Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2009, 04:47 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Any potential issues they should be aware of that they may not discover until they are over there?
Sort of an odd situation. I wouldn't know much to tell them since my kid isn't yet of school age, so no direct educational experiences. I would hope that their German family has sorted out all the details for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post
This is probably a stupid question but it is something I always wondered.

If you only speak English will you be ok in Germany or do you have to learn German to really be able to get along in Germany?

Jim
You mean for long term or just vacation? Vacation yes. Long term is still yes, but you're life would be much more difficult always looking for someone to help you in English and the locals wouldn't appreciate it. German isn't terribly difficult to learn for an English speaker anyway, as there are so many similarities. You wouldn't become fluent right away, but getting to a basic daily usage wouldn't take that long either, if you make an honest effort at it.

I speak pretty good German and get by in daily life fully in German, but do get stuck occasionally, usually because the locals around here speak a different dialect of German than the standard High German, so it throws me off.

I will say Germans are more like Americans or Russians in that they expect you to learn and speak their language when living here. Which is fair, but it does differ from smaller countries (say Estonia or Holland) where people are used to being multi-lingual (pride themselves on it) and are more eager to converse with you in your native language. Most Germans aren't eager to speak in English and will exhaust all possibilities of communicating to you in German before attempting it.

My impression anyway.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post

I will say Germans are more like Americans or Russians in that they expect you to learn and speak their language when living here. ... Most Germans aren't eager to speak in English and will exhaust all possibilities of communicating to you in German before attempting it.

My impression anyway.
Interesting. In the business situation I was in, the Germans were quite clear that they considered it "silly" for any of us to try to converse in German. They considered English to be the language of business, they all spoke very good English, and that was that!

But I could see how it would be different in a community, outside of an international-mega-corp setting.

-ERD50

Old 07-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Interesting. In the business situation I was in, the Germans were quite clear that they considered it "silly" for any of us to try to converse in German. They considered English to be the language of business, they all spoke very good English, and that was that!

But I could see how it would be different in a community, outside of an international-mega-corp setting.

-ERD50
It is the business language at Megacorps and international settings. I'm talking about daily life in town with the average German you're likely to encounter.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post
This is probably a stupid question but it is something I always wondered.

If you only speak English will you be ok in Germany or do you have to learn German to really be able to get along in Germany?

Jim
If you only speak English, you will be OK anywhere in the world. It's amazing that one can always communicate even with folks who don't understand a word of English.

If you only speak Chinese, you will be OK anywhere in the world. It's amazing that one can always communicate even with folks who don't understand a word of Chinese.

If you only speak French, you will be OK anywhere in the world. It's amazing that one can always communicate even with folks who don't understand a word of French.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I found a number of English speakers in Germany way back in the late '60's, so I would assume there are even more today. And I found the Germans (at least around Berlin) loved Americans.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
If you only speak English, you will be OK anywhere in the world. It's amazing that one can always communicate even with folks who don't understand a word of English.

If you only speak Chinese, you will be OK anywhere in the world. It's amazing that one can always communicate even with folks who don't understand a word of Chinese.

If you only speak French, you will be OK anywhere in the world. It's amazing that one can always communicate even with folks who don't understand a word of French.
LOL! My basic sign language works everywhere. English translation at bakery counter: "two of those and one of that," and the clerk is happy to figure the change.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We lived in Germany for 3 years 1980-1983. We lived 'on the economy' i.e. in a small town called Winnweiler. I have also lived in Thailand, Korea, Hawaii, and several states. Germany was one of our favorite countries.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We lived in Germany for 3 years 1980-1983. We lived 'on the economy' i.e. in a small town called Winnweiler. I have also lived in Thailand, Korea, Hawaii, and several states. Germany was one of our favorite countries.
We also spent three years (an accompanied tour) in Germany and enjoyed it immensely. The people were kind and fun loving...very down to earth. I was young though and regret not having put my pride on the shelf and interacted more with the locals. I guess I was embarrased when they laughed as I perceived they were laughing at me not with me. By the end of my stay, I could speak enough German to get around and have a good time in the pub's. It was an opportunity of a life time!
Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Germans, at least in my town, are sticklers for the rules..
there is the old joke

In Germany, everything is forbidden, except that which is permitted, in France, everything is permitted, except that which is forbidden, and in Italy, everything is permitted, especially that which is forbidden : - )
Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if most of Germany and the EU now is used to English, since everybody in Europe now can move around and live and work where they want.

I haven't lived in Germany, but I was there last month on vacation, and at the Subway store for lunch when I couldn't think of the German word for 'green pepper' and was just awkwardly pointing and grunting, the sandwich artist quickly switched to English. I suspect if they're that comfortable with English in a Subway store, they must know as much in the smaller towns, at least for you to get by.