunions. Will have a mini one with the folks who live around Sacramento when I get home for Thanksgiving this year - wish we had Facebook before our 20 year - found lots of folks afterwards!
Make no mistake, my friend, it takes more than money to make men rich. - A. P. Gouthey
Fireup2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
45th coming up in March of 2010. I have never been to one. I am planning on going this time. Not really sure why but I will go. I never liked school.
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #29
I must admit that I donīt remember any of my schoolmates and few of my University ones. Must be on account of not having had a particular good time... Or maybe because I never was the gregarious sort...
Anyway, it embarrasses me to talk about those years.
I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I had a very good time at my gal's reunion last year - much better than at the few reunions for my high school or even for college. Think it was because she was in the same small grade school and high school with most of her classmates since she was in 5th grade. She's also very gregarious and well liked, so I was the recipient of a fair amount of good feeling overflow. For their 40th they had a weekend in a Palm Springs hotel - the 30th was an even better venue - a 3 day Carnival cruise. 40th was more fun though - by that time people had made it or not and were pretty comfortable with themselves. It is to be noted that the crowd at the reunion was probably not a perfect cross-section - it took a certain amount of financial success - or bravado with plastic - to attend.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets
My 45th reunion is in June 2010, and I plan to attend. Having retired one year ago and returned to my "home" state, I now live in the same state at least. I went to the 10th, 30th, and 40th and mostly enjoyed myself. What struck me most at the last one was how much older (worse?) the men looked than the women, not something I really anticipated.
playaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #32
Did not go to High school. Got a GED while in the Army, one day of test taking. Still amazed that I got qualifying results, my English was still pretty bad. Was part time student in my late thirties while working full time took 5 yrs to get BS.

Got an invite once for the graduating year's class reunion, did not go, likely would not have known anyone there.
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets
I just attended my 45th HS reunion in New Orleans. It's nice to reconnect with old friends from hs and swap lies. I would say about half of those attending now live outside of the NO area.
We have a cocktail party on Fri. night followed by a picnic on Sat.

Question - Do I really look as old as some of these people?
Answer - Probably
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #34
gone traveling
Originally Posted by mews View Post
I didn't enjoy high school, can't remember anyone, and can't see spending time with people I don't know and don't care about.

I would have to agree. I just received my 45th year invite (class of '65) and I threw it in the trash, as I have done with all the others I received over the years.

HS was a bad time for me (family wise), and a period of time I would rather forget.

But hey - for those of you that it truly was the "best of times", great.

My "best of times" is today ....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
high school reunion
Old 10-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.
high school reunion

I just had my 45th this last weekend! I went to the dinner/dance Sat. night. I went to school with some from the 6th grade to hs graduation.

I had a great time. I did find that the "click" people were pretty boring; after hs graduation, I moved to California as soon as I could, so have had a very "interesting" life. California in the 60's was the happening place. I did connect with a girlfriend with whom I giggled LOTS in junior high. It was great to re-connect with her, as we found that we still had the capacity for sheer silliness.

This was my first re-union; it took 45 years to let go of the "less than" or desire to brag adolescent feelings.

I am looking forward to the 50th!
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
My "best of times" is today ....
Every year qualifies for me. (Although, those during my 40's were not as much fun at the time.) I have enjoyed every minute.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote