Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Just to be clear...I do not advocate EATING the bunnies!
I though you and Dolly Freed did do the bunny thing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I though you and Dolly Freed did do the bunny thing.
I think maybe you are confusing it with the "possum thing".
Old 01-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

The first time DW came home to meet my parents Dad had a skinned rabbit soaking in the sink. DW thought rabbits came frozen, in boxes. Also, she never had to worry about shot pellets in her rabbit.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPro View Post
One of the biggest problems in determining if a place is inexpensive for you or not, is your personal needs. Again, looking at cost of living comparison websites may not be reliable. They compare the cost of living of the average resident who already lives there. The cost of living for someone who is used to living on rice will not be the same as the cost of living for someone who arrives and wants to live on steak.
The link I posted in the other thread seems to have a level benchmark for standard of living. Prices for several sizes and locations of apartments are used. Flush toilets, one and all!

Methodology and motivation for Numbeo.com
Old 01-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think maybe you are confusing it with the "possum thing".
The possum thing was how she lived. Bunnies is what she ate
Old 01-21-2016, 01:06 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, my bad. Guess I had her confused with these guys:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Posssum.jpg (111.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ding! Ding! Ding!

And hey, that's a cool link, thanks for posting--I missed it in the other thread.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
we were listing our house for sale at close to $600,000. A rather dismissive poster, in response, made a comment about how how buyers wouldn't expect much from a starter home like that.
Couple years ago we linked to some friends an ad for a tiny apartment we were about to book in Paris........she came back gushing that'd she found one soooooo much nicer.

It certainly was...and the cost was also 5 to 6 times higher than we intended to pay.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
... (I think that some of the pushback to the OP is that a poster with a relatively small number of posts -- in comparison to many here -- may come across as trying to tell those of us who have been here awhile how we can do things better. I think that if the advice was coming from someone with 1000 posts there wouldn't be the pushback.)
I sure don't think that way. I've seen some pretty impressive and informative first time posts, and my blathering sure ought to serve as a data point on the other side of things.

It's true you can sometimes get a better sense of where someone is coming from with some history, but I think we are all better off if we judge the post on the content, and not the count under the handle (darn, a few days late to paraphrase MLK on that one!).

-ERD50
Old 01-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I believe the issue is defining a minimum acceptable standard of living. Mine includes home ownership in a safe community, reliable utilities, clean water, a quality food supply including fresh vegetables, meats and fish, personal security, a democratic society and a clean environment.

And beer...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Those who grew up in the rural south during and just after the depression depended on rabbit, coon, possum, deer, squirrel, dove, quail, turkey and homegrown domestic animals for meat. There was no going to the grocery store for organic, all natural boneless skinless chicken breast filets. Ones idea of what is acceptable depends a lot on when and where they were born and grew up.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I only knew of stewed rabbit in red wine, but just found this recipe without wine. It's called "Cocotte de découpe de lapin à la provençale". I guess I should have posted this in the Mediterranean retirement thread. What's the point of retiring in a foreign land if you do not try the local dishes?

You know what would go really well with that? Wild hickory nuts, that's what.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Family lore has it that when my grandfather was a streetcar driver in PA, whenever he hit a rabbit he would stop the car, retrieve the rabbit, and bring it home for dinner. He lived to be 78.
Walt, can you explain what eating a "roadkill rabbit" has to do with living to 78?
Old 01-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You know what would go really well with that? Wild hickory nuts, that's what.
Wow, I'd bet not even chef Bocuse has thought of that.

And if one gathers her own wild nuts, that would help make Provence a tiny bit less expensive to retire to. Except that they do not have any hickory tree.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OK, my bad. Guess I had her confused with these guys:
Darn! I have heard of people going "whole hog", but "whole possum"? Wow!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Never had rabbit that I know of, though I'd be willing to try it.

Funny how our culture dictates what we eat, and what's undesirable - where other cultures routinely eat what we consider undesirable (and just as important, vice versa).

Can't we all just get along.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
A few words on 'Inexpensive place to live'
Old 01-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

A few words on 'Inexpensive place to live'

I've eaten rabbit with polenta, but the rabbit wasn't roadkill.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked at a fine dining Italian restaurant. One of my favorite appetizers (antipasti) was rabbit loin wrapped in pancetta and then grilled. Awesome.

I also had a friend from Pennsylvania (not sure which part) but she said they call squirrel "chicken of the tree." lol

Old Pro was on MMM about a year ago. Basically had the same spiel about living abroad which he has many valid points but he also has a very confrontational writing style and IMO is a one trick pony.

The thread hijack reminds me of a story from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Whenever they had a guest conductor they didn't mesh with, when it came to concert time they just ignored him. They were such a highly trained group they knew how to perform a piece without the guest conductor who was trying to shake things up. Perhaps it's a stretched analogy but it made me laugh.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK, I figure if you want the least expensive place to live, you could start with per capita income, since wealth is all relative. The most recent statistics I could find by Googling "Per Capita Income" went back to 2008.

Zimbabwe!! PCI=$200/ year. I QUADRUPLED that and ran it through all of the calculators I could find and came out to 100% chance of not running out of money if I lived to 250 years old.
So there you have it.

Zimbabwe. Go figure.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
I worked at a fine dining Italian restaurant. One of my favorite appetizers (antipasti) was rabbit loin wrapped in pancetta and then grilled. Awesome.
I'm now on the lookout for this. Sounds amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
I also had a friend from Pennsylvania (not sure which part) but she said they call squirrel "chicken of the tree." lol
Brewer has used that term here on the forum.
Closed Thread