A Major Epiphany

I took Friday off. Went to DS college graduation. Great time, and one more financial box checked off the list.

Interestingly, when I arrived at w**k today, a vacation request for one of my managers was on my desk - for the entire month of December.

I took Friday off. Went to DS college graduation. Great time, and one more financial box checked off the list.

Interestingly, when I arrived at w**k today, a vacation request for one of my managers was on my desk - for the entire month of December.
When I was in a manager of manager position, there was always an agreement reached on taking time off over the traditional holidays. There had to be enough management depth to provide what would be considered an acceptable level of coverage. The thought of someone suddenly requesting all of December off in November would have never occurred to us.

Maybe he's planning on retiring next year and doesn't want to leave PTO on the table either. :cool:

Just look at this way. As a senior manager, distributing a pot of bonus money, why would you reward someone who is leaving/retiring when you can give it to someone who is staying. You will get far more mileage by doing the latter.

Say nothing, not a peep until the bonus is in your account. Keep you ear to the ground and before you announce you retirement do so checking to see if a layoff is possible.

I don't plan on even giving them a HINT that I'm leaving until the bonus hits the bank. In the dictionary, under the term "penurious", it says "see XYZMegacorp".

Under normal circumstances (ie., as recently as 6 months ago) I would give significant notice in order for them to find a replacement. The new president (who I report to) is not trustworthy enough, and is vindictive enough, that I strongly believe it would be a mistake. Soooo.... they get the minimum 2 weeks notice.

The hardest part of the next couple months will be smiling and nodding convincingly at the appropriate times.

We must be working for the same boss. Good luck with your ER and keep us posted on how it goes. Are you going with COBRA or ACA? If I quit, I think I will go with COBRA until ACA gets their act together.

Just look at this way. As a senior manager, distributing a pot of bonus money, why would you reward someone who is leaving/retiring when you can give it to someone who is staying. You will get far more mileage by doing the latter.

Say nothing, not a peep until the bonus is in your account. Keep you ear to the ground and before you announce you retirement do so checking to see if a layoff is possible.

Back in 2002 when I lost the job where I thought I was "important," my termination occurred just before bonus time. Even though the bonus was a significant part of our compensation, getting rid of me just before then let them pocket what we would have otherwise received. Maybe they distributed it to others but I doubt it. I didn't hear from anyone about their really big bonus but maybe they were just being considerate.

Back in 2002 when I lost the job where I thought I was "important," my termination occurred just before bonus time. Even though the bonus was a significant part of our compensation, getting rid of me just before then let them pocket what we would have otherwise received. Maybe they distributed it to others but I doubt it. I didn't hear from anyone about their really big bonus but maybe they were just being considerate.

I have been in management at megacorp for 1.5 decades now. Early in my career, I didn't hesitate to give departing & deserving employees their bonus. But my VPs & HRs looked at me like I was crazy - that was my epiphany. Now, I just "coach" the deserving employees to hang around until the expected bonus payout date if they are planning to quit. Bonus should be given for past excellence and productivity. Cutting it out just b/c they found a greener pasture (or laid off) is unethical IMO.

OTOH, if one has not been pulling his/her weight, withdrawing bonus is well justified. It goes both ways.

Last edited:
2B- Had a conversation with the manager who requested the month of vacation. He's the one I have been grooming to replace me when I leave. It started of with him simply saying that he had X days of unused vacation and didn't want to lose it, but then we got to the meat of the matter - he's miserable under the new management and considering other options.

I told him I appreciated his honesty, that the conversation would remain between the two of us, and, as a friend, suggested that he consider staying at least through the bonus period (unless something spectacular became available) for two reasons - the bonus, and something might change for the better. I asked him if a promotion would change his mind, and the answer was not only no, but H*** no - he wants to have as little contact with the new president a s humanly possible. Damn. He was the best option to replace me.

For the record, if he stays through until the bonus, I will STILL recommend him for the highest bonus he can get. He has always stepped up to the plate and, to my mind, more than earned it.

Last edited:
Shouldn't bonuses be awarded for meeting certain criteria, and not left to some fuzzy "he did a good job"?

They should be, and in theory, they are......but somehow, theory doesn't always meet practice.

In this case, it's not a fuzzy "he did a good job" - he has met and exceeded all performance criteria, and his work has contributed significantly to the corporate bottom line.

Back
Top Bottom