Join Early Retirement Today

55 in less than a week....
Old 03-01-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

55 in less than a week....

Here's the scenario. We're in the midwest, but really want to move back to Texas. Had my plans lined up to walk in April 1 and give notice. Buy a place in TX Hill Country, sell the house we're in now. Money isn't an issue, investments in good shape. We'll be fine.

Now - there's a job on TX Gulf Coast. Would be a transfer with good relocation benefits to a job I can do with one eye closed. Similar pay rate. Given that homes don't sell here typically in less than 6 months, this has some appeal as the relo has a 90 day buyout clause. Must work at least a year after the relo or you're on the hook for the relo cost.

Boss knows I want to move and my age. So he's hopefully smart enough to realize that he better help grease the wheels for the TX job to keep me around awhile and available for interviewing, training and for phone and e-mail assistance. If I ER, I won't be too interested or available for dealing with all the stuff that no one else seems to be able to handle in my absence(s).

So, my ER this year may be delayed a year or two. We'll see, I'll be happy either way, so it's not a bad position to be in. Would be nice to rack up the $$ for a yaer or two more. I know, I know - it's the old "one more year" syndrome.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn_the_Page View Post
Money isn't an issue, investments in good shape. We'll be fine.
Based on this, I don't understand the OMY issue. Even a job you can do with one eye closed is a far cry from being retired, so why waste another year of your life working when you don't need to?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Understood and I certainly feel that way SOMETIMES. Then I think about a nice relo package and being able to more easily do my retirement research from TX instead of the upper midwest.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Administrator

Decisions, decisions! Believe me, being in a slow real estate market myself, I can understand why this option might be appealing.

On the other hand, if they buy your house, I would expect that the amount paid would be quite a bit less than you could get if you sold it yourself. Do you have any information about how much they might pay you?

Maybe you could just put it on the market for considerably less than it is worth, and sell it a little faster that way without having to work a year longer?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
On the other hand, if they buy your house, I would expect that the amount paid would be quite a bit less than you could get if you sold it yourself. Do you have any information about how much they might pay you?
That sounds like a great opportunity to negotiate and find out how much they really want you. If they make you a great offer, then taking the job also solves the problem of finding a buyer to make a good offer on your home.