Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I like turtles?
Me, too! Especially these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turtles.jpg (38.4 KB, 13 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post

I just had chicken and waffles for the first time the other day; I bet bunnies and pancakes would be pretty good too!

Just to be clear...I do not advocate EATING the bunnies!

Old 01-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
...........I like pancakes. And bacon.
I think the stock market gyration is making people grumpy.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When I was in the USAF the dining hall at Officer Training School served rabbit every Thursday. Yes, it tastes a lot like chicken...
Old 01-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are currently looking over a few states to buy a 2nd home and the biggest issue is all the varying states costs. We use Kiplinger's state by state tax guide for retirees.

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees-Kiplinger

Even their recommendations for (most tax friendly) states needs to be evaluated for your particular scenario.

Tennessee (tax friendly) doesn't have a state income tax, but does have a annual state income tax on dividends and interest (6% Hall tax). This works out to be higher than the state income tax where we currently live which exempts most retirement income.

Alabama (most tax friendly) taxes retirement income (not SS) above $6k for joint income. They tax food at the same rate as other purchases (10% where we are currently wintering).

Property taxes may be low, but where you want to buy - houses similar to yours are ~2 times higher than where you live (lost income opportunity on the extra home investment). A home in Texas could be cheaper overall than a home in Florida, even though Texas property tax is generally higher. Rent in your chosen area is much higher than averages given and where you currently live. You heat with gas at a reasonable rate now, but relocate to a place that mainly uses electric to heat at higher than what you now pay with gas (not to mention larger cooling bills in warmer climates).

Point is - you have to really do your homework and judge each place as it applies to your individual scenario, and not go by an overall recommendation like Kiplingers. Going to a different country surely brings its own complications that must be individually evaluated.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Me, too! Especially these...
Those are Turtles for sure. A former co-w*rker taught me there a quite a few other similar candies that look like turtles but aren't.

BTW - Turtle is quite tasty.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Long time ago, on this forum I talked about not eating bunny since I was 5 or 6. I think we were talking about nutria in the same thread. And I said that I wanted to get some rabbit to cook with wine.

In Europe, at a Carrefour market, I saw a pile of rabbit halves, and you had the choice of the front or the rear halves. Recently, I saw frozen rabbit in a local market, but it was whole. My wife said she would not touch it, and I did not want to eat the whole thing, so did not buy. But I guess at some point, I will make the jump.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPro View Post
I did feel the need to suggest that those asking define what they meant and those answering not assume they know what someone asking means by inexpensive.

This is real simple. People who want to ask, 'where is an inexpensive place to retire', should define what they mean by inexpensive. People who respond to such a question should make sure BEFORE answering that they know what the person asking means by inexpensive.
If an inadequately defined question come up in a thread/post, none of us are under any obligation to reply...

It seems people who provide random answers to vague questions are equally guilty, you might have a 'suggestion' for them? I've seen more useless answer to good questions, than useless questions - and less of either here than the world-at-large thankfully.

And don't forget thread hijackers while you're at it. Or anecdotal answers.

It seems some past sage has already coined the applicable adage...Ask a stupid question and you'll get a stupid answer.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 01-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Long time ago, on this forum I talked about not eating bunny since I was 5 or 6. I think we were talking about nutria in the same thread. And I said that I wanted to get some rabbit to cook with wine.
I refuse to eat nutria! Or rabbit, or any other game. My yard man pointed out a squirrel to me yesterday, saying that it looked delicious. He used to shoot and eat them when he was young and living in the country where hunting was legal. To me it sounds awful, although when I was young I used to fish for my dinner in a local creek sometimes and loved saving a few bucks that way. This was in a high cost of living area, Little Creek NAS. It was a high cost place to live specifically because with both of us working, we couldn't afford to eat 7 days a week there and still pay for my ex's flying lessons (which were worth it to him, and to me because he was so happy at finally getting flying lessons - - not something I resent at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And don't forget thread hijackers while you're at it.
Oh, oops. Carry on.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I refuse to eat nutria! Or rabbit, or any other game. My yard man pointed out a squirrel to me yesterday, saying that it looked delicious. He used to shoot and eat them when he was young and living in the country where hunting was legal. To me it sounds awful, although when I was young I used to fish for my dinner in a local creek sometimes and loved saving a few bucks that way. This was in a high cost of living area, Little Creek NAS. It was a high cost place to live specifically because with both of us working, we couldn't afford to eat 7 days a week there and still pay for my ex's flying lessons (which were worth it to him, and to me because he was so happy at finally getting flying lessons - - not something I resent at all).
The only thing I refuse to eat is roadkill. Even then I might be temped if it was my car that did the deed.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The only thing I refuse to eat is roadkill. Even then I might be temped if it was my car that did the deed.
Family lore has it that when my grandfather was a streetcar driver in PA, whenever he hit a rabbit he would stop the car, retrieve the rabbit, and bring it home for dinner. He lived to be 78.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I only knew of stewed rabbit in red wine, but just found this recipe without wine. It's called "Cocotte de découpe de lapin à la provençale". I guess I should have posted this in the Mediterranean retirement thread. What's the point of retiring in a foreign land if you do not try the local dishes?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

There appear to be certain parameters here that require addressing:

- What is the age of said rabbit?
- Sex of said rabbit?
- Weight, (fat or muscle)?
- Length of rabbit?
- (Pre death) Health of rabbit, or lack thereof?
- Free range or caged?
- Did the rabbit acquire a name? (Emotional impact on the diners.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

In Europe, at a Carrefour market, I saw a pile of rabbit halves, and you had the choice of the front or the rear halves. Recently, I saw frozen rabbit in a local market, but it was whole. My wife said she would not touch it, and I did not want to eat the whole thing, so did not buy. But I guess at some point, I will make the jump.
As a kid we had rabbits for a while - REWahoo is right - they are much like chicken, though I remember the haunches being meatier than chicken breast and moister as well. The gal is a huge fan of the candy Turtles he showed as well, and says in a younger broker time she had squirrel and suggests cooking it in Seven-Up. Having been around nutria I have zero desire to eat them, though they are vegetarians. Beautiful pelts though.

Anecdotal and off topic is almost all I do, but as Joe sings in Showboat, "I still suits me".
Old 01-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I understood the OP's point, I think it is very valid, and I really don't understand the negativity in some of the responses. haha already said what I was thinking (bold mine)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Like all your posts, this one is to the point, very useful, and clearly expressed.

I also do not see why is might matter what you consider inexpensive, or even if you ever give thought to costs.

Sometimes I read these "Where should I move, should I retire, how much money do I need, do I prefer chocolate or vanilla? posts and I wonder does this person expect useful answers?

From reading some of the responses above, I think many people must be looking for what we once called bull sessions. These are intended to use up time, provide some sort of entertainment to some participants, but not to be used.

Ha
That said, there can be value/entertainment in brainstorming type questions, and in thread-jacking (but that can be a little disrespectful if the OP is still trying to gather useful info, but I think it's great after the thread has sort of run its course). But I do oftentimes see where the poster appears to be looking for some useful info, and I really don't get what they expect to learn from what someone else does in that case. And if they do think they can learn from it, I think it is helpful to point out the issues the OldPro here has brought up. Otherwise, that person might be heading down a wrong path.

I think some took the "should" as telling others what to do. I took it as advice, maybe more gentle wording would be "To get the most useful answers, you could ask it in this way..." This is what was said in the last paragraph ("So a far better question to ask..."), and I think that was the intent all along.

So lighten up people!!! Wait, I guess that is too direct for some people? So let me suggest that perhaps taking this viewpoint might allow one to better appreciate the positive aspects regarding the OP's intent in their well intentioned post? Is that better? Do we really need to have our kid gloves on at the keyboard at all times?

-ERD50
Old 01-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
maybe more gentle wording would be "To get the most useful answers, you could ask it in this way..." This is what was said in the last paragraph ("So a far better question to ask..."), and I think that was the intent all along.
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If an inadequately defined question come up in a thread/post, none of us are under any obligation to reply...

It seems people who provide random answers to vague questions are equally guilty, you might have a 'suggestion' for them? I've seen more useless answer to good questions, than useless questions - and less of either here than the world-at-large thankfully. ...
In either case, isn't it helpful to try to point out why the question or answer might not be helpful or isn't really addressing the point? Why not try to help, rather than just ignore it?

Maybe I'm just very aware of this, as my BIL is infamous for asking me how to do something, and the question just seems a little out there, and any solutions might be very complicated and maybe expensive as well. So before I go into a long explanation, I have learned to stop and say "Instead of asking me how to do XYZ, please tell me what it is you are trying to accomplish."

Nine times out of ten, there is a simple, likely cost-free way to accomplish what he really wanted to do. But he already had his mind set on a certain path that was way out there.

So isn't it better to help him solve his problem, rather than just ignoring the problem and answering his question, which would cost him in time and $? And more helpful than just ignoring the whole thing or saying "I don't know how to do that".

-ERD50
Old 01-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I only knew of stewed rabbit in red wine, but just found this recipe without wine. It's called "Cocotte de découpe de lapin à la provençale". I guess I should have posted this in the Mediterranean retirement thread. What's the point of retiring in a foreign land if you do not try the local dishes?
I also saw whole frozen rabbit in a market a few years ago. I recall my great-Uncle talking about how much he loved the German dish "Hasenpfeffer", which I just thought was a rabbit stew (they raised rabbits in their garage in Chicago, 'back in the day'). So I bought one, but the recipe I found did not sound good. A lot of vinegar.

I had rabbit in a cream sauce at Bergoff's in Chicago years ago, and I loved it. Very delicate. So I tried a mustard-cream sauce, and I dunno, this rabbit tasted stronger, more like turkey, but not in such a good way (I like turkey). Not bad, but I won't cook it again, but I would order it at a restaurant.

-ERD50
Old 01-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I do think the OP has a good point. To use his example, I often hear people say X is an inexpensive place to live or where is an inexpensive place to live. The problem is that a lot of that depends on perception.

I remember once (several years ago) making a comment on a message board related to how selling and buying that we were listing our house for sale at close to $600,000. A rather dismissive poster, in response, made a comment about how how buyers wouldn't expect much from a starter home like that.

Well, where I live a 600k home was in the top 5% of home prices and was far from a starter home. He was from an area where 600k was a starter home. It was hard to have much of a conversation until the terms were defined for the situation (and locale).

I often see people here wondering if their budget of $X is "too" high or "too" low for ER, giving no indication of their portfolio or time horizon. So, to me, that is a question that is unanswerable. A better way to ask the question would be to say something about withdrawal rate and how long the money has to last.

Or, the person who has a multi-million dollar net worth and wonders if ER is in the cards. My first thought is, "quit now." My second thought is to wonder how much money they want to spend in ER and where they live. But, this info isn't always provided.

Yes, I as a responder can respond and ask for more info. But, the person posing the question would be better off if they were more specific in the first place.

(I think that some of the pushback to the OP is that a poster with a relatively small number of posts -- in comparison to many here -- may come across as trying to tell those of us who have been here awhile how we can do things better. I think that if the advice was coming from someone with 1000 posts there wouldn't be the pushback.)
Old 01-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Rabbit was a common menu item in Italian restaurants around Latin America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Family lore has it that when my grandfather was a streetcar driver in PA, whenever he hit a rabbit he would stop the car, retrieve the rabbit, and bring it home for dinner. He lived to be 78.
Now you know where you get your sense of thrift and practicality.
Closed Thread