Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2015, 05:26 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It took me a little while. Not an acronym used around here much, although many ERs would qualify.
It is mostly used in banking (wealth management services) and management consulting for said banks. Usually to qualify them for more "premium" services.

Since most of us here are avoiding those two like the plague ..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Condolences on taking 5 years to get there, but now that you are, enjoy!

Me? One year anniversary on April 1. In retrospect, I believe I should have retired earlier.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN317 View Post
It has been 5 years since I retired and I thought I would share my experience with others on this forum. As I look back and assess the many events and evolutions of the past 5 years I can identify several of the more profound effects . I will qualify the following remarks by stating that I am a HNWI with several multiples of the resources necessary to live comfortably. I will further qualify the remarks by stating that I have no interest in golf, country clubs, and lavish vacations - maybe that is why I am a HNWI?. During the first year of retirement I vacillated between euphoria(Free at Last!) and sheer terror (You fool! What have you done!). As I entered the second year of retirement I mellowed into anxious anticipation as I contemplated the many opportunities that had become available to me now that I had an abundance of free time. Curiously, as I explored these new opportunities I found that I was doing the things that the many experts/pundits said a retiree was supposed to do (travel, hobbies, volunteer, etc.) but those things were not providing much, if any, pleasure for me. The things that I was supposed to do were not the things I actually wanted to do. I found that what I wanted to do was to take my time and catch up on some home improvement projects, meet friends for lunch, work in the garden, etc. I found that happiness in retirement is an evolutionary thing, and for me it took about 4 or 5 years to get to my happy place. This next statement will probably be considered blasphemy for this forum, but I also found that I liked having a j*b !!!! Not a j*b like the one I used to have at megacorp, but 4 or 5 days a month, a j*b where I show up, punch in, do my thing and go home. No responsibilities, no stress, no corporate BS. So – that is where I am now – very content, enjoying being retired, and learning to understand myself….. and the longer I am retired the better it gets.
Thanks for the perspective. Being just 3 months into FIRE I'm at the very first part of the evolution you talked about. I feel like I'm groping around trying different things. Indeed, as you said, there is euphoria and elation, and a question of "NOW WHAT?"
Old 03-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigori View Post
Thanks for the perspective. Being just 3 months into FIRE I'm at the very first part of the evolution you talked about. I feel like I'm groping around trying different things. Indeed, as you said, there is euphoria and elation, and a question of "NOW WHAT?"
That's exactly how it should be. Getting away from a j*b is like getting out of a bad relationship. What you left behind was not particularly desirable, but it was familiar. Then you start dating again, and find some things that you like, and some that you don't in each relationship, learning all along the way what makes you tick. Then when the right relationship comes along, you know it's right, and you run with it.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
That's exactly how it should be. Getting away from a j*b is like getting out of a bad relationship. What you left behind was not particularly desirable, but it was familiar. Then you start dating again, and find some things that you like, and some that you don't in each relationship, learning all along the way what makes you tick. Then when the right relationship comes along, you know it's right, and you run with it.
+1

An excellent analogy and an accurate description of the “evolution” process I went through. As always, YMMV, and I often felt envious of others that had better prepared for retirement.

Perhaps a new subject for discussion:
When I submitted my letter of intent to retire at megacorp they said “OK, now you need to go to retirement school”. It wasn't a mandatory requirement but it was strongly encouraged. It was a three day class, on company time, and covered a lot of stuff about pensions, retiree health care, and “The Psychology of Retirement”. Has anyone else been offered a class like this?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #26

My pension fund has something similar. Its called PREP.
Pre Retirement Education Program. They encourage people to go to the class well in advance of retirement because they cover all kinds of estate planning, IRA investing and a lot of other financial topics. Its mostly a beginner class though. I cant say I learned much.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN317 View Post
Perhaps a new subject for discussion:
When I submitted my letter of intent to retire at megacorp they said “OK, now you need to go to retirement school”. It wasn't a mandatory requirement but it was strongly encouraged. It was a three day class, on company time, and covered a lot of stuff about pensions, retiree health care, and “The Psychology of Retirement”. Has anyone else been offered a class like this?
Once. Vanguard came in one year to give a very good workshop on financially preparing for retirement. Otherwise, I always got the impression that the company thought of retirement like heaven -- it's everyone's ultimate destination, if you play your cards right, but best to focus on the living.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Coincidentally, while I was at the grocery store this afternoon, I had the following thought: Do the other customers think I'm unemployed, or independently wealthy?
I worked rotating shifts for 18 years so I also spent a lot of time outside on weekdays. I remember being a bit surprised at how many people of "working age" were out there too and wondered if they all worked shifts like I did.

In all likelihood they didn't notice you at all. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigori View Post
Indeed, as you said, there is euphoria and elation, and a question of "NOW WHAT?"
That's pretty normal and a phase that many people go through - I did. It finally dawned on me that I can do anything I want as long as it isn't illegal, immoral, fattening, or frowned on by DW, and nobody cares.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Coincidentally, while I was at the grocery store this afternoon, I had the following thought: Do the other customers think I'm unemployed, or independently wealthy?
Once they see the Grey Poupon in the cart they know you are independently wealthy. I usually hide mine under a bag of rice.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Well, if they give you any thought at all it might be: "That guy is wearing the ugliest shirt I've seen in a long time".