55 in less than a week....

Turn_the_Page

Recycles dryer sheets
Here's the scenario. We're in the midwest, but really want to move back to Texas. Had my plans lined up to walk in April 1 and give notice. Buy a place in TX Hill Country, sell the house we're in now. Money isn't an issue, investments in good shape. We'll be fine.

Now - there's a job on TX Gulf Coast. Would be a transfer with good relocation benefits to a job I can do with one eye closed. Similar pay rate. Given that homes don't sell here typically in less than 6 months, this has some appeal as the relo has a 90 day buyout clause. Must work at least a year after the relo or you're on the hook for the relo cost.

Boss knows I want to move and my age. So he's hopefully smart enough to realize that he better help grease the wheels for the TX job to keep me around awhile and available for interviewing, training and for phone and e-mail assistance. If I ER, I won't be too interested or available for dealing with all the stuff that no one else seems to be able to handle in my absence(s).

So, my ER this year may be delayed a year or two. We'll see, I'll be happy either way, so it's not a bad position to be in. Would be nice to rack up the $$ for a yaer or two more. I know, I know - it's the old "one more year" syndrome.

Understood and I certainly feel that way SOMETIMES. Then I think about a nice relo package and being able to more easily do my retirement research from TX instead of the upper midwest.

Decisions, decisions! Believe me, being in a slow real estate market myself, I can understand why this option might be appealing.

On the other hand, if they buy your house, I would expect that the amount paid would be quite a bit less than you could get if you sold it yourself. Do you have any information about how much they might pay you?

Maybe you could just put it on the market for considerably less than it is worth, and sell it a little faster that way without having to work a year longer?

On the other hand, if they buy your house, I would expect that the amount paid would be quite a bit less than you could get if you sold it yourself. Do you have any information about how much they might pay you?

That sounds like a great opportunity to negotiate and find out how much they really want you. If they make you a great offer, then taking the job also solves the problem of finding a buyer to make a good offer on your home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom