8/28 - Taking the Plunge to ER

shotgunner

Full time employment: Posting here.
Well come 8/28 I will be moving from Semi-ER to full ER or maybe something in between. 7+ years ago at age 51 I went from a full time wage slave and was able to turn my job into a half time position. Well there are new powers in town and they want to change my position to full time so I am all done at the end of August.

With some effort on my part over the last year and a little luck the timing is PERFECT. I have been hired on as motorcycle tour guide and my first tour, 6 days in the mid-atlantic, with a group of Danish riders is scheduled for 9/12. Guides do 2 to 4 tours a year on average.

I am hoping this will be a wonderful way to spend some time traveling around the US in retirement and getting paid to do it.

Now to get used to a fuller distribution phase of life, but I feel really ready. Even my half time the job was starting to be a grind. Amazing how a change in management can cause one to go from happy to unhappy in a short time. But it was just the nudge I needed.

Your motorcycle tour guide gig sounds like way too much fun--admit it, you would pay them for it instead of vice versa, right? :)

Congratulations on your new phase!

I have been hired on as motorcycle tour guide and my first tour, 6 days in the mid-atlantic, with a group of Danish riders is scheduled for 9/12. Guides do 2 to 4 tours a year on average.

I am hoping this will be a wonderful way to spend some time traveling around the US in retirement and getting paid to do it.

I used to love to hunt ducks. then my company decided to make me the corporate entertainer. I secured a lease and ended up hunting every day for the entire season. problem was, i was entertaining a bunch of folks from around the country, and the job became a major chore within a week, and downright drudgery after 3 weeks. I have not hunted since that season.

Hope your experience with the Danish is much better than mine!

Your motorcycle tour guide gig sounds like way too much fun--admit it, you would pay them for it instead of vice versa, right? :)

Congratulations on your new phase!

Thank you. I am sure there will be issues to deal with as a guide. Group ready to go and somebody oversleeping, flat tires, mechanical problems with a bike, a dropped motorcycle, screwup on reservations etc.

I did some cross country riding out west last year, to be honest I prefer to be independent from a group, choosing when I want to stop, where and for how long.

However I think a few weeks out of the year it will be a job that provides paid travel and is more fun than not.

A shameless commercial plug for one of the tours, but tell me doesn't it look good? :)

Congratulations on going to the next phase in your life. Being a motorcycle tour guide sounds like a great supplemental job, but I wouldn't want to count on it as a long term source of income. It's one of those great jobs to have from time to time.

Sounds as if a great deal of preparation would need to be done--to avoid problems when the Danes show up.

I ran into 3 guys on new Ducati's 2 weeks ago going from Sacramento to Philadelphia--through the Smokies and the Tale of the Dragon. I also ran into a German on a rental Harley going through the Cherowala Skyway (TN/NC). They were all loving it.

The motorcycle tour company called me Friday last week and they want to change which tour will be my first assignment. Instead of riding with a group of Danes in the mid-Atlantic I will be flying out to the Windy City to guide a 15 day tour of RT66 from Chicago to L.A. Yea me!!! :dance:

T-minus 25 days to go to full ER but who is counting :greetings10:

I ran into 3 guys on new Ducati's 2 weeks ago going from Sacramento to Philadelphia--through the Smokies and the Tale of the Dragon. I also ran into a German on a rental Harley going through the Cherowala Skyway (TN/NC).

You sound like a real menace on the road. ;)

Back
Top Bottom