Join Early Retirement Today

7 Reasons Why You Really Shouldn't Move to Cambodia
Old 12-31-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

7 Reasons Why You Really Shouldn't Move to Cambodia

A funny article and a good read, whether you are contemplating retiring to Cambodia or not!

7 Reasons Why You Really Shouldn

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
A funny article and a good read, whether you are contemplating retiring to Cambodia or not!

7 Reasons Why You Really Shouldn
Hysterical. likely a lot of truth. When I was younger and off and on working in third world countries (not Asia) this pretty much would have summed up my ideas. The main plus seem to be an opportunity to sleep with women who thought and acted differently from those at home.

Ha

Old 12-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

< snip >
Old 12-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

That was funny? Seemed dead serious to me!
Old 12-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Hysterical. likely a lot of truth. When I was younger and off and on working in third world countries (not Asia) this pretty much would have summed up my ideas. The main plus seem to be an opportunity to sleep with women who thought and acted differently from those at home.

Ha
My mother, who is foreign, told me many times never to marry an American woman. I failed to heed her admonition.

"We ought not to be embarrassed about appreciating the truth and obtaining it wherever it comes from, even if it comes from races distant and nations different from us. Nothing should be dearer to the seeker of truth than the truth itself, and there is no deterioration of the truth, nor belittling either of one who speaks or conveys it.." -- Ya'qub ibn Ishaq al-Kindi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That was funny? Seemed dead serious to me!
Funny or serious, he did a huge disservice to Cambodia and its people with his articles (I read the others ones, too). Having grown up in a third world country (at the time), I see a bit of parallel to what Cambodia and its people are going through with the one I grew up in. It may have been funny to the writer, or readers but there's a lot of tragedy behind what the articles portray. I shouldn't have laughed too hard in retrospect.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I found it insensitive and disrespectful, and it have never visited Cambodia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Funny or serious, he did a huge disservice to Cambodia and its people with his articles (I read the others ones, too). Having grown up in a third world country (at the time), I see a bit of parallel to what Cambodia and its people are going through with the one I grew up in. It may have been funny to the writer, or readers but there's a lot of tragedy behind what the articles portray. I shouldn't have laughed too hard in retrospect.
If the idea was to discourage drugged out low income US expats from relocating there he might have done them (Cambodia) a favor.

I didn't laugh at all.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There was a time when Cambodia was a lot less fun than it is now...and it wasn't too long ago. Most of my buddies came back with European wives instead.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #10

It was supposed to be funny, but more sarcastic than funny. Going there for a river cruise on the Mekong next month. The issues in the article won't effect us.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #11

I really need that visit to the ophthalmologist--I thought this was the forward a friend sent me, about reasons not to move to another country that starts with "Ca...", with things like this
Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #12

They still write articles like this? I imagine this was aimed at the white male audience? Half brown children?? Really
Old 01-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish I could get back the 10 minutes of my life I spent reading that article.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Life is cheap in these countries. They say that for a reason.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I found it insensitive and disrespectful, and it have never visited Cambodia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hear you but it's all true. I've been to many 3rd world countrie and the writer accurately portrays life in many if not all 3rd world countries. It's so hilarious and I feel bad for laughing so hard because it's really a description of what it's like to live in a poor country which is no laughing matter.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
I hear you but it's all true. I've been to many 3rd world countrie and the writer accurately portrays life in many if not all 3rd world countries. It's so hilarious and I feel bad for laughing so hard because it's really a description of what it's like to live in a poor country which is no laughing matter.
Some people prefer reality, others prefer pretty pictures.

Ha
Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Sweet Dreams
Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree
I travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something

Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused...
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - YouTube
Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had Khmer440 on a bookmark for a while, and have read and enjoyed this guy's articles before. On his twitter profile he describes himself:
"Las Vegas-based neurotic traveler. Mostly to Southeast Asia. Sometimes I write smart ass articles about Cambodia"

You might also want to check out:

7 Reasons Why You Should “Friend” Cambodian Women on Facebook
or
7 Reasons Why You Should Never “Friend” Cambodian Women on Facebook
or to find his other articles click on his name.

Maybe soon he will have another article on 7 Reasons Why You Should Move to Cambodia. Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If the idea was to discourage drugged out low income US expats from relocating there he might have done them (Cambodia) a favor.

I didn't laugh at all.
Sadly, you are correct. There are a lot of these drugged out low income expats frequenting the bar scene there. If you stay around the tourist bars you will see them. But this is not the whole story. I know an American surgeon who used to go there once a year to help burn victims. He eventually chose to live there and setup a medical practice. There are many other expats, from UK, Australia, New Zealand, and the US. They setup businesses, work in NGOs and try to be a positive influence in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
It was supposed to be funny, but more sarcastic than funny. Going there for a river cruise on the Mekong next month. The issues in the article won't effect us.
You will love it! I have been to Cambodia a dozen times and Jan/Feb is my favorite time of the year. Its the dry season and relatively cool. I don't know what your schedule is but if you are in Phnom Penh and plan to go to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat, take the speedboat to up the Tonle Sap to Siem Reap, its an unforgettable experience. Angkor Wat is purported to be the largest temple complex in the world, and rightly should be on everyone's bucket list. FYI, the Tonle Sap merges with the Mekong at Phnom Penh. It is the only river in the world that I know of that reverses direction depending on the time of year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
From all I have seen, an expat can live a healthy happy full life in Cambodia if that is what their passion is. Even raise a family. But if your only reason to go there is living cheaply, alcohol sex and drugs, you probably will be miserable and die young, not only in Cambodia, but anywhere in the world.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got back from Siem Reap. Loved it and thinking about possibly living there for a while.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Somehow Cambodia is the place du jour, as Bangkok was a couple years back. Does anyone think Cambodia is somehow immune to the kind of unrest that is now in Thailand?

I think that sometimes internet denizens have a 10 minute memory.

Ha