Join Early Retirement Today

A Reminder Of How Great FIRE Is
Old 05-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A Reminder Of How Great FIRE Is

I've been retired almost two years. This morning I had an early doctor's appointment that required me to wake up to the alarm clock for the first time in many, many months. Man, I can't believe how awful that felt! That's without even considering the horror of getting on I-95 during the morning rush hour. I can hardly believe that I did that routine for 32 years. I kept looking at those poor folks next to me in the bumper to bumper traffic and thinking "do you realize there is a way you can stop doing this at an early age?".

If I needed a reminder of how much better FIRE'd life is than working, I sure got it today.

Grumpy

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: A Reminder Of How Great FIRE Is
Old 05-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #2

I usually think of the same thing when I have an early flight to catch to the Airport for a Vacation. 8) Although, waking up to the alarm is failrly painless when you're going someplace exciting. But the rush hour traffic thing, I avoid at most all costs. I Never leave the house between 3-6 pm
Old 05-25-2006, 09:40 AM   #3

Yeh, it's been only 15 months and i'm feeling the same way reading this thread at home at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
Yeh, it's been only 15 months and i'm feeling the same way reading this thread at home at 10:40 AM.
You know, it's strange. I feel the same way when I waste an hour on the forums while I'm at home or at work. One I'm getting paid for, and the other is on my time.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I Never leave the house between 3-6 pm
In light of some of your posts during that time frame, I'm betting the reason you stay at home has more to do with avoiding a DUI charge that avoiding traffic.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
I've been retired almost two years. This morning I had an early doctor's appointment that required me to wake up to the alarm clock for the first time in many, many months. Man, I can't believe how awful that felt! That's without even considering the horror of getting on I-95 during the morning rush hour. I can hardly believe that I did that routine for 32 years. I kept looking at those poor folks next to me in the bumper to bumper traffic and thinking "do you realize there is a way you can stop doing this at an early age?".

If I needed a reminder of how much better FIRE'd life is than working, I sure got it today.

Grumpy
Well, if the said bumper-to-bumper traffic was formed with a throng of Bimmers, Lexuses, and MBs, then, yeah, RE is going to be far far off for these folks. I can get trying to impress people with cars. I did at one time, but then again, I was a dumbass of 25 at the time. Don't people outgrow this phase sooner or later?
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #7

I can get trying to impress people with cars. I did at one time, but then again, I was a dumbass of 25 at the time. Don't people outgrow this phase sooner or later?

Back when I was 23 and finished up with college, and had (I thought at the time) a good paying job on the horizon, I went through a short phase when I wanted to blow a lot of money on a car. This was 1993, about the time compact SUVs were really hitting the mainstream. It would still be a few years before 4-door standard sized models like the Yukon and Expedition would explode the big market, but the small ones like the Pathfinder, Grand Cherokee, Explorer, Rodeo, 4Runner, etc were really hot at the time.

But the reality did hit me. Any one of these things would have cost me $25K or more, yet at the same time get about the same fuel economy as the '68 Dart I was driving at the time. And with perhapsh the exception of a Grand Cherokee with a 318 Magnum, none of 'em would've been as fast, either.

Looking back I'm SOOOO glad I didn't bother to sign up for 5 years of payments on a new vehicle at that tender young age. For one thing, it would've probably put off my buying my condo for a few years, and that would've probably led to other financial repercussions further down the road, which in turn would probably leave me less well-off now.

That being said, I drove to work today in a 21 year old Chevy Silverado with some rust in the rockers and a big stripe down the passenger side from where someone scraped up against it, and gave up more paint than they took. And I didn't CARE what anyone thought!! Although oddly, that truck gets alot of compliments for some reason...people think it's cool. :
Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
This morning I had an early doctor's appointment that required me to wake up to the alarm clock for the first time in many, many months.* Man, I can't believe how awful that felt!* That's without even considering the horror of getting on I-95 during the morning rush hour.
I don't know if there's a doctor in the world worth rush hour... unless you're doing it in an ambulance.

I don't even go surfing before 8 AM. Doctor's appointments and other mandatory musters are for the afternoons when the onshore breeze has chopped up the waves.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Damn you forward looking, retirment planning, financially savvy people! Received 2 tickets last week (no seat belt on wife and crossing double yellow lines to get into the carpool lane). To top it off, the car battery just died so I have to find a way to an auto parts store. Even though I'm a student, I've been sitting in traffic for 4 days each week for the past 3.5 years. When I read threads like these, I wonder how anyone can NOT be planning for ER.
&quot;The one who creates does not wait for an opportunity, blaming circumstances, the fates, and the gods.&nbsp; He seizes opportunities or creates them with the magic wand of his will, effort, and searching discrimination&quot;<br />-Yogananda
veritasophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritasophia
Damn you forward looking, retirment planning, financially savvy people!
As I started reading this, I immediately flashed to "The Poster's Statement of Limited Liability" I've been considering using on the forum:

This post may contain forward-looking statements that reflect the posterís current assumptions and estimates of future performance and economic conditions, which are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond the posterís control. All statements other than statements of historical facts included in this post, including those regarding the posterís strategy, future operations, financial position, estimated revenues, projected costs, projections, prospects, plans and objectives, are forward-looking statements. When used in this post, the words "believes," "anticipates," "plans," "expects," "intends," "estimates", "wagers", "bets" or similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements, although not all forward-looking statements contain such identifying words. All forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of this post. Although the poster believes that his/her plans, intentions and expectations reflected in or suggested by the forward-looking statements made in this post are reasonable, such plans, intentions or expectations may not be achieved.

Too bad it's too long to fit in my signature.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
As I started reading this, I immediately flashed to "The Poster's Statement of Limited Liability" I've been considering using on the forum:

This post may contain forward-looking statements that reflect the posterís current assumptions and estimates of future performance and economic conditions, which are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond the posterís control. All statements other than statements of historical facts included in this post, including those regarding the posterís strategy, future operations, financial position, estimated revenues, projected costs, projections, prospects, plans and objectives, are forward-looking statements. When used in this post, the words "believes," "anticipates," "plans," "expects," "intends," "estimates", "wagers", "bets" or similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements, although not all forward-looking statements contain such identifying words. All forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of this post. Although the poster believes that his/her plans, intentions and expectations reflected in or suggested by the forward-looking statements made in this post are reasonable, such plans, intentions or expectations may not be achieved.

OK. Now I know you were a lawyer in your previous life.

I appreciate good CYA any day.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:38 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Alarm went off at 5:30 this morning, sat in 50 minutes of traffice to get 12 miles, sick but still here because I have to get 7 security accreditation packages out in a week. And the most obnoxious guy is moving in next to me, has only one volume: 11! I did some research on some noise cancelling headphones today.

I'm just glad I get a lot of days off.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:59 PM   #13

worrying about mom i had trouble sleeping last night. finally fell asleep at about 6 in the a.m. woke up about an hour ago. just now having my protein shake breakfast at the computer at 3 in the afternoon. i'll have some lunch after the evening news and then head to the gym which should be clearing out by then.

a morning at the doctor's office? there's an appointment i would have missed.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

Dang! How about this instead:

If you follow my suggestions and they fail it is not my fault and you are on your own.

OR

Be a grownup and do your own research before you take anybody's advice.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Dang! How about this instead:

If you follow my suggestions and they fail it is not my fault and you are on your own.

OR

Be a grownup and do your own research before you take anybody's advice.
SteveR, it's very fortunate you didn't choose a career in law. Since the legal profession bills by the hour, you would have starved to death with those directly to the point, straightforward, clearly understood inadequately worded efforts.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Grumpy - don't you live in the DC suburbs? How can you even think about going out in that traffic at rush hour :P

After 4 weeks of ER (has it been that long already) I went into downtown Baltimore to meet with some coworkers for lunch. I allowed at least 1-1/4 hours to get there (the normal commute time) but because I went at 10:30 a.m. it took me only a little over an hour. Wow, the difference in non-rush hour traffic! I really miss my coworkers, but not all the stuff they are dealing with these days.

CJ
Old 05-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Grumpy - don't you live in the DC suburbs? How can you even think about going out in that traffic at rush hour

CJ
CJ,

Yep. I normally don't go anywhere between 7 and 10 am or between 3 and 7 pm just to avoid the horrible D.C. area traffic. In this case it was take an 8:15 am Dr's appointment or wait a few weeks for a more congenial time. I will now return to my normal slothful ways.

Grumpy
Old 05-25-2006, 09:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
After 4 weeks of ER (has it been that long already) I went into downtown Baltimore to meet with some coworkers for lunch.* I allowed at least 1-1/4 hours to get there (the normal commute time) but because I went at 10:30 a.m. it took me only a little over an hour.* Wow, the difference in non-rush hour traffic!* I really miss my coworkers, but not all the stuff they are dealing with these days.

CJ
After almost 4 weeks of being retired myself, I have had zero inclination to contact the office or anyone working in it. Either I was just ready for a very clean, very final exit, or a relocation across international borders to the place of retirement has kept me so busy, I really have had no time to even think of the job, the office, or the people.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:52 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Well.......I've been retired for 9 weeks today. I've got to say it's taken some getting used to after 37 years of the same old grind.....almost a guilty feeling. Really stange.
Don't get me wrong.....I'm not complaining. I don't have headaches anymore,.....my blood pressure has dropped 15 points.....lost 10 pounds.....I'm sleeping good...and my back isn't killing me anymore. It's just taken a while to learn how to slow down and relax.
Oh......they still haven't been able to fill my position. CNC programmers don't grow on trees around here.*

.....#......
Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 AM   #20

AltaRed and Poundkey - I've said all along that I'd miss the people and not the work.* ** I really did like my coworkers and consider many of them friends, and* I feel just a tiny bit (0.0000000001%) guilty for leaving them stuck with all my work.* But they will be just fine.* I really do like those people.

But - after 4 weeks, I still have no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever from work!!!* I just feel like I'm on a long, luxurious, extended vacation that will never end!* I have so many things to keep me busy and occupied, that I don't have time to miss "working".* I pretty much thought all along that it would be this way.* I love being able to do things on weekdays when the stores and other businesses are not crowded.* I'm starting to shake the feeling that I have to hurry up and get things done over the weekend like before.

I went to visit my parents for a week; they live 10 hours away.* It wa so nice to be able to relax and enjoy the drive without having to hurry back to get ready to return to work.

It's all good!* People constantly tell me how relaxed and refreshed I look.* *

CJ