Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post

Old Pro was on MMM about a year ago. Basically had the same spiel about living abroad which he has many valid points but he also has a very confrontational writing style and IMO is a one trick pony.
I would hope that we can give everyone who comes here a fair shake and not judge them on what they may or may not have posted somewhere else. I would also hope that we don't automatically dismiss the thoughts of those who do not post as frequently as some do.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I would hope that we can give everyone who comes here a fair shake and not judge them on what they may or may not have posted somewhere else. I would also hope that we don't automatically dismiss the thoughts of those who do not post as frequently as some do.
Yep, everyone has the right to form their own opinions. I was just expressing mine. The judgement started 3 pages ago and not with my post.

Also, why not change your user name?

Old 01-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

apparently west LA is not an inexpensive place to retire...
Old 01-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm now on the lookout for this. Sounds amazing.

Brewer has used that term here on the forum.
I think the rabbit had sauteed artichokes and balsamic reduction (just a few drops).
Old 01-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #65

how big can a rabbit loin be?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #66

I think whoever is posting about rabbits and such is out of their mind. Thanks OldPro for your thoughts I totally agree with you.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #67

My BFF is a full blown foodie and lived in Italy for several years. She's good friends with a chef in her town that is originally from Milan. He has taught some cooking courses to his regulars - and did a whole series on rabbits - including how to break them down to their different parts, for different dishes. She now does it at home - after finding out from the chef which butcher in town to get the rabbit from.

I've only had rabbit once - it was at the restaurant at the Philadelphia Museum of Art and it was a really good rabbit and bean stew.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

OldPro really reminds me of a recent poster who eventually was kicked out. Very similar in that they were older, had lived in many places around the world and held very strong opinions that their opinion alone was right. Anyone recall that person, moderators?

Anyway...to add a new twist to the low cost of living issue: I also think folks should consider these low cost places to have their own challenges. There is a reason they are low cost. While not scientific (although I bet I could back this up), they generally are poorer locales with higher crime rates and fewer services and/or amenities. I think the idea sounds great to go to a lower cost of living place but realize it comes at a non-monetary price.

For fun, check out Cost of Living
You will quickly see many, not all, lower cost places have much higher crime rates.

Cheers!

FWIW - the other poster lived in many places, including Greece but eventually settled in Canada. His (not her) posts were often lengthy. I cannot recall the name however.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
how big can a rabbit loin be?
Rabbits have a tenderloin, a cut of meat that is similar to pigs and cows. Filet Mignon is the cow cut by itself. A pork chop for pigs. The loin runs from hip to shoulder. For rabbits it's about a hand length.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:41 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I think whoever is posting about rabbits and such is out of their mind .
Maybe.

Quote:
Thanks OldPro for your thoughts I totally agree with you.

I agree with him as well. What may be inexpensive to some may not be inexpensive to others.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
Yep, everyone has the right to form their own opinions. I was just expressing mine. The judgement started 3 pages ago and not with my post.

Also, why not change your user name?
Your post was merely the most convenient one for a reply, but my message was for everyone.

Why should I change my user name?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:51 PM   #72

Quote:
Rabbits have a tenderloin, a cut of meat that is similar to pigs and cows. Filet Mignon is the cow cut by itself. A pork chop for pigs. The loin runs from hip to shoulder. For rabbits it's about a hand length.
I've had "coniglio", in Tuscany. It was delicious. I couldn't tell you what part it was. What you describe is bigger than I would have thought, but then, I don't know anything about it.

Back on topic, I totally get what OldPro is saying. ( hence my post on Zimbabwe). Getting distracted by rabbits was in no way intended to be disrespectful to his post.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I've had "coniglio", in Tuscany. It was delicious. I couldn't tell you what part it was. What you describe is bigger than I would have thought, but then, I don't know anything about it.

Back on topic, I totally get what OldPro is saying. ( hence my post on Zimbabwe). Getting distracted by rabbits was in no way intended to be disrespectful to his post.
Yep, coniglio is the loin. Maybe take off a fingertip but you are still gonna be close on the length.

Edit; i was wrong, coniglio is just italian for rabbit; not the cut of rabbit.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Those who grew up in the rural south during and just after the depression depended on rabbit, coon, possum, deer, squirrel, dove, quail, turkey and homegrown domestic animals for meat. There was no going to the grocery store for organic, all natural boneless skinless chicken breast filets. Ones idea of what is acceptable depends a lot on when and where they were born and grew up.
And it fits the description of living in an inexpensive area. Raising your own protein is pretty thrifty and tasty way to live. Beside rabbits are fun.

I get the OP'S point. I watched my parents go through it for awhile. DF wanted to live on St. Lawrence, DM didn't want to live there without a flush toilet. Florida was a compromise.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Why should I change my user name?
Mix up there. I was talking about old pro. I wasn't clear. My bad. He gained a reputation on MMM and if you don't want your reputation to follow you then why don't you change your username (unless you think you are always right). I stated he had several valid points but he is largely combative when anyone questions him and in a very off-putting way. I think that is illustrative on the first page of this thread.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I myself think Oldpro has some good points. On the other hand, generic and non-specific questions can still lead to interesting discussions and useful information.

Usually when people ask some generic questions, in their mind they were thinking "inexpensive relative to the US". But of course, even in the US the cost of living differs greatly between Manhattan and some small towns in the Midwest. On top of that, in the same place the range of lifestyles varies greatly. I am sure not everybody who lives in NYC works on Wall Street and makes $500K/year.

So, perhaps people are thinking of an "average place" in the US, if such a thing can be defined, and an "average lifestyle". Of course, the suggestions in the answering posts would not mean much initially. But I would think that if anyone who is interested in moving to Costa Rica, or Cozumel, or Belize, he would spend more time to first research the Web, then to visit such locales and to investigate further the real estate market, the crime environment, the health care situation, etc...

But just the mention that a particular place has a lot of expatriate retirees must mean something. That is, if many Joe and Jane Blows find it a comfortable retirement haven, then the place must be somewhat affordable to the average retiree. One would not say the same thing about the French Riviera, for example.

So, even non-specific answers to a broad question can be interesting as they bring up possibilities and a chance for a dialog to get to more details. It's all good.

Now, getting back to the rabbit, this thread has revived my interest in acquiring the whole frozen rabbit, even if I have to consume it all by myself. But I will need to learn more about the rabbit anatomy, in order to break it down to make more than one dish. Rabbit loin? Hmmm... That's interesting. First time I heard of such a thing. One never knows what he can learn here. I bet I can find more info on the Web about how to cut up a rabbit, and get myself this precious small loin.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #77
Administrator

Quote:
Mix up there. I was talking about old pro. I wasn't clear. My bad. He gained a reputation on MMM and if you don't want your reputation to follow you then you change your username. I stated he had several valid points but he is largely combative when anyone questions him and in a very off-putting way. I think that is illustrative on the first page of this thread.
It is certainly fair to judge people on what they post here, and the OP did strike a dissonant tone with many people. My principal concern is that we not run off newcomers who may need some time to understand the zeitgeist of the forum.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Now, getting back to the rabbit, this thread has revived my interest in acquiring the whole frozen rabbit, even if I have to consume it all by myself. But I will need to learn more about the rabbit anatomy, in order to break it down to make more than one dish. Rabbit loin? Hmmm... That's interesting. First time I heard of such a thing. One never knows that he can learn here. I bet I can find more info on the Web about how to cut up a rabbit, and get myself this precious small loin.
I've eaten a lot of rabbit, in my young years that I shot and dressed myself. Later, my Italian raised wife had her own Italian butcher in Hollywood where she bought rabbit. She had wonderful ways to prepare it.

I think when people say loin referring to rabbit they mean what would more commonly be called saddle. If you actually boned out a loin as you do a pork or beef or venison tenderloin, it would be tiny. The top loin should be differentiated from the tenderloin. One, the top loin, is on the animals back, just inboard of the fat and skin. The bottom loin, or tenderloin, faces the abdominal cavity and also runs along and stabilizes the vertebrae from below. Humans have the same anatomy. It works much less than the top loin and is inherently more tender while quite lean. Filet mignon or beef tournedos should be cut from the tenderloin, while New York steaks are from the top loin. The porterhouse includes both, on the bone.

One minute on Wikipedia should explain.I prepared rabbit saddle as both loins together, uncut from the spine, and disjointed from the two legs.

Ha
Old 01-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had caged rabbits as kids the male went visiting 5 females so we got 5 litters and no extra cages. So when they got about 9 weeks old dad would dispatch them and we froze some and fried some. If we didn't like it we could sell them and give dad the money for food. So we would eat rabbit every week for years. Then there was Snowball, Snowball was one of the rabbits we had all the time and fed every day until the day dad said she was too old and killed her. Mom decided to can Snowball since she was old and tough so we had Snowball in a jar but mom wrote Snowball on the label so she would know it was an old tough one. Nobody ever wanted to eat Snowball so she stayed in the jar until mom gave up and fed Snowball to the dog.
I don't mind eating rabbit but not rabbit named Snowball, just doesn't seem right.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

There was a place a couple of miles away fifty weeks a year their sign read "For sale -Rabbits live or dressed" the other weeks "For sale - Easter Bunnies".

I hunted rabbits as a kid. The rare times I bagged one DM would cook them. Always found it odd, Mom who was a great cook, couldn't cook rabbit worth a darn. Same way with all wild game.