6 Stages of Retirement

According to study by Robert Atchley, there are 6 or 7 stages of retirement...

They are:
1. Pre-retirement planning
2. Honeymoon, relaxation period
3. Disillusionment
4. Reorientation
5. Retirement Routine
6. Termination of retirement, old age
I have stopped work for only 18 months, but I had been working on/off, and part-time at that, for nearly 10 years before that. So, I kind of knew what full retirement would be like before I started.

I think my phases will be like this, where I will be alternating between phases 2 and 5.

1. Pre-retirement [-]planning[/-] :whistle:

while (forever)
{
2. Honeymoon :dance:
[-]3. Disillusionment
4. Reorientation[/-]
5. Retirement Routine :whistle:
if (terminal illness) break; :(
}

6. Termination of retirement :dead:

After 52 days in stage 2, I have no expectations of moving on to stage 3 any time soon (or at all). It helps that I started my retirement with a full list of things to do.

I signed up for a little very part time consultancy as part of my exit arrangement so I would have a transitional period rather than go cold turkey but have already concluded that I don't need it.

Life is good.:D

Congrats!

Last edited:
1. Pre-retirement [-]planning[/-] :whistle:

while (forever)
{
2. Honeymoon :dance:
[-]3. Disillusionment
4. Reorientation[/-]
5. Retirement Routine :whistle:
if (terminal illness) break; :(
}

6. Termination of retirement :dead:

Clearly, a SW programmer. I haven't programmed in years but mine would be something like ...

While OMY {
if
my_asset > 2M then retire (2M)
else
work (megacorp);
}

retire (int myasset) {
while (myasset > 1) {
honeymoon;
}
}

Last edited:
Yes, I programmed in assembly, Fortran, and C. Never web software but analytical software for simulation and analysis, and also embedded firmware.

And I also designed and built hardware including analog, digital circuits and RF circuits up to 2GHz.

Yes, I programmed in assembly, Fortran, and C. Never web software but analytical software for simulation and analysis, and also embedded firmware.

Sounds all too familiar. My area was I/O controller, imaging SW, interrupt handler. When CPUs went multi-core, multi-threading, debugging became too complex and I jumped into management. Now, it's OMY in megacorp until I had enough.

Back to OT, I don't think I will have much of stage 3 but I will do some research and planning to avoid it altogether.

Sometimes catch myself acting like a leader that nobody asked me to :blush:.
:blush: me too. Old habits are hard to break?

I haven't changed WRT to DW or friends (thank goodness), but when I am in a group setting with goals in front of us and the group is wandering (all over the place), I usually can't help myself...

Last edited:
:blush: me too. Old habits are hard to break?

I haven't changed WRT to DW or friends (thank goodness), but when I am in a group setting with goals in front of us and the group is wandering (all over the place), I usually can't help myself...

Same here. One reason I volunteer a lot is so that I can exercise my leadership skills (ok, bossiness) on people other than DH. I've actually found that ER has helped a lot with that - w*rk was so stressful that I was rarely able to turn off the boss gene when I got home. I was pretty rough on DH and the kids at times, which I truly regret now.

One hasn't truly experienced the joy of programming until you've experienced the holy trinity of programming, all done on IBM mainframes:

Assembly language
CICS
JCL

I feel dirty just for typing those things...

One hasn't truly experienced the joy of programming until you've experienced the holy trinity of programming, all done on IBM mainframes:

Assembly language
CICS
JCL

+1
Back in the day I had to modify the CICS source code(DFHERM) to fix a storage violation. My manager was funny, I told him the issue, what was wrong etc. He said well fix it, I protested, it's CICS!

He said its an assembler program, aren't you an assembler programmer? Then he told me to made the user mod, test it, and how to get it into an official fix from the vendors.

Happy day when it was officially fixed!

FYI - CICS is now part of Websphere, think it's called Transaction Server.

MRG

Assembly language
CICS
JCL

This is how I started my career; I do not feel dirty about that at all. Rather, a bit sad reminiscing about a bygone era.

Assembly language
CICS
JCL

It gave me a feeling of accomplishment to make it all work.

According to these stages, I have passed through 3 (introspection), I am completing 4 (reorientation). As of March 2014, I will begin 5 (new routine). That is when I get off of the @#$#@!@#@ neighborhood HOA. (I got snookered in a moment of weakness.)

Word of advice to all new FIRE's, learn to say NO!

I've taken advice from Nancy Reagan; I "just say no!!"

I use this line all the time with people who try to snooker me into joining stuff I don't want to join or doing stuff I don't want to do.

OTOH, different strokes for different folks. My sister is in several quilting groups, a book club, and a community women's organization and seems to love having her calendar full of commitments. I've been there and done that and don't want to be committed to do anything at any time if I don't want to. I've helped my sister on many occasions with different fundraisers she was involved with and different activities that she was hostessing, but I don't have to if I don't want to. :flowers:

Almost 6 months into retirement for DH and we're definitely in Stage 2 and hope to stay there for a very long time. There will be no Stage 3 for him. It took him less than a nano-second to leave his managerial identity behind.

I think it's time for cocktails and a few hands of gin!! :dance:

18 months since leaving the evil empire, I'm still in stage 2. I think I'll stay. Still giddy every time I hear from people still working there. :dance:

Assembly language
CICS
JCL

Forgive the drift, but this triggered a sleeping brain cell.
:cool:
To put a fine point on the subject, not mainframes or those initials, (which mean nothing to me), but a moment in time... programming my ADAM computer back in 1983...
Then, in my own business, in 1986, (Apple 2E) with no training at all...writing programs for pricing... from scratch... pages and pages of BASIC to bring together the 20+ variables (time, materials, travel, utilities, overhead, maintenance etc., etc.. to get a single price. I was an early entrant into the computer vinyl signing business, and at the time, the process of "pricing the product" was a seat of the pants operation . Even the most advanced part of the industry was using a loose pricing policy, and this was a quantum leap to improve profitability.
The other big thing in graphics (at the time) was digitizing... an art in itself. http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/digitizing_tablet.html
Programming began and ended there... :blush:

Last edited:
Forgive the drift, but this triggered a sleeping brain cell.
:cool:
To put a fine point on the subject, not mainframes or those initials, (which mean nothing to me), but a moment in time... programming my ADAM computer back in 1983...
Then, in my own business, in 1986, (Apple 2E) with no training at all...writing programs for pricing... from scratch... pages and pages of BASIC to bring together the 20+ variables (time, materials, travel, utilities, overhead, maintenance etc., etc.. to get a single price. I was an early entrant into the computer vinyl signing business, and at the time, the process of "pricing the product" was a seat of the pants operation . Even the most advanced part of the industry was using a loose pricing policy, and this was a quantum leap to improve profitability.
The other big thing in graphics (at the time) was digitizing... an art in itself. What is digitizing tablet? - A Word Definition From the Webopedia Computer Dictionary
Programming began and ended there... :blush:

Ah, the good old ADAM. I had a ColecoVision, which was a close relative.

My first personal computer was an Atari 400 with a membrane keyboard and a tape recorder for storage. I thought myself BASIC on that.

After that, I got an Apple //e with the green monitor and one disk drive. I was in heaven! That disk drive made me feel like a king, LOL. I loved that computer. Played many a game on it.

I wish I still had it, but I sold it to a nursing student so I could an IBM PC clone. A Zenith IIRC, with a Zenith flat-screen CRT.

After that, it's been a succession of PCs, and for the last 10 years or so, I've built my own. Every 3 years or so, I go buy all new high-end components and build a PC. They're expensive at first, but amortized over their 3-year lifespan, it's not too bad.

My very first foray into computers wasn't computers per se, but hanging out at the local arcade, a Bally's Aladdin's Castle in our local mall. I became friends with the manager and he'd let me watch him open up and repair the pinball machines and video games. Fascinating stuff as a kid.

I stumbled across a site not too long ago called Arcade Ambience where they have recordings of arcades from the 80's:

Welcome to the Arcade Ambience Project Page

I downloaded some of those and played them. Wow, what memories. Took me right back to my Donkey Kong Jr. days, LOL.

First computer was a 99/4a, with a tape cartridge. Next was a Tandy 1000. Great word processor that required coding for bolding, underlining, etc. Was fun when I was young...

I'm not playing. We've done this "top my ancient IT history story" meme too many times. Just say "I'm old and I'm proud!" and be done with it.

I'm not playing. We've done this "top my ancient IT history story" meme too many times. Just say "I'm old and I'm proud!" and be done with it.

01001100 11001000 11100100 01001100 .... :D

Back to OT - just posted on Class of 2016 thread. That gives my stage 1 period about 2 more years. It will give me plenty of time to get ready for the future stages (hoping to skip stage 3).

EOL. EOF. :greetings10:

Life "Under the Radar"

I've taken advice from Nancy Reagan; I "just say no!!"

I use this line all the time with people who try to snooker me into joining stuff I don't want to join or doing stuff I don't want to do.

OTOH, different strokes for different folks. My sister is in several quilting groups, a book club, and a community women's organization and seems to love having her calendar full of commitments. I've been there and done that and don't want to be committed to do anything at any time if I don't want to. I've helped my sister on many occasions with different fundraisers she was involved with and different activities that she was hostessing, but I don't have to if I don't want to. :flowers:

+1

Have been at Stage 2 for about 1 1/2 years, dabbling intermittently in Stage 5. Don't see much reason to venture into 3 or 4 because (I'm pretty sure) I did all of that throughout my career, as well as during Stage 1.

As a teacher I was constantly serving on committees and doing lots of "gratis" work that helped out schools and kids. During the parenting years, my calendar was always filled with commitments to work, church, community, and DH's and DS's activities. Now, I've promised myself that I will help out when I want to. So, for example, even though the local Salvation Army would like me to "count kettles" at least one day a week, from now until Christmas, I've told them I will find 2-3 days to come in, and will let them know which days those will be.

That allows me to really enjoy preparing for the holidays at our house, something I never had plenty of time to do before ER. (Oh, FWIW-- "counting kettles" consists of going in to the SA headquarters after the trucks have dropped off the 100+ kettles that were collected from the bell ringers the night before. A team of us then count and tally all that cash --TWO-THREE TIMES-- to make sure it's accurate. Then we have to prep the bags of $ for when the Brinks truck shows up. The job has so many built-in checks and balances that it's inspiring: it seems that any penny you drop into a kettle does indeed make it to the Brinks truck, and then ends up at the bank. The SA is a conscientious and meticulous organization.)

ANYWAY, once I start "counting kettles," then they always need people to pack the grocery give-aways, wrap the Christmas gifts, work at the gift distribution......there is always so much work to do, and for a good cause.
But, over the years, I've learned the hard way: it's so easy to get exhausted as a volunteer, and then never get a Christmas cookie baked for my own family......

So, am trying to focus on the benefits of "no." It facilitates Stage 2, and a sense of mastering one's own days.

:)

I would simplify it to Pre-retirement -- Early phase of retirement -- Late phase of retirement. The early phase may be a very long time, depending on age and health.
Since I consider retirement as a journey, I expect to have bumps along the road, some disenchantment, and also a lot of freedom and fun time. I think it's a mixed bag, and we should learn to adjust to it. I'm in stage I yet, and I'm pretty much disenchanted with some aspect of my life. It is expected to be the same in retirement.

Back
Top Bottom