A new book on post-retirement life

Ed_The_Gypsy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Found this on Yahoo yesterday.

Real-Life Retirement Advice From Savvy 90-Year-OldÂ*|Â*Buck Wargo

Another warning that life in retirement is different and we should take care to be prepared for the changes to avoid disappointment and misery. Such things are well-known to old-timers here, but oh, so many are just discovering them as they approach or enter retirement.

I see bits of people I know in the review. It rings true.

Thanks Ed, very interesting. This board seems to get all this stuff right. Yesterday I was reflecting on how much better than average exercisers we are. The habit of living a disciplined life gets into so many areas.

Ha

Wow, that is a depressing article! I'm glad I read it AFTER several years of retirement, instead of before. :D

Luckily I'm not broke, sick, alone, or depressed, some of the conditions he ascribes to many retired folks. What misery! In contrast, I have never been happier than in retirement. I am far from alone, well provided for financially, and exercise much more than when working. My doctor says that I am very healthy for my age, other than needing to drop a few pounds. I don't think my overweight has the slightest thing to do with being retired. Instead of saying, "one third of older Americans are overweight", I think the author of this article could have said, "amazingly, two thirds of older Americans are NOT overweight at all!". Glass half full.

I pay attention to my driving and practice at least 4 days/week, either running errands or on pleasure drives. I am already thinking of how to stop driving before I become a menace on the roads.

Last edited:
I think we need to remember the sources of bias in the author's writting. He was a clinical psychologist and is relaying his experience which includes patients. A priori, these people had problems or they wouldn't be seeing him. Not to take anything away from being prepared for retirement mentally, physically, as well as financially; I don't see it as doom and gloom.

IMO everything has bias, why else write a book? This site is hugely biased, especially since people who cannot at least reasonably aspire to making a go of retirement will quickly drop out.

Unless we think this author is lying, or that he is directly and erroneously addressing us, I don't see any reason to discredit what he has to say just because it does not fit our own self images.

Again take exercise. A recent survey ( don't remember the citation) found that 25% or Americans do not take any exercise. They do not even a walk a dog, or walk to pick up some groceries, or walk to church on Sunday. Nada, nothing. Now this survey did not do age breakdowns, but I would guess that more than a proportionate share of these non-movers were retired if only because on average, retired people are older than average workers, and age brings more discomfort, again on average, not every individual. I was no longer living at home when my Dad or Mom retired, but we lived in a quality high walking urban neighborhood, and whenever I was around I never noticed anybody much walking other than my parents and much younger people- university students for the most part. Retired people who are very active as they age are always around, but almost never common. Walking golfers are high achievers, as are people who make walking a hobby. Like really long intercity walks

My same age friend that I have known since we were on high school teams together, then college roommates, and most recently regular lunch companions is now comatose in a hospital secondary to a surgical mishap. But really secondary to his sedentary life. He is retired, he has plenty money, he has a devoted wife, he has many friends and colleagues, he is an upper middle class PhD holder but he still is lying in a coma from which he may well not recover. He has gained at least 50 pounds since college, is diabetic, and from my pov has had extremely poor but by the ADA book care. He just had to spin the medical roulette wheel too often to do better than the averages, and the averages of by the book diabetes care are not attractive. The life of a typical diabetic passively following instructions often is a dispiriting downward spiral of losing appendages or functions, until something happens or he loses a function that he cannot live without.

He thought I was crazy to be always walking around town, adding ballast to my pack, rowing my Concept 2, or going to a gym. And he was a much better athlete than I ever could have hoped to be.

I'd say that there are likely several examples of failing at retirement on one or more dimensions among almost every older person's friends or neighbors or relatives, and of all the ways to fail it may be that not taking care of one's physical exercise and nutrition is one of the most important ways, or even the most important way to fail.

Over and over again it has been shown that some movement of any kind, at whatever frequency or intensity one desires, is more than half the battle. This is one more area where to get hung up on achieving the perfect is certainly the enemy of the good. Ironically, about exercise no one even knows what is better, let alone best, though all kinds of people assure us that they do in fact know.

Ha

Last edited:
Ha, very insightful post as usual. I would just like to add that I get a lot out of this forum more than just financial insight. Reading about all the interesting activities forum members are engaged in, and travels, their thoughts, etc. I think help a lot of people, myself included, keep a positive outlook on retirement, and what a happy retirement can and should be. I really enjoy hearing all that people here are thinking, doing, travels, reading, exercising, etc. One of the reasons I think that people on this forum have a better outlook on retirement is reading all that other retirees are sharing here.

Again take exercise. A recent survey ( don't remember the citation) found that 25% or Americans do not take any exercise. They do not even a walk a dog, or walk to pick up some groceries, or walk to church on Sunday. Nada, nothing. ...

Ha, I was shocked enough at that survey that I tracked down the questions earlier this week. I think your two examples of [albeit minimal] exercise would have been excluded. There was a list of 104 options that you could check and the categories were fairly tightly constrained. "Walking for Fitness" and "hiking (day)" were included, but not "walking."

Possible that the results were exaggerated by the study design--although the gist of the reports are valid, I think.

Ha, I was shocked enough at that survey that I tracked down the questions earlier this week. I think your two examples of [albeit minimal] exercise would have been excluded. There was a list of 104 options that you could check and the categories were fairly tightly constrained. "Walking for Fitness" and "hiking (day)" were included, but not "walking."

Possible that the results were exaggerated by the study design--although the gist of the reports are valid, I think.
Thanks 2017, I did not look beyond the news article.

Ha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom