A Reminder Of How Great FIRE Is

grumpy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been retired almost two years. This morning I had an early doctor's appointment that required me to wake up to the alarm clock for the first time in many, many months. Man, I can't believe how awful that felt! That's without even considering the horror of getting on I-95 during the morning rush hour. I can hardly believe that I did that routine for 32 years. I kept looking at those poor folks next to me in the bumper to bumper traffic and thinking "do you realize there is a way you can stop doing this at an early age?".

If I needed a reminder of how much better FIRE'd life is than working, I sure got it today.

Grumpy

I usually think of the same thing when I have an early flight to catch to the Airport for a Vacation. 8) Although, waking up to the alarm is failrly painless when you're going someplace exciting. But the rush hour traffic thing, I avoid at most all costs. I Never leave the house between 3-6 pm :)

Yeh, it's been only 15 months and i'm feeling the same way reading this thread at home at 10:40 AM.

vagabond said:
Yeh, it's been only 15 months and i'm feeling the same way reading this thread at home at 10:40 AM.

You know, it's strange. I feel the same way when I waste an hour on the forums while I'm at home or at work. :D One I'm getting paid for, and the other is on my time.

Cut-Throat said:
I Never leave the house between 3-6 pm :)

In light of some of your posts during that time frame, I'm betting the reason you stay at home has more to do with avoiding a DUI charge that avoiding traffic. :LOL:

grumpy said:
I've been retired almost two years. This morning I had an early doctor's appointment that required me to wake up to the alarm clock for the first time in many, many months. Man, I can't believe how awful that felt! That's without even considering the horror of getting on I-95 during the morning rush hour. I can hardly believe that I did that routine for 32 years. I kept looking at those poor folks next to me in the bumper to bumper traffic and thinking "do you realize there is a way you can stop doing this at an early age?".

If I needed a reminder of how much better FIRE'd life is than working, I sure got it today.

Grumpy

Well, if the said bumper-to-bumper traffic was formed with a throng of Bimmers, Lexuses, and MBs, then, yeah, RE is going to be far far off for these folks. I can get trying to impress people with cars. I did at one time, but then again, I was a dumbass of 25 at the time. Don't people outgrow this phase sooner or later?

I can get trying to impress people with cars. I did at one time, but then again, I was a dumbass of 25 at the time. Don't people outgrow this phase sooner or later?

Back when I was 23 and finished up with college, and had (I thought at the time) a good paying job on the horizon, I went through a short phase when I wanted to blow a lot of money on a car. This was 1993, about the time compact SUVs were really hitting the mainstream. It would still be a few years before 4-door standard sized models like the Yukon and Expedition would explode the big market, but the small ones like the Pathfinder, Grand Cherokee, Explorer, Rodeo, 4Runner, etc were really hot at the time.

But the reality did hit me. Any one of these things would have cost me $25K or more, yet at the same time get about the same fuel economy as the '68 Dart I was driving at the time. And with perhapsh the exception of a Grand Cherokee with a 318 Magnum, none of 'em would've been as fast, either.

Looking back I'm SOOOO glad I didn't bother to sign up for 5 years of payments on a new vehicle at that tender young age. For one thing, it would've probably put off my buying my condo for a few years, and that would've probably led to other financial repercussions further down the road, which in turn would probably leave me less well-off now.

That being said, I drove to work today in a 21 year old Chevy Silverado with some rust in the rockers and a big stripe down the passenger side from where someone scraped up against it, and gave up more paint than they took. And I didn't CARE what anyone thought!! Although oddly, that truck gets alot of compliments for some reason...people think it's cool. ::)

grumpy said:
This morning I had an early doctor's appointment that required me to wake up to the alarm clock for the first time in many, many months.  Man, I can't believe how awful that felt!  That's without even considering the horror of getting on I-95 during the morning rush hour.
I don't know if there's a doctor in the world worth rush hour... unless you're doing it in an ambulance.

I don't even go surfing before 8 AM. Doctor's appointments and other mandatory musters are for the afternoons when the onshore breeze has chopped up the waves.

Damn you forward looking, retirment planning, financially savvy people! ;) Received 2 tickets last week (no seat belt on wife and crossing double yellow lines to get into the carpool lane). To top it off, the car battery just died so I have to find a way to an auto parts store. Even though I'm a student, I've been sitting in traffic for 4 days each week for the past 3.5 years. When I read threads like these, I wonder how anyone can NOT be planning for ER.

Veritasophia said:
Damn you forward looking, retirment planning, financially savvy people!

As I started reading this, I immediately flashed to "The Poster's Statement of Limited Liability" I've been considering using on the forum:

This post may contain forward-looking statements that reflect the poster’s current assumptions and estimates of future performance and economic conditions, which are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond the poster’s control. All statements other than statements of historical facts included in this post, including those regarding the poster’s strategy, future operations, financial position, estimated revenues, projected costs, projections, prospects, plans and objectives, are forward-looking statements. When used in this post, the words "believes," "anticipates," "plans," "expects," "intends," "estimates", "wagers", "bets" or similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements, although not all forward-looking statements contain such identifying words. All forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of this post. Although the poster believes that his/her plans, intentions and expectations reflected in or suggested by the forward-looking statements made in this post are reasonable, such plans, intentions or expectations may not be achieved.

Too bad it's too long to fit in my signature. :-\

REWahoo! said:
As I started reading this, I immediately flashed to "The Poster's Statement of Limited Liability" I've been considering using on the forum:

This post may contain forward-looking statements that reflect the poster’s current assumptions and estimates of future performance and economic conditions, which are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond the poster’s control. All statements other than statements of historical facts included in this post, including those regarding the poster’s strategy, future operations, financial position, estimated revenues, projected costs, projections, prospects, plans and objectives, are forward-looking statements. When used in this post, the words "believes," "anticipates," "plans," "expects," "intends," "estimates", "wagers", "bets" or similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements, although not all forward-looking statements contain such identifying words. All forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of this post. Although the poster believes that his/her plans, intentions and expectations reflected in or suggested by the forward-looking statements made in this post are reasonable, such plans, intentions or expectations may not be achieved.

OK. Now I know you were a lawyer in your previous life.

I appreciate good CYA any day. :)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Alarm went off at 5:30 this morning, sat in 50 minutes of traffice to get 12 miles, sick but still here because I have to get 7 security accreditation packages out in a week. And the most obnoxious guy is moving in next to me, has only one volume: 11! I did some research on some noise cancelling headphones today.

:mad:

I'm just glad I get a lot of days off.

worrying about mom i had trouble sleeping last night. finally fell asleep at about 6 in the a.m. woke up about an hour ago. just now having my protein shake breakfast at the computer at 3 in the afternoon. i'll have some lunch after the evening news and then head to the gym which should be clearing out by then.

a morning at the doctor's office? there's an appointment i would have missed.

REWahoo! said:

Dang! How about this instead:

If you follow my suggestions and they fail it is not my fault and you are on your own.

OR

Be a grownup and do your own research before you take anybody's advice.

SteveR said:
Dang! How about this instead:

If you follow my suggestions and they fail it is not my fault and you are on your own.

OR

Be a grownup and do your own research before you take anybody's advice.

SteveR, it's very fortunate you didn't choose a career in law. Since the legal profession bills by the hour, you would have starved to death with those directly to the point, straightforward, clearly understood inadequately worded efforts.

Grumpy - don't you live in the DC suburbs? How can you even think about going out in that traffic at rush hour:confused: :p

After 4 weeks of ER (has it been that long already:confused:) I went into downtown Baltimore to meet with some coworkers for lunch. I allowed at least 1-1/4 hours to get there (the normal commute time) but because I went at 10:30 a.m. it took me only a little over an hour. Wow, the difference in non-rush hour traffic! I really miss my coworkers, but not all the stuff they are dealing with these days.

CJ

cj said:
Grumpy - don't you live in the DC suburbs? How can you even think about going out in that traffic at rush hour:confused:

CJ

CJ,

Yep. I normally don't go anywhere between 7 and 10 am or between 3 and 7 pm just to avoid the horrible D.C. area traffic. In this case it was take an 8:15 am Dr's appointment or wait a few weeks for a more congenial time. I will now return to my normal slothful ways. :D

Grumpy

cj said:
After 4 weeks of ER (has it been that long already:confused:) I went into downtown Baltimore to meet with some coworkers for lunch.  I allowed at least 1-1/4 hours to get there (the normal commute time) but because I went at 10:30 a.m. it took me only a little over an hour.  Wow, the difference in non-rush hour traffic!  I really miss my coworkers, but not all the stuff they are dealing with these days.

CJ

After almost 4 weeks of being retired myself, I have had zero inclination to contact the office or anyone working in it. Either I was just ready for a very clean, very final exit, or a relocation across international borders to the place of retirement has kept me so busy, I really have had no time to even think of the job, the office, or the people.

Well.......I've been retired for 9 weeks today. I've got to say it's taken some getting used to after 37 years of the same old grind.....almost a guilty feeling. Really stange.
Don't get me wrong.....I'm not complaining. I don't have headaches anymore,.....my blood pressure has dropped 15 points.....lost 10 pounds.....I'm sleeping good...and my back isn't killing me anymore. It's just taken a while to learn how to slow down and relax.
Oh......they still haven't been able to fill my position. CNC programmers don't grow on trees around here.  :D

.....#......

AltaRed and Poundkey - I've said all along that I'd miss the people and not the work.   :D  I really did like my coworkers and consider many of them friends, and  I feel just a tiny bit (0.0000000001%) guilty for leaving them stuck with all my work.  But they will be just fine.  I really do like those people.

But - after 4 weeks, I still have no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever from work!!!  I just feel like I'm on a long, luxurious, extended vacation that will never end!  I have so many things to keep me busy and occupied, that I don't have time to miss "working".  I pretty much thought all along that it would be this way.  I love being able to do things on weekdays when the stores and other businesses are not crowded.  I'm starting to shake the feeling that I have to hurry up and get things done over the weekend like before.

I went to visit my parents for a week; they live 10 hours away.  It wa so nice to be able to relax and enjoy the drive without having to hurry back to get ready to return to work.

It's all good!  People constantly tell me how relaxed and refreshed I look.   :)

CJ

I have to agree with you, cj, about doing things during the week when everyone else is working. Hubby and I took a leisurely drive up to Door County (Wisconsin) yesterday. It was heavenly. No traffic to contend with, no waiting in line while shopping or at restaurants, etc. What a glorious day!
Since the traffic rush will be over Friday night we're heading to sis's house Saturday morning to put the boats in and take a ride on the lake.
Sunday and Monday will be spent around the house while everyone else is rushing to get here and there.
I love retired life!

Yep, it's been 2 yrs, 5 months now.  I hate any MANDATORY appointments, no matter what time they are.  I still get up between 6-7 a.m.; can't seem to overcome that, but it's an hour later than 43 years of working allowed.  So now, coffee and IMUS; breakfast, then gym about 9:30 or so. Lunch at noon precedes a nap.  Weekends are rigorous, since IMUS isn't on!  :D

cj said:
But - after 4 weeks, I still have no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever from work!!!  I just feel like I'm on a long, luxurious, extended vacation that will never end!  I have so many things to keep me busy and occupied, that I don't have time to miss "working".  I pretty much thought all along that it would be this way.  I love being able to do things on weekdays when the stores and other businesses are not crowded.  I'm starting to shake the feeling that I have to hurry up and get things done over the weekend like before.

I went to visit my parents for a week; they live 10 hours away.  It wa so nice to be able to relax and enjoy the drive without having to hurry back to get ready to return to work.

It's all good!  People constantly tell me how relaxed and refreshed I look.   :)

CJ

CJ, I didn't mean to be critical of you missing your co-workers. My comment was more directed at being so busy since the last day of work that I have not given any thought to the office (or the people either). Course it is a bit different in my case because I've also made an International move back to Canada as part of retirement. So that makes a difference too.

Having said that, all the things you have said I have experienced as well so far. I'be been loving the freedom of doing things during the week when it is much less busy out. I am looking forward to that on a very long term basis.....

REWahoo! said:

here's my favourite....

IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not authorized (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this email, although the kelpie next door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom