Join Early Retirement Today

A second career post-FIRE?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let's say you get to FIRE at 40 but you need something to keep you busy and you're tired of your current career. Is it crazy to go back to school for a totally new career? Just for the sake of learning something new in a field that supported part-time w*rk to bring in some extra spending money and maybe healthcare costs as well? And if it turned out not to be that great, you're FIRE anyway, so who cares?
soupcxan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know if I will start a second career, but I definitely intend to go back to school just because I love learning. So I don't think it's crazy at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Certainly not crazy. You're FIREd, you can do whatever you want. I personally wouldn't consider working if I didn't need the money. There's always plenty to do that doesn't include working on someone else's schedule.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Assuming I can (semi?) FIRE next year, I plan on taking a year off with no commitments to anybody else, and figuring out if/what I want to do next. And whatever it might be, will have nothing to do with the IT field, which I've grown to hate after doing it for 25 years.

The film and entertainment industry has always intrigued me. I've always been a movie lover, and am one of the few people I know who still goes to movies regularly, and I have my own home theater.

I have no skills for writing, directing, acting, or anything like that, but I've often thought my various career skills would let me produce. Wouldn't it be cool to identify a short film project, round up the talent, produce it, and get it out there?

Wouldn't need to be something I'd do for money, either, just for the fun of it. And who knows, if it led to bigger things down the road, that's fine, too. If not, it doesn't matter, at least it would be fun giving it a go.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

As part of my ER I intend to enroll in Spanish classes at the community college. Also would consider getting a masters too. I too love learning and the fact that school would be without the pressure this time.

prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm researching options for a "retirement job" ~ ideally one that provides employer-sponsored health insurance but doesn't require 40 hours a week & is less demanding than my current job that I'd very much like to retire from. The big issue limiting my options is it needs to be primarily a desk job - little to no standing - due to foot issues. So far airline call center is the front-runner, but I am hoping to add some other options. All ideas welcome!
HtownRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownRose View Post
I'm researching options for a "retirement job" ~ ideally one that provides employer-sponsored health insurance but doesn't require 40 hours a week & is less demanding than my current job that I'd very much like to retire from. The big issue limiting my options is it needs to be primarily a desk job - little to no standing - due to foot issues.
I'm kind of the opposite, tired of sitting at a desk 10 hours a day staring at a computer, would like to have a job that has a mix of moving/standing/sitting (but not hard physical labor).
soupcxan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:39 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Let's say you get to FIRE at 40 but you need something to keep you busy and you're tired of your current career. Is it crazy to go back to school for a totally new career? Just for the sake of learning something new in a field that supported part-time w*rk to bring in some extra spending money and maybe healthcare costs as well? And if it turned out not to be that great, you're FIRE anyway, so who cares?
That's how I look at it: I concluded a successful career. There is no failure at this point. Everything is experimentation. If it doesn't work out, no harm, no foul.

From what I've read, people in our situation tend to do short stints of education -- say, a certification program -- rather than go back full time.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I wanted to retire, and left the Mega Corp. at 56 being financially independent – well, I got offered, a 1 year contract in Dubai and thought it would be fun – it was and really enjoyed it. As I was packing to head home, got a call and a company in SE Asia offered me a boat load of $$ to go out there for 2 years – I had a great time and visited all my old stomping grounds (I spent most of my career internationally and 87 to 96 in Asia).

When my 2 years were up a few weeks ago, I packed up and took a break in Hong Kong – 3rd day, got a call and now will spend another 2 years in Asia.

What is different doing a contact verses a full employee, is the office politics/games are gone – they pay for your skills and the training of their people.– I have always enjoyed my work and really enjoying life in my 2nd career. I have met many other retirees teaching and doing other contract work all enjoying life.

Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #10

I would never recommend going back for a second career. Start your own business if you feel the need to do something.

It will be more money, more enjoyable and you will not feel trapped.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I would never recommend going back for a second career. Start your own business if you feel the need to do something.

It will be more money, more enjoyable and you will not feel trapped.

Having your own business can be the biggest trap ever, especially the successful ones. Most small business owners are "married" to their businesses. If you have employees this can be magnified.

prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #12
gone traveling

I'm doing encore one. Actually I plan to do two. I am starting encore part one right now --

FIREd in April. Relocated and we downsized. In August I began teaching part time at a Big 10 university. Approx 3 days per week. It's not much classroom - mostly networking with companies who give our students internships and projects for experience. So far it's a lot of work and Pay is a pittance.

It does cover about 1/3 of our monthly basic survival spend. Being Worried about sequence of returns, it has helped reduce some of my perpetual stress about pulling money out / maybe it's just that I'm busy now so don't think about money constantly. Not sure.

Two upsides that came a little later - first, the role qualifies me for university "employee ". healthcare - a good plan and helps drop the rest of family Obama healthcare monthly from 900 to 600 in premiums per month ... Oh. And a I get a faculty parking pass !

Then they asked that I enroll in a masters program and they would cover the cost of tuition except for student fees and books because I lack a masters . They asked how can a non masters holder possibly teach master degree candidates .... Life Experience, of course but predictably, universities don't like the answer).

I Don't really want or need this degree but I won't argue with free tuition and what else was I going to do in my free time aside watching Oprah.

Finally, it's been an interesting way to acclimate to a new location and meet some intelligent people as well as surround myself with youth and feel like I am giving back and adding value, it's important for mental health.

I do feel a pinch around schedule but I like the structure of meeting and engaging with people or at least getting out of bed before noon most days

Ultimately I will launch career 3.0, in a few years. That entails getting yet a different masters degree and likely teaching high school .... Internationally. More a life experience than money or career. That's the plan anyway. Let's see how it pans out.

It's all been fun because it's all upside. If it goes to sh1t then I bail and go back to watching reruns of Gilligans island and the Love Boat.

Being "pre-tired" rocks !!!
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote