Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

A strong anti-retirement sermon at our church yesterday
Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

A strong anti-retirement sermon at our church yesterday

We had a sermon at our church that was very anti-retiree. Basically this guy preached that Christians should work at something till they drop dead. Anybody who doesn't is questionable. It was effectively delivered. Unfortunately for me, I just happened to return from a 3 weeks from the coast of Maine and had a tan. I had to go up front of everyone for a particular reason and as I went up they said here is ____ back from his 3 week vacation in Maine. Plus, everybody knows I am retired. Then came the sermon. I will say that I did not feel like the scum of the earth- I got a little bit steamed. I should add that it was not our regular minister/pastor, it was a congregational member that occasionly fills in. He is 63 and can't afford to retire. I really wanted to unload as to how I feet about "anti" type sermons with an email to the person in question and our regular Pastor but thought I should not retaliate.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Forgive him and move on.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
He is 63 and can't afford to retire. I really wanted to unload as to how I feet about "anti" type sermons with an email to the person in question and our regular Pastor but thought I should not retaliate.
Not in that way, anyhow. Just put a tail on him and see if he is sleeping with someone other than his DW. Then post the pictures on the church bulletin board.

Ha
Old 09-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would talk to the pastor privately so that he knows what happened. The pulpit should not be used for personal attacks, which this very nearly was (apparently).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #5

If you don't need more money, why in the world would one take a paying job away from someone that does need the money??
Seems to me that would contradict what Christianity says about greed.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Basically this guy preached that Christians should work at something till they drop dead.
For Christians, suicide is a mortal sin. Perhaps you can have him burned for preaching heresy?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Wow--a lot of retired people are very active in our church; a sermon like that, and they would likely find some other place to volunteer. So maybe a calm word to the pastor might be in order to prevent an exodus like that.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Wow--a lot of retired people are very active in our church; a sermon like that, and they would likely find some other place to volunteer. So maybe a calm word to the pastor might be in order to prevent an exodus like that.
Good idea. Then take the high road by saying you do forgive the guy. But your point will be very well made.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Even Sermons are allowed healthy debate and discussion. I suggest a series of meetings with him as you work to understand what he was trying to make a point about and share your counter points in a professional manner. If in fact he "sticks to his argument" then suggest that this interpretation of Christianity isn't something you can seem to get a grasp of and ask him frankly if he cares or not if you stay in the congregation. If he says he wants you to remain then suggest that he needs to preach from a more tolerant position that allows a multi opinion approach even if he goes in the end to his position. If he says he thinks you are "wrong" and "going to hell" then tell him you'll be finding another congregation....no need to hold a pew open for you.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'd call him on Christ's calling to help heal the sick, clothe the naked, feed the hungry and shelter the homeless. Jesus was all about the more fortunate willingly using some of their good fortune to help those less fortunate.

It seems to me that leaving a job you don't need in order to create a job opening for someone who badly needs it is one of the most charitable things someone can do. It doesn't mean you have to be idle and stop doing God's work. In summary, this guy has no clue.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We had a sermon at our church that was very anti-retiree. Basically this guy preached that Christians should work at something till they drop dead. Anybody who doesn't is questionable. It was effectively delivered. Unfortunately for me, I just happened to return from a 3 weeks from the coast of Maine and had a tan. I had to go up front of everyone for a particular reason and as I went up they said here is ____ back from his 3 week vacation in Maine. Plus, everybody knows I am retired. Then came the sermon. I will say that I did not feel like the scum of the earth- I got a little bit steamed. I should add that it was not our regular minister/pastor, it was a congregational member that occasionly fills in. He is 63 and can't afford to retire. I really wanted to unload as to how I feet about "anti" type sermons with an email to the person in question and our regular Pastor but thought I should not retaliate.
You of course informed him that Jesus was a bum/panhandler who didn't have a day job nor pay SS or taxes.

Seems to me - he did pretty good.

heh heh heh -
Old 09-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #12

Actually, if you could stand back and observe this situation, there is some humor in the situation. But, seriously, I'd blow what he said off...who cares? Life's too short. If that's his real opinion then fine, but sounds like Mr. Pastor is bitter because he can't retire. He wouldn't be the first "man of God" I ever met that used his own "stuff" to put on someone else. Sounds like this Pastor has problems himself.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #13

Quote:
....Basically this guy preached that Christians should work at something till they drop dead. Anybody who doesn't is questionable....
Well....I guess Jesus' disciples were pretty darn questionable then, and Jesus was the one who led them astray! That guy must have forgotten all about the fact that it was Jesus himself, that TOLD the disciples to leave there jobs and follow him as a band of vagabonds!!!

So, to your "anti-retirement" sermonizer....like Bill Engvall would say...."Here's your sign!"
Old 09-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

+1 on what Orchidflower said. You were probably the only person in church who was listening to the sermon, anyway.
Sermon...
Old 09-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Sermon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Well....I guess Jesus' disciples were pretty darn questionable then, and Jesus was the one who led them astray! That guy must have forgotten all about the fact that it was Jesus himself, that TOLD the disciples to leave there jobs and follow him as a band of vagabonds!!!
Goonie's spot on with the example of Jesus, Peter, John, and
other disciples as guys who "retired" from carpentry and fishing
in order to pursue a different mission.

Paul "semi-retired" and occasionally made tents in order to support
himself while he preached and wrote.

Perhaps the best Biblical example, though, might be Joseph who
saved 20% of ALL Egypt's produce during years of abundance
in order to have food during the years of famine he knew was
coming. (Genesis 41).

I use this all the time to give a reason for saving for retirement.
Most of us will see years of "famine" in old age. We know in some
form or another the famine is coming. I will not physically be able
to do the work that I do now in my later years. My famine
is coming. The same thing Joseph did for the kingdom is what the responsible worker should do now... save some in the years of
abundance.

(Sorry about the sermon)

I hope your fellow church member is willing to reconcile.
Hope this helps.

-LB
Old 09-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Simply ignore him. He sounds pretty silly and also sounds like he has run out of points to make or productive sermons to give.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

One of the few downsides to RE is that events of no particular significance become important because the retiree has nothing else to get excited about. Perhaps you could find something worthwhile to fret over and this "anti-retirement sermon" will pass from your mind like a wisp of smoke in the wind.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This thread is straying from the original topic into a very questionable area. Our Community Rules do not permit offensive comments regarding religion or sexual orientation.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:56 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This thread is straying from the original topic into a very questionable area. Our Community Rules do not permit offensive comments regarding religion or sexual orientation.
So says Father Guido Sarducci. We'll have "nun" of that around here! ...
Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

This may run afoul of the community rules , and if so I won't be offended if this post gets deleted.

But let me offer a cynical view of the sermon. Church revenues are hurting. Retirees don't earn as much money and don't tithe as much. Fully employed parishioners that earn more money would tithe more. This guy is looking out for his source of a paycheck - contributions to the church coffers from parishioners. Church = non profit business that has bills to pay.

Or you can put forth a rebuttal. Tell him God created the Earth and reserved the seventh day for rest. Your life is like a week, and retirement is the seventh day in your week, a time reserved for rest and reflection. You have worked hard through the first six days, toiling in school, raising a family and yourself, slaving away at a job, etc. Now you are ready to enjoy your seventh day dedicated to rest before the week comes to a final end.
Closed Thread