A few words on 'Inexpensive place to live'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I myself think Oldpro has some good points. On the other hand, generic and non-specific questions can still lead to interesting discussions and useful information.

Usually when people ask some generic questions, in their mind they were thinking "inexpensive relative to the US". But of course, even in the US the cost of living differs greatly between Manhattan and some small towns in the Midwest. On top of that, in the same place the range of lifestyles varies greatly. I am sure not everybody who lives in NYC works on Wall Street and makes $500K/year.

So, perhaps people are thinking of an "average place" in the US, if such a thing can be defined, and an "average lifestyle". Of course, the suggestions in the answering posts would not mean much initially. But I would think that if anyone who is interested in moving to Costa Rica, or Cozumel, or Belize, he would spend more time to first research the Web, then to visit such locales and to investigate further the real estate market, the crime environment, the health care situation, etc...

But just the mention that a particular place has a lot of expatriate retirees must mean something. That is, if many Joe and Jane Blows find it a comfortable retirement haven, then the place must be somewhat affordable to the average retiree. One would not say the same thing about the French Riviera, for example.

So, even non-specific answers to a broad question can be interesting as they bring up possibilities and a chance for a dialog to get to more details. It's all good.

Now, getting back to the rabbit, this thread has revived my interest in acquiring the whole frozen rabbit, even if I have to consume it all by myself. But I will need to learn more about the rabbit anatomy, in order to break it down to make more than one dish. Rabbit loin? Hmmm... That's interesting. First time I heard of such a thing. One never knows what he can learn here. I bet I can find more info on the Web about how to cut up a rabbit, and get myself this precious small loin.

Last edited:
Mix up there. I was talking about old pro. I wasn't clear. My bad. He gained a reputation on MMM and if you don't want your reputation to follow you then you change your username. I stated he had several valid points but he is largely combative when anyone questions him and in a very off-putting way. I think that is illustrative on the first page of this thread.

It is certainly fair to judge people on what they post here, and the OP did strike a dissonant tone with many people. My principal concern is that we not run off newcomers who may need some time to understand the zeitgeist of the forum.

Now, getting back to the rabbit, this thread has revived my interest in acquiring the whole frozen rabbit, even if I have to consume it all by myself. But I will need to learn more about the rabbit anatomy, in order to break it down to make more than one dish. Rabbit loin? Hmmm... That's interesting. First time I heard of such a thing. One never knows that he can learn here. I bet I can find more info on the Web about how to cut up a rabbit, and get myself this precious small loin.
I've eaten a lot of rabbit, in my young years that I shot and dressed myself. Later, my Italian raised wife had her own Italian butcher in Hollywood where she bought rabbit. She had wonderful ways to prepare it.

I think when people say loin referring to rabbit they mean what would more commonly be called saddle. If you actually boned out a loin as you do a pork or beef or venison tenderloin, it would be tiny. The top loin should be differentiated from the tenderloin. One, the top loin, is on the animals back, just inboard of the fat and skin. The bottom loin, or tenderloin, faces the abdominal cavity and also runs along and stabilizes the vertebrae from below. Humans have the same anatomy. It works much less than the top loin and is inherently more tender while quite lean. Filet mignon or beef tournedos should be cut from the tenderloin, while New York steaks are from the top loin. The porterhouse includes both, on the bone.

One minute on Wikipedia should explain.I prepared rabbit saddle as both loins together, uncut from the spine, and disjointed from the two legs.

Ha

Last edited:
We had caged rabbits as kids the male went visiting 5 females so we got 5 litters and no extra cages. So when they got about 9 weeks old dad would dispatch them and we froze some and fried some. If we didn't like it we could sell them and give dad the money for food. So we would eat rabbit every week for years. Then there was Snowball, Snowball was one of the rabbits we had all the time and fed every day until the day dad said she was too old and killed her. Mom decided to can Snowball since she was old and tough so we had Snowball in a jar but mom wrote Snowball on the label so she would know it was an old tough one. Nobody ever wanted to eat Snowball so she stayed in the jar until mom gave up and fed Snowball to the dog.
I don't mind eating rabbit but not rabbit named Snowball, just doesn't seem right.

There was a place a couple of miles away fifty weeks a year their sign read "For sale -Rabbits live or dressed" the other weeks "For sale - Easter Bunnies".

I hunted rabbits as a kid. The rare times I bagged one DM would cook them. Always found it odd, Mom who was a great cook, couldn't cook rabbit worth a darn. Same way with all wild game.:)

We had caged rabbits as kids the male went visiting 5 females so we got 5 litters and no extra cages. So when they got about 9 weeks old dad would dispatch them and we froze some and fried some. If we didn't like it we could sell them and give dad the money for food. So we would eat rabbit every week for years. Then there was Snowball, Snowball was one of the rabbits we had all the time and fed every day until the day dad said she was too old and killed her. Mom decided to can Snowball since she was old and tough so we had Snowball in a jar but mom wrote Snowball on the label so she would know it was an old tough one. Nobody ever wanted to eat Snowball so she stayed in the jar until mom gave up and fed Snowball to the dog.
I don't mind eating rabbit but not rabbit named Snowball, just doesn't seem right.

Snowball in a jar. Your post made my day. :LOL:

Snowball in a jar. Your post made my day. :LOL:

:)

USAF Combat Crew Survival School, Fairchild AFB, Washington, early 1970's. A crew of seven were sent into the woods of eastern Washington for five days, with two days survival rations, a small hunk of beef, a few potatoes and onions - and a fluffy white bunny rabbit. Rule #1, take good care of the bunny - no eating him before day 5....

USAF Combat Crew Survival School, Fairchild AFB, Washington, early 1970's. A crew of seven were sent into the woods of eastern Washington for five days, with two days survival rations, a small hunk of beef, a few potatoes and onions - and a fluffy white bunny rabbit. Rule #1, take good care of the bunny - no eating him before day 5....

I bet it was the new guy who had to walk the bunny on a leash.

Never had rabbit that I know of, though I'd be willing to try it.

Funny how our culture dictates what we eat, and what's undesirable - where other cultures routinely eat what we consider undesirable (and just as important, vice versa).

Being from "the country", I've eaten squirrel, rabbit, turtle, frog legs, deer, elk, javelina, and dove, as well as various bass, bluegill, crappie, and catfish, all caught wild.

In the not-so-distant past, if you wanted to eat, you had to eat wild game, or at the very least, every edible part of the cow/pig/whatever. Being picky meant going without...

It's hardly a Survival School when they are given food to begin with. That's about as lame a course as you could think of.

Rabbit as survival food by the way is a two edged sword. There is what is known as 'rabbit starvation'. If they were going to give them any meat at all, it should have been a meat with some fat on it. Someone attempting to survive in the wilderness on a diet of rabbit alone will begin to suffer within 3 days, reducing their chances of survival.
Rabbit starvation results from low fat, low carb, protein-only diets

So I'm not sure just what the course described would teach anyone about survival in the woods other than it isn't that hard if you have enough food with you to begin with.

And a thank you to those who sent me a 'thank you' for posting this thread. It's nice to see some people understood the intent. As for the rest..........

I remember brewer12345's discussion of limb chickens. I really enjoyed reading it, it was amusing because of my ignorance of what that referred to. Afterwards, for a while, all my recipes (to friends) began with, "Shoot two limb chickens in the head". Even martinis.

Some forums apparently forbid this. On some forums, certain posters like to "out" other posters who have changed their handles. "You posted the exact same stuff under X and Y, and now you're trying to cover up by calling yourself Z!" Me, I can't figure out where they find the time to do all this [-]stalking[/-] intelligence analysis of other posters!

Mif you don't want your reputation to follow you then why don't you change your username.

Is there such a thing as wild-game bacon?

Some forums apparently forbid this. On some forums, certain posters like to "out" other posters who have changed their handles. "You posted the exact same stuff under X and Y, and now you're trying to cover up by calling yourself Z!" Me, I can't figure out where they find the time to do all this [-]stalking[/-] intelligence analysis of other posters!
m

But someone who is Bestwifeever on this forum can call herself Cuckoobird on another forum--I think the point was why not call yourself something different here than what you call yourself on MMM. I don't do MMM (but I might have to register Cuckoobird now ��), but I would probably remember the user name of someone who stood out there if the same user name was used here--I don't think it's a form of stalking.

Last edited:
And a thank you to those who sent me a 'thank you' for posting this thread. It's nice to see some people understood the intent. As for the rest..........
I wonder how that compares with the number of thank you's "the rest" shared with each other? ;)

LOL, that handle belongs in every forum...

When I retired, I was going to change my moniker to Fire Opal, but then I read that opals are bad luck unless you were born in October. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

Amethyst

m

But someone who is Bestwifeever on this forum can call herself Cuckoobird on another forum--I think the point was why not call yourself something different here than what you call yourself on MMM. I don't do MMM (but I might have to register Cuckoobird now ��), but I would probably remember the user name of someone who stood out there if the same user name was used here--I don't think it's a form of stalking.

This thread is beginning to get interesting.

And at the same time!

This thread is beginning to get interesting.

No comprendo!

We have talked about how to cut up a rabbit, rabbit done different ways, various dishes including rabbit with wild hickory nuts (!), bacon from wild boar, limb chicken, caramel nut clusters, etc, and you just now get interested? :facepalm:

Last edited:
No comprendo!

We have talked about how to cut up a rabbit, rabbit done different ways, various dishes including rabbit with wild hickory nuts (!), bacon from wild boar, limb chicken, caramel nut clusters, etc, and you just now get interested? :facepalm:

Hey, you can't rush these things.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom