Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #21

I was in Stage 2 for 3 days (went to the beach for the first 3 w*rkdays after ER) and skipped right to Stage 5 (back for a volunteer board committee meeting). Does that make me an overachiever?
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I am still in Stage 2 now. I recently entered my fifth year of retirement, and I am loving it!

Each day it just seems like such a mind-blowing miracle that I can do what I want, and that I don't have to go to school or work or answer to anybody at all. I am FREE.

I do have a retirement routine, as in step 5, but establishing that didn't pull me out of the honeymoon phase. I like having a routine! It's MY routine, and if I ever discover that it doesn't please me I can change it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

better to have termination in retirement, than at work! I watch the "dead list" on the company web site, and not all the names have "retired" after them....

"6. Termination of retirement, old age"

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #24

I'm still waiting for disenchantment. When does that start?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stage One here. I am still working and plan to retire July 7 (after they pay me for the Independence Day holiday). Just today I was quietly cleaning out drawers and such in my cubicle and thinking about who I want to get some of my knick-knacks ...vases, decorations, plants, maps and personally-owned reference materials, small pieces of furniture that I am averse to hauling home. If I start distributing them too early, I will alarm people....Well, either that, or they will hate me for being a short-timer.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I refuse to have my retirement staged. It is for real!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #27

Interesting outlook, but seems rather simplistic. I can imagine the oldest kid being 1st retiree from a big family of workaholics could miss Stage 2 entirely & launch directly into a guilt-trip fueled prolonged Stage 3. OTOH- The youngest kid could quickly be having much happier times in Stages 2 & 5 being surrounded by well-adjusted retiree siblings. I'll be most ER's are somewhere in the middle.

In my case- +1 to Is99. Less than 3mo since I left FT w#rk & cannot see myself fitting into any single Stage. Only thing I can say is I'm NOT in Stage 6
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
Administrator

About to enter year 5 of stage 2
Old 11-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Since I count on my hands, rather than my fingers, I figure I'm destined to be perpetually at stage 2.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

skipped 3 and 4
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #31

I don't plan to "permanently exit the workforce," so I guess I'm in the denial stage.

I think if you do a good, introspective job of retirement planning, you will minimize the "disappointment or uncertainty" he describes in the Disenchantment phase. I do think that's a reality for a lot of people and an underlying reason a lot of people avoid retiring (fear of that).
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am still in Stage 2 now. I recently entered my fifth year of retirement, and I am loving it! Each day it just seems like such a mind-blowing miracle that I can do what I want, and that I don't have to go to school or work or answer to anybody at all. I am FREE. I do have a retirement routine, as in step 5, but establishing that didn't pull me out of the honeymoon phase. I like having a routine! It's MY routine, and if I ever discover that it doesn't please me I can change it.
+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Combination of stage 2 and stage 5. Planning to skip 3 & 4, hoping to skip 6. Party 'til I drop!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Stage 1 now, entering stage 2 January 3, 2014.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Definitely a unique experience based on individual personality and traits. Many leaders struggle with lose of identity of being in the mix so to speak. I was in charge of over 100 people. I do not miss being a leader, being in charge, or being in the mix of things. I have become virtually invisible and thoroughly enjoy it.
I have been managing about 50 people for some time. Outside of work, I sometimes catch myself acting like a leader that nobody asked me to .

I have been in stage 1 for a short period and still have a lot of things to work out, including learning how to avoid stage 3.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

OMG, tell us which community you retire to so I can avoid it - can't stand those retired guys and gals who tell everybody else what to do and how to act, usually in a loud, attention-getting voice. (hopefully that's not you!)

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
. Outside of work, I sometimes catch myself acting like a leader that nobody asked me to .

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Number 3 is real for some people. I think both of my parents went through it and I did too but in all three cases, IT DIDN"T LAST LONG! My husband skipped it all together and zoomed from stage 2 to stage 5 immediately. My stage 3 was somewhat related to the weather - when it's too hot or cold to do a lot outside, sometimes I think I might as well be at w*rk but then I get over it. It also helped me to get through stage 3 by hearing those still w*rking fuss about j*b stresses. Still helps me! My stage 3 was also related to finances. My DH and I retired at 51 and 53 and we took an oath of poverty until 2014 when DH draws social security. Whoohoo!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I have been managing about 50 people for some time. Outside of work, I sometimes catch myself acting like a leader that nobody asked me to .

I have been in stage 1 for a short period and still have a lot of things to work out, including learning how to avoid stage 3.
Haha! My husband was in management too. For a while after we retired, when we would do a project together, he treated me like an employee. Come to think of it, he still does that once in a while. But he was a good manager.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
OMG, tell us which community you retire to so I can avoid it - can't stand those retired guys and gals who tell everybody else what to do and how to act, usually in a loud, attention-getting voice. (hopefully that's not you!)

Amethyst
Thanks... that's a wake up call...
I wonder if I've been doing that... If so, am going to change. It shoud be, "what I do", and not "what you should do".
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #40

The main reason I never bid on a management job at my agency is that I never wanted to be responsible for anyone other than myself. Also, I felt the management pay scale was not commensurate with the additional responsibilities and aggravation that come with these jobs.

If I were retired now, I would be in a state of sheer bliss at the thought of not having to struggle into the office on the cold, dark, snowy mornings that lie ahead. We don't get that many of them here in southwestern PA but I dread them nevertheless.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote