Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The silver lining here is that rock for your driveway should be cheap, eventually your grandkids will have a killer place for skinny dipping, and before an abandoned quarry fills with water it makes a wonderful place for shooting your large bore pistols and rifles.

I hope it works out OK for you in the meantime.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about that Wahoo.

I have lived at the end of a major airport's runway and I was surprised how quickly I learned to ignore the noise from the airplanes passing overhead.

I now live near a military arsenal and they often test rocket engines. This results in frequent shockwaves shaking our windows and, on occasion, even shaking the entire house. We got used to that pretty quickly as well and barely notice anymore.

So maybe it won't be as bad as you might expect...

Old 09-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
So maybe it won't be as bad as you might expect...
Are you channeling my dear departed mom?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Are you channeling my dear departed mom?
Mothers know best...
Old 09-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

"I reckon it's time for a good ol' fashioned lynchin'."

....now I didn't come up with that...I'm sure it's been said in a movie...
Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm sorry it looks like the rock quarry will become a reality. Hopefully all your efforts have had some impact on how it will be built and operated.

A number of years ago I lived in Spokane in an apartment behind one of the hospitals and up the hill a bit from it. Well the first night I learned that damn life flight helicopter took off and came back at all times of the night. I thought I would go crazy or have to move. A couple weeks went by and I stopped waking up every time it took off or landed. It is really amazing what one can get used to.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Doesn't Texas have any endangered species? Maybe a rare and endangered scorpion or chigger? Wouldn't it be possible for you and some associates to "find" a rare black-footed ferret on the proposed site of all this blasting and heavy vehicular activity? That would bring the feds in, and you'd have nothing else to worry about. That whole quarry idea would go right out the window--they'd be lucky to even be able to keep operating a ranch.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Doesn't Texas have any endangered species? Maybe a rare and endangered scorpion or chigger? Wouldn't it be possible for you and some associates to "find" a rare black-footed ferret on the proposed site of all this blasting and heavy vehicular activity? That would bring the feds in, and you'd have nothing else to worry about. That whole quarry idea would go right out the window--they'd be lucky to even be able to keep operating a ranch.
We investigated this avenue of opposition. "Discoveries" as you describe are met with a great deal of skepticism unless you know the right people. We don't.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Naw, Texas would just need to add another hunting season...

REW, what will REALLY happen when they start digging that quarry, is some little guys with electrolux vacuum cleaners will take offense. It must be real, I saw it on Superman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg molemen.jpg (34.4 KB, 117 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #90

It sounds like it is out of sight, and although I expect 0.6 miles and a ridge will not keep out the sounds, it may not be that bad, and you will almost certainly get used to it.

In his final year at College our son rented an apartment just 20 yards from a rail crossing. We helped him move in and that first weekend sleeping there we were rocketed bolt upright in bed, heart pounding, every time a train came through. Towards the end of his degree he was struggling with clinical depression so DW went up to help him get to classes on time, do his assigned work and provide support. She said that within a week she wasn't waking up at all when those trains rolled through with their ear-splitting horns blaring. I went up for graduation weekend (6 weeks after her), and to move him out - I couldn't believe how she was sleeping through the noise!!

At least it should not be smelly. We've lived within 10 miles of a paper mill and when the wind was in the wrong direction the smell was awful, and we never got used to that, even after 15 years.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #91
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It sounds like it is out of sight, and although I expect 0.6 miles and a ridge will not keep out the sounds, it may not be that bad, and you will almost certainly get used to it.

In his final year at College our son rented an apartment just 20 yards from a rail crossing. We helped him move in and that first weekend sleeping there we were rocketed bolt upright in bed, heart pounding, every time a train came through. Towards the end of his degree he was struggling with clinical depression so DW went up to help him get to classes on time, do his assigned work and provide support. She said that within a week she wasn't waking up at all when those trains rolled through with their ear-splitting horns blaring. I went up for graduation weekend (6 weeks after her), and to move him out - I couldn't believe how she was sleeping through the noise!!

At least it should not be smelly. We've lived within 10 miles of a paper mill and when the wind was in the wrong direction the smell was awful, and we never got used to that, even after 15 years.
The paper mill experience sounds dreadful. Paper mills emit a particularly noxious odor, it seems to me.

The apartment that I rented for a couple of years before buying this house, was right next to the railroad tracks in River Ridge, Louisiana. I am sure it was as close to the tracks as was legally allowed - - perhaps 10 yards or less. The trains did not bother me at all. Of course, I would partially awaken but would then drift off happily to sleep before the train had completely passed. To me, the sound of trains passing by is soothing and peaceful and even their whistles don't bother me much. Guests were usually quite alarmed.

On the other hand, I am very sensitive to inconsiderate noise - - I have a hard time with noise from upstairs or next door neighbors, or any music at all that is not mine. I would imagine that for REWahoo, the sounds of the quarry would fall into this category.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #92

Quote:
Yeah, I hear you: stop complaining REW, it could be worse...

I went to college in a town 20 miles north of a paper mill. Winter weather in that part of the world was often damp and foggy - the fumes from the mill clung to the ground. Add in a slight wind from the south and the odor on campus was so strong it would literally burn the lining of your sinuses.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I went to college in a town 20 miles north of a paper mill. Winter weather in that part of the world was often damp and foggy - the fumes from the mill clung to the ground. Add in a slight wind from the south and the odor on campus was so strong it would literally burn the lining of your sinuses.
The IP mill in Navasota?

Ha
Old 09-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
0.6 miles, you say? Hmmm...

REWahoo, have you ever considered the exciting hobby of Amateur Radio? Say, trying for long distance communications in the 15 meter (21 MHz) band with a 1500 watt transmitter and a nice directional antenna?

Gosh, if you'd invested in this hobby and were an active participant in the amateur community before the quarry went into operation, well, golly...

http://www.nclabor.com/osha/etta/indguide/ig11.pdf

(See Table 2...)
Old 09-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #95

Quote:
Yeah, I hear you: stop complaining REW, it could be worse...

Just trying to cheer you up on this Holiday Weekend.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

It is a bummer, REW, and I understand how you feel. Sorry it's not turning out better yet.

Many of these things turn out to be not as bad as one expects. Of course, I said that to myself when that neighbor with the dogs moved in...
Old 09-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

REWahoo, have you ever considered the exciting hobby of Amateur Radio? Say, trying for long distance communications in the 15 meter (21 MHz) band with a 1500 watt transmitter and a nice directional antenna?
Brilliant. For good measure, ensure that a pair of endangered egrets or spotted owls build a nest on your antenna (If Disney can do an animatronic Abe Lincoln, an animatronic mommy owl and owletts should be no trouble to whip up. Convincing at a distance). Icing on the cake--develop a record of community service with the HF rig, (establishing links to disaster sites, etc).

That crusher and those trucks are gonna cause a lot of dust, surely enough to aggravate any existing respiratory conditions. It would be good if the neighbors got any such health problems on record now, with letters to the quarry operators and any insurers who are on record as covering the place. Just so everyone can estimate what the cost of doing business might be.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #98

Quote:

Gosh, if you'd invested in this hobby and were an active participant in the amateur community before the quarry went into operation, well, golly...

http://www.nclabor.com/osha/etta/indguide/ig11.pdf

(See Table 2...)
The term 'fortuitous' comes to mind.

One of my neighbors recently got his ham radio license. His property borders the ranch and is within a half mile of ground zero the quarry site. I'm going to forward your information to him.

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm extremely impressed.

Could that directional transmitter have a depression angle and a reflector to get it over the ridge down into the quarry?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Could that directional transmitter have a depression angle and a reflector to get it over the ridge down into the quarry?
Diffraction is our friend. With a nice high gain antenna, pointed at a ridge top, I'm confident the signal level on the other side of a ridge would be as high as, if not higher than what we could see from an omnidirectional antenna on a flat plain. 15 meters is a wavelength long enough to diffract fairly well over a 'rounded obstacle' like a ridge top.