Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
We had caged rabbits as kids the male went visiting 5 females so we got 5 litters and no extra cages. So when they got about 9 weeks old dad would dispatch them and we froze some and fried some. If we didn't like it we could sell them and give dad the money for food. So we would eat rabbit every week for years. Then there was Snowball, Snowball was one of the rabbits we had all the time and fed every day until the day dad said she was too old and killed her. Mom decided to can Snowball since she was old and tough so we had Snowball in a jar but mom wrote Snowball on the label so she would know it was an old tough one. Nobody ever wanted to eat Snowball so she stayed in the jar until mom gave up and fed Snowball to the dog.
I don't mind eating rabbit but not rabbit named Snowball, just doesn't seem right.
Snowball in a jar. Your post made my day.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Snowball in a jar. Your post made my day.

USAF Combat Crew Survival School, Fairchild AFB, Washington, early 1970's. A crew of seven were sent into the woods of eastern Washington for five days, with two days survival rations, a small hunk of beef, a few potatoes and onions - and a fluffy white bunny rabbit. Rule #1, take good care of the bunny - no eating him before day 5....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

USAF Combat Crew Survival School, Fairchild AFB, Washington, early 1970's. A crew of seven were sent into the woods of eastern Washington for five days, with two days survival rations, a small hunk of beef, a few potatoes and onions - and a fluffy white bunny rabbit. Rule #1, take good care of the bunny - no eating him before day 5....
I bet it was the new guy who had to walk the bunny on a leash.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
[I]Never had rabbit that I know of, though I'd be willing to try it.

Funny how our culture dictates what we eat, and what's undesirable - where other cultures routinely eat what we consider undesirable (and just as important, vice versa).

Being from "the country", I've eaten squirrel, rabbit, turtle, frog legs, deer, elk, javelina, and dove, as well as various bass, bluegill, crappie, and catfish, all caught wild.

In the not-so-distant past, if you wanted to eat, you had to eat wild game, or at the very least, every edible part of the cow/pig/whatever. Being picky meant going without...

...not doing anything of true substance...
A few words on 'Inexpensive place to live'
Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

A few words on 'Inexpensive place to live'

Deleted.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #86
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

It's hardly a Survival School when they are given food to begin with. That's about as lame a course as you could think of.

Rabbit as survival food by the way is a two edged sword. There is what is known as 'rabbit starvation'. If they were going to give them any meat at all, it should have been a meat with some fat on it. Someone attempting to survive in the wilderness on a diet of rabbit alone will begin to suffer within 3 days, reducing their chances of survival.
Rabbit starvation results from low fat, low carb, protein-only diets

So I'm not sure just what the course described would teach anyone about survival in the woods other than it isn't that hard if you have enough food with you to begin with.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #87
gone traveling

And a thank you to those who sent me a 'thank you' for posting this thread. It's nice to see some people understood the intent. As for the rest..........
Old 01-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember brewer12345's discussion of limb chickens. I really enjoyed reading it, it was amusing because of my ignorance of what that referred to. Afterwards, for a while, all my recipes (to friends) began with, "Shoot two limb chickens in the head". Even martinis.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Some forums apparently forbid this. On some forums, certain posters like to "out" other posters who have changed their handles. "You posted the exact same stuff under X and Y, and now you're trying to cover up by calling yourself Z!" Me, I can't figure out where they find the time to do all this stalking intelligence analysis of other posters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
Mif you don't want your reputation to follow you then why don't you change your username.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Is there such a thing as wild-game bacon?
Old 01-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Porky can be avoided, it seems to me. He doesn't visit everywhere he probably should.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #92

Quote:
Back Burner

Quote:
We also offer javelina bacon, which comes from a small pig-like creature that roams the Sonoran Desert here. It is very tasty but gamey, like a wild boar.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Some forums apparently forbid this. On some forums, certain posters like to "out" other posters who have changed their handles. "You posted the exact same stuff under X and Y, and now you're trying to cover up by calling yourself Z!" Me, I can't figure out where they find the time to do all this stalking intelligence analysis of other posters!
m

But someone who is Bestwifeever on this forum can call herself Cuckoobird on another forum--I think the point was why not call yourself something different here than what you call yourself on MMM. I don't do MMM (but I might have to register Cuckoobird now ��), but I would probably remember the user name of someone who stood out there if the same user name was used here--I don't think it's a form of stalking.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPro View Post
And a thank you to those who sent me a 'thank you' for posting this thread. It's nice to see some people understood the intent. As for the rest..........
I wonder how that compares with the number of thank you's "the rest" shared with each other?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 01-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

LOL, that handle belongs in every forum...

When I retired, I was going to change my moniker to Fire Opal, but then I read that opals are bad luck unless you were born in October. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
m

But someone who is Bestwifeever on this forum can call herself Cuckoobird on another forum--I think the point was why not call yourself something different here than what you call yourself on MMM. I don't do MMM (but I might have to register Cuckoobird now ��), but I would probably remember the user name of someone who stood out there if the same user name was used here--I don't think it's a form of stalking.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #96

This thread is beginning to get interesting.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #97

Quote:
Can anyone confirm or disprove this?
This is the internet. We can do both.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #98

And at the same time!
Old 01-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
This thread is beginning to get interesting.
No comprendo!

We have talked about how to cut up a rabbit, rabbit done different ways, various dishes including rabbit with wild hickory nuts (!), bacon from wild boar, limb chicken, caramel nut clusters, etc, and you just now get interested?
Old 01-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No comprendo!

We have talked about how to cut up a rabbit, rabbit done different ways, various dishes including rabbit with wild hickory nuts (!), bacon from wild boar, limb chicken, caramel nut clusters, etc, and you just now get interested?
Hey, you can't rush these things.