Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Plan? What Plan? I don't need no stinking Plan!

Well, not exactly plan free....but not exactly as we planned so far.

Year One....bought a RV and sold it 6 months later to get a bigger one.
Fixed up house for resale...
Traveled coast to coast over a 3 month trip.
Got two puppies
Remodeled more of the house prior to putting on the market due to market conditions and competition
Sold house before we completed downsizing.
Moved 300 miles South.

Early in Year Two...spend a few hours a week doing yard work and cleaning the pool.
Still downsizing our stuff so I can get my car in the garage someday.
Still working with moving company about damages during the move.
Took a trip to the Oregon coast in between DW's doctor visits.
Have had company 5 times since June....with Winter coming I can see more company making reservations.
Planning our trip back East early next year.
Planning our trip to Ireland in two years.
Still organizing our stuff into a much smaller house.

And we have not even started on our "plans" yet.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Still downsizing our stuff so I can get my car in the garage someday.
So that's what those buildings are for....huh, who woulda thunk?! I always thought they were just 'above ground' basements where you stuck everything that wouldn't fit somewhere else. I have to admit though, that I did have my van in my garage when I was customizing it.....in 1977! That's the last time a 4-wheel vehicle was ever in there....'cept for the riding lawnmower right after I got it (now it's in the garden shed).

Actually I converted the garage into my workshop, and some of it also double as storage space for seasonal stuff....garden containers & decorations & accessories, window A/C's, Christmas decorations, bicycles, etc.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Can you actually transform from a type A personality to an easy going lifestyle in retirement? I sure hope so...
I think it's more of a 12-step process, with awareness being the first...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #24

I didn't have a plan either, except for the first time in my life - no plan. We moved from just north of Washington, DC and the insane, insufferable traffic there to West Virginia, where a "traffic jam" is three cars backed up at the stop sign. Well, it's not quite that good but close enough. Sold the house there and wrote a check for a nicer place than either one of us thought we'd ever live in.

It took three or four years to decompress from 29 years in law enforcement. Spent a lot of time on the screened-in back porch watching a creek, and I'm grateful that I can still walk across the room and get myself a glass of water because I know several who can't, or do so with difficulty. Wanting something to do but not wanting to commit to a job, I helped a friend build an airplane to completion and saw the first flight. Bought a small fishing boat and found that while I like that, I'm not one who can spend all day, every day, fishing. Completely lost interest in radio control model airplanes, a hobby I'd enjoyed for almost 20 years. Maybe I just reached my plateau with it, I don't really know.

DW loves having all the free time she wants to spend with family an easy 35-minute drive away and is taking classes to finish her BA that she started 20 years ago. I finally got bored and started looking for a job, both to get out more and find some extra play money. Tried selling cars and found that while I have many talents, sales is not one of them.

Finally found a job that I thought was going to be part time but has morphed into full time for now, and that's OK for now. Initially thought it was going to be a good place to be but am now learning that the permanent employees are feeling threatened by the contractors (me and some others) so there's some discontent emerging. So I may develop an "attitude problem" soon. Hey, all I did was answer an ad, qualified for it, and I'm there.

Have pretty much decided to buy a motorcycle before next spring and do something both fun and foolish. Like investing, in life there is the risk/reward ratio to consider.

Dealing with an infirm FIL who can no longer deal with the complexities of keeping up the house where he's lived for the past 35 years, fixing up that to sell and get him into a place he can afford and will get the assistance he's going to need very soon. Hopefully we'll have that done before spring. He's 83 and I think he's got maybe three years, tops, left.

So, kind of just cruising through life and see what happens next for now.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #25

Walt, did you ever get the travel trailer? That was one of your "plans" for going back to work PT, wasn't it? What models do you have in mind? I'm still looking, and still undecided on TT or MoHo.

R
Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
you'll need a life coach, an aggressive POA&M....
Nords,

Is the term "POA&M" unique the the Navy? (I personally never heard it anywhere else).

For anyone who is wondering, it means "Plan of action and milestones".

Haven't heard/seen that term for 10+ years.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So Harley, are you (were you) a type A? I am (vacations planned to the minute, who's bringing what foods and what amounts when we vacation with other families...alll planned, etc). But, I want to slow down in retirement. I want to wake up in the morning and be able to decide what I want to do that day, whether it is a day trip or a week trip, or just putter (longer trips do require a bit more planning, but even then I want to keep the initial plans high level so they can be changed with minimum notice or hassle). I dream of hiking, kayaking and camping...because I like doing them, but I also think they will help me to be more healthy. I haven't actually gotten to making a list of things to do yet, but I will. I will force myself to limit the structure and deadlines, taking my time at each of them.

Can you actually transform from a type A personality to an easy going lifestyle in retirement? I sure hope so...
R
Sorry for the low response, I went out of town for a fantasy football draft.

No, never been a type A. My planning is usually limited to which airport we land in, and wing it from there. My idea of finding a place is a slowly tightening spiral in my car until I find it. Luckily, DW has the patience of a saint, or maybe she's just learned to put up with me by now. However, I am a bit of a compulsive list maker. The reason I have for my retirement list is an article I read many years ago, where they said that if you couldn't name 10 things you would do in retirement off the top of your head you probably shouldn't RE. I had no problem hitting 10.

I think you maybe can become something other than type A if you really want to. However, I've found that most people are pretty happy the way they are and don't want to change. I'll stick with INTP/Sagittarius. I like me, whether anyone else does or not.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:35 AM   #28

Thanks Harley, I like me, most of the time. I don't like it when I stress about being a certain place at a certain time...all day long, all vacation long. I actually have done better the past two vacations (usually go on 4 per year due to the need to get back to the states...its complicated) than usual. I just want/need to learn to take it slow and enjoy it.

R
Old 09-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Walt, did you ever get the travel trailer? That was one of your "plans" for going back to work PT, wasn't it? What models do you have in mind? I'm still looking, and still undecided on TT or MoHo.

R
I haven't bought the travel trailer yet but have not eliminated the idea either. The crisis with the FIL has pushed most other immediate concerns to the back burner, since there is a clock ticking on how long he can stay where he is before we and one other SIL have to begin either paying his bills or move him in with us or SIL. That solution will probably not be good for anyone. Since last spring we've been spending most of our free time working on his house.

As for a TT model, I like the Fun Finder 21 foot, but DW has very little enthusiasm for the idea so I'm not sure how that's going to pan out. It wouldn't be much fun solo and no one likes being "dragged" on a vacation. Thought about a MoHo, but that's another vehicle to insure and maintain, whereas the TT has mostly wheels, suspension and towing components that are critical so it's a lot cheaper to buy/maintain.

So instead of the TT I may end up with just the motorcycle.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Nords,
Is the term "POA&M" unique the the Navy? (I personally never heard it anywhere else).
For anyone who is wondering, it means "Plan of action and milestones".
Haven't heard/seen that term for 10+ years.
I'll bet we're both missing the good ol' days of "Total Quality Leadership"* too!

The "My Next Phase" guys take a tough-love approach that reminds me of being in shipyard, where entire paragraphs would be spoken in acronyms.

* (No, if you haven't heard the term then don't Google it. You really don't want to know what we were doing with your taxpayer dollars for over a decade.)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

What the heck is this "My Next Phase" nightmare you keep referring to Nords? I did peek at their website, but it required too much drilling down to figure anything out.

Audrey
Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
What the heck is this "My Next Phase" nightmare you keep referring to Nords? I did peek at their website, but it required too much drilling down to figure anything out.
Audrey
I took a trial subscription to their e-mails.

It's sort of like asking Suze Orman "Can I afford it?" or Dave Ramsey "Should I get a mortgage?" Next Phase assesses your personality type and lectures counsels your retirement style accordingly. Most of the e-mails start along the lines of "Bob looked forward to a retirement filled with golfing and the beach, but he didn't have a clue". The OP's comment about "having a plan" reminded me of those admonishments.

Oh, wait, this was still in my trash folder:
Quote:
Plan to Connect
If you're the first in your non-work network of friends to retire, it can be a double-whammy deficit: no one at work, and no one in the neighborhood to spend meaningful time with. (If your spouse or partner is still working, make that a triple whammy.)

A My Next Phase client hell-bent on a golf-centric retirement learned this the hard way. He consistently failed to get a weekday foursome of friends to shoot 18, and resented being appended to otherwise well-acquainted threesomes as (in his mind) the unwanted wheel. It made golf miserable, enough that he even called it quits for a while.

A number of My Next Phase clients have decided to keep working, or even to return to work, after realizing how career's social aspects amplified the value of their paychecks. Others have made plans to connect to new networks rich with shared interests, or to test drive volunteerism to make new friends.

Whatever path you take to staying connected, make sure it's one that suits your personality, is consistent with what you already enjoy doing, and/or acknowledges what you'd like to explore in retirement.
While they undoubtedly provide a service to someone, I feel that it's a patronizing approach.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

OMG! That poor guy and his golfing nightmare! Geez - you'd think the obvious solution was to find NEW PEOPLE to golf with! Surely he's not the only retired golfer in his immediate community?

Yep - sounds pretty patronizing. I guess like with Suze Orman or Dave Ramsey, some people need the paternalistic approach.

Audrey
Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #34

I'm not 'retired', and will never be 'retired' until after my untimely death, whenever that may be. However, I'm living the entrepreneurial lifestyle, which is certainly different (and better) than being employed. The best thing is being able to pursue my own standards for what constitutes excellence rather than being forced to adopt the perverse and twisted standards of whatever organization I'm enslaved to. That said, it would be nice if one of my foolish schemes starts making a little money someday (no rush required on that).
Old 09-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'll bet we're both missing the good ol' days of "Total Quality Leadership"* too!....

* (No, if you haven't heard the term then don't Google it. You really don't want to know what we were doing with your taxpayer dollars for over a decade.)
Hate to correct you, Nords. But the Navy implementation of TQM was called "Total Quality Leadership. IIRC, it was under ADM Kelso's watch that that became the big deal. Yeah, and I can't tell you how much I miss all the meetings talking about how we would do it.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #36

Hey Nords - methinks you've had experience in that 'awareness' to let go of the Type A - especially after describing the nuerosis of your submarine days :-) However, surfing and ponytails might just be a facade.....