Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

5 reasons not to retire abroad
Old 07-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

5 reasons not to retire abroad

Hereís an interesting story in MarketWatch about retiring abroad. My mother retired to Chapala, Jalisco Mexico, and then later moved to Matzalan.

There is quite a bit of difference between here and a foreign country, especially a third world one. I visited her often, and things you take for granted here, and not available there.

Clean water, banking system integrity, safe streets in terms of no holes to fall into when you are walking, no dead horses lying on the paved road for over a week, no dead dogs on the sidewalk, etc.

Simple things that you take for granted here, are not the law in other countries. My mother lost about $10K due to a Mexico bank employee stealing her blank checks before they were delivered to her. They were cashed before she ever took control of them.

Not to mention safe electricity. You will not get electrocuted as easily here.

And when she needed aneurism surgery, she came to the USA and went to the Mayo clinic. If something goes wrong in the hospital, you have people here that can help you.

There is lots of corruption. My Motherís Visa (green card) card had someone elseís fingerprints on them, as she did not want to take the long drive to the Mexican immigration office. She never did know whose prints they were.

5 reasons not to retire abroad - MarketWatch

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Hereís an interesting story in MarketWatch about retiring abroad. My mother retired to Chapala, Jalisco Mexico, and then later moved to Matzalan.

There is quite a bit of difference between here and a foreign country, especially a third world one. I visited her often, and things you take for granted here, and not available there.

Clean water, banking system integrity, safe streets in terms of no holes to fall into when you are walking, no dead horses lying on the paved road for over a week, no dead dogs on the sidewalk, etc.

Simple things that you take for granted here, are not the law in other countries. My mother lost about $10K due to a Mexico bank employee stealing her blank checks before they were delivered to her. They were cashed before she ever took control of them.

And when she needed aneurism surgery, she came to the USA and went to the Mayo clinic. If something goes wrong in the hospital, you have people here that can help you.

There is lots of corruption. My Motherís Visa (green card) card had someone elseís fingerprints on them, as she did not want to take the long drive to the Mexican immigration office. She never did know whose prints they were.

5 reasons not to retire abroad - MarketWatch
Start the clock.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

As I'm currently traveling in Canada, I'm visiting British Columbia for ther 4th time I'm my life. I could so live here. Canada is relatively safe. However, I would need to either: w**k, or invest $1.6M interest free in Canada for 5 years. So, no way.

And no other country appeals to me at all.

I agree with the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I lived overseas from 1970 until last October. I've viewed my own country from afar, and see it from a perspective that many Americans do not. I get so annoyed when people make flip comments like the US is the best country in the world, or that Americans are an exceptional people. It's spoken by those that just haven't traveled or objectively looked at the decay in their own country.

I love America, and proud to be an American, but I have a list of so many issues that just don't exist in the other 12 countries I've lived and worked in. If you like me to list them, I certainly can.

I'm 67 and retired in the US very recently, but perhaps will spend part of the year overseas so I do not need to complain like this.

Rob
Old 07-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
I lived overseas from 1970 until last October. I've viewed my own country from afar, and see it from a perspective that many Americans do not. I get so annoyed when people make flip comments like the US is the best country in the world, or that Americans are an exceptional people. It's spoken by those that just haven't traveled or objectively looked at the decay in their own country.
I lived in Europe for a mere two years almost 25 years ago and came to the same conclusion. In my case though it more or less just confirmed what I had highly suspected for years
Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I love America, and proud to be an American, but I have a list of so many issues that just don't exist in the other 12 countries I've lived and worked in. If you like me to list them, I certainly can.
Please do list! I lived only short time in Latin America, with an American company job. I loved it- but even with their relatively accessible language, I figured it would take at least a lifetime to really know what the H was going on.

How well do most of us understand US street talk? If you are like me, you get surprises every day. So just ask yourself how well will you ever understand Thai street talk?

Took me a very long time to figure out the circumlocutions of the typical
Scandinavian -American male. One thing I figured out and appreciated - I was unlikely to get sucker- punched. Not true everywhere, whether US or foreign!

I think there have only been a very few environments other than my birthplace where I just automatically understand and also more or less feel OK with the subtexts floating around.

Ha
Old 07-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sigh...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sorry, but I live in a foreign country. Is the above video available anywhere with subtitles?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Why is this topic off limits?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #10

The mods probably don't consider the topic itself off limits - the thread is still here, right?

What's off limits is where this conversation is almost certainly headed - a pissing match about what's wrong/right with the US/Mexico/Canada/etc.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Retiring overseas requires an adventurous spirit and an open mind. Without either of those you will be in trouble. There is nothing worse than a whining expat, especially if they are taxed without representation!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The mods probably don't consider the topic itself off limits - the thread is still here, right?

What's off limits is where this conversation is almost certainly headed - a pissing match about what's wrong/right with the US/Mexico/Canada/etc.
Well, this thread may still be here but your hog calling video sets a tone.

There are important things about retirement that go beyond SWR and pet threads. So, what is to be feared if some people have strong feelings?

I think my post was good. I believe that if there are cultural problems with retirement, this is where they likely are to be found.

What is the role of this site?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

It's a good topic. I've (briefly) thought about it, but the one thing that keeps me from doing any serious consideration is family. I have an extended family here in Texas, and we do get together relatively often - birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving to name a few. I really can't imagine not being available, even if it's just the quick Sunday evening dinner together.

On the whole language thing - reminds me of the old Steve Martin bit: when traveling to France, he says "Ouf means egg. Chapo means hat. It's like these guys have a different word for EVERYTHING. I went over there thinking, no problem, English is a universal language, but I wasn't aware that I was going to a country that didn't have the COURTESY to speak English!" Lol. Of course they speak a different language! I'd embrace that in a second.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

You aren't allowed to discuss moderation. That's how I got kicked off a sister site.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

On the flip side a record number of Americans are giving up their citizenship -
Record number of Americans give up citizenship

I have read long term care costs in the U.S can be $80K a year per person and in the UK it is closer to $40K, so right there is a single huge reason. $80K a year less for a couple both needing LTC is for an extended period is a significant savings, even with living in a developed country. Politics and social programs aside, it just seems like there is simply less chance of going bankrupt due to uncovered medical / out of network or LTC costs in most other developed countries.

There are 196 countries in the world. I think it would be hard to say the U.S is the best overall in everything if you have not traveled to at least a sampling of them or have a lot of contact with friends / relatives / coworkers / employees from other cultures.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #16

Quote:

I guess it's possible that the conversation could go there. Now that the idea is out of the bag, maybe it is more likely to go there? Just speculating.

As for the marketwatch article, I find the points made are genuine, and worth evaluating before moving to another country.

From the threads which have discussed this expat idea on E-R, I've gleaned that there is no right answer that fits everyone. Most of us are relatively happy with our status quo, but dreaming about how things could be better is something to enjoy from time to time.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I visited her often, and things you take for granted here, and not available there.
Simple things that you take for granted here, are not the law in other countries.
...you have people here that can help you.
Emphasis on "here" mine.

Please try to remember that what is "here" for you is not the same "here" for many others on this board. I imagine that it must get annoying for non-Americans to have some folks on this and other forums assume that everyone else on the forum is American.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
Emphasis on "here" mine.

Please try to remember that what is "here" for you is not the same "here" for many others on this board. I imagine that it must get annoying for non-Americans to have some folks on this and other forums assume that everyone else on the forum is American.
+100
Old 07-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You aren't allowed to discuss moderation. That's how I got kicked off a sister site.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
It's not you, its them. This forum has great moderation in comparison.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well, this thread may still be here but your hog calling video sets a tone.
Yes, that was my intent. This is an interesting subject worthy of discussion but a potential patriotic/ideological minefield. Hopefully posters will be a bit more circumspect in their responses knowing the thread subject probably has it on the mod watch list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What is the role of this site?
You've been here 10+ years and have more than 20,000 posts. I would have thought you'd have it figured out by now.

Closed Thread