Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

This thread makes me think about an idea I've considered for an RVers home base after retirement. It's sort of a "poor man's" version of the RV/Casita combo. I envision a large steel building, like a 40 x 60, with a high bay door for the RV on one side. The other side would be finished off with a small apartment-sized living quarters. The RV would serve as guest quarters.

This type of set up would have to be in a more rural area without zoning restrictions. It seems like an idea that could work out well for us as we plan to snowbird in the winters. These buildings are very low maintenance and could be ideal for folks who want to take off for months at a time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
This thread makes me think about an idea I've considered for an RVers home base after retirement. It's sort of a "poor man's" version of the RV/Casita combo. I envision a large steel building, like a 40 x 60, with a high bay door for the RV on one side. The other side would be finished off with a small apartment-sized living quarters. The RV would serve as guest quarters.

This type of set up would have to be in a more rural area without zoning restrictions. It seems like an idea that could work out well for us as we plan to snowbird in the winters. These buildings are very low maintenance and could be ideal for folks who want to take off for months at a time.

Sort of like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1321b.jpg (238.7 KB, 20 views)

Old 11-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Backing is a lot less of a big deal than people think. We back the trailer into some tight spots and the combo of van and trailer is 35 feet long. As Audrey said, you just need a good spotter.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Very nice concept. If I were into RV traveling, that would be a good way to go. A buddy of mine is selling his house to do the same thing. Only he is going to do the Mississippi version, buy a modular home as his primary residence. Which is probably OK if your not going to be there long.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Backing is a lot less of a big deal than people think. We back the trailer into some tight spots and the combo of van and trailer is 35 feet long. As Audrey said, you just need a good spotter.
Backing a trailer is waaaaay harder than backing a large motorhome!

Audrey
Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Very nice concept. If I were into RV traveling, that would be a good way to go. A buddy of mine is selling his house to do the same thing. Only he is going to do the Mississippi version, buy a modular home as his primary residence. Which is probably OK if your not going to be there long.
A lot of folks down here (deep south TX) have mobile homes - single or double-wide. Some of the most upscale mobile home neighborhoods I've ever seen are in the area. But these don't usually accommodate RVs other than perhaps strictly in the driveway - more likely to be stored off site.

And then there are the RV parks: RV pad sites with various "park model" type mobile homes, or RV pad sites with small storage units or small building with some living space. These make very inexpensive winter homes for snowbirds - it's an incredibly economical way to go and wildly popular. In most of the areas these sites are packed pretty close together!!!! Some of the parks look pretty wild with a mish-mash of small buildings and RVs, outbuildings and mobile homes/park models scattered haphazardly throughout the park.

But none of the above really appealed to us since we don't have another house as our primary residence. Plus, quite frankly, so many of these places are a cramped eyesore and I just couldn't stand it!

So it wasn't until we saw a more permanent structure with adequate storage and living space, that integrated a large class A motorhome and had plenty of private space between neighbors, that we got even remotely interested.

Audrey
Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
And then there are the RV parks: RV pad sites with various "park model" type mobile homes, or RV pad sites with small storage units or small building with some living space. These make very inexpensive winter homes for snowbirds - it's an incredibly economical way to go and wildly popular.
To get an appreciation for exactly how "wildly popular" RV parks are in the RGV, click on this map. It is one of the heaviest concentrations of RV parks in the US.

MapMuse - Locate the closest RV Parks and RV Campgrounds

There are 152 parks on this map (zoom in for more detail) and the listing is not all inclusive.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Wow Wahoo, I didn't know about MapMuse. Handy!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Yeah, I didn't know what to tell a houseguest who was looking to tent camp in the city after three months in the back country. Interesting, the nearest RV site has shuttles to downtown, that might solve the parking problem.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

The thing is most of these parks are long-term monthly rentals with people staying several months a year and returning each year. So for short-term RVers the options are more limited. For tent campers - there is almost nothing. Bentsen State Park still allows primitive tent camping but you can't drive to your campsite - you have to take the park shuttle or walk.

Audrey
Old 11-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Sort of like this?
The ultimate manhouse.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, what an interesting concept. Looks beautiful! I love how the "front door" opens out onto the courtyard. Congratulations!

I browsed around the site and I'm wondering about those bungalow coach houses. I see a living area/bedroom and small kitchen. Is there a bathroom? Or is the idea that you still do most of the living out of the motorhome. Must have utility hookups.

Nevermind, I searched and it seems you can build it out any way you'd like. Here's a photo album showing how one couple finished theirs with a living area, bathroom and utility area, but no kitchen -

http://picasaweb.google.com/wb4pdo/F...hHouseOct2007#

My neighbor used to have one of large RV motorhomes but she sold it after her husband died. It took up her entire driveway for most of the year. They loved it and used it often.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #53

Quote:
The ultimate manhouse.

I never thought of myself as the Ultimate Man before, but... THANKS!
Old 11-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ditto that.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is neat although I do have a couple of issues with it. First, it does not show every RV park in the area. I estimate it captures only 75-80%. Second, the location shown for the park is often not very accurate. You need to go to some other source to confirm.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Wow, what an interesting concept. Looks beautiful! I love how the "front door" opens out onto the courtyard. Congratulations!

I browsed around the site and I'm wondering about those bungalow coach houses. I see a living area/bedroom and small kitchen. Is there a bathroom? Or is the idea that you still do most of the living out of the motorhome. Must have utility hookups.

Nevermind, I searched and it seems you can build it out any way you'd like. Here's a photo album showing how one couple finished theirs with a living area, bathroom and utility area, but no kitchen -

Picasa Web Albums - Mike and Pat - Finishing Ins...

My neighbor used to have one of large RV motorhomes but she sold it after her husband died. It took up her entire driveway for most of the year. They loved it and used it often.
Looks like you got most of your questions answered, but yes, I believe the full bathroom is standard in those coach houses and they are wired for all the living amenities like laundry and kitchen. I think most folks have kitchen, bath and laundry. Whether you have a sleeping area or living area or both (like with a murphy bed) it's up to you.

Apparently folks have gone nuts with all their interior design. With a small place to outfit, you can do some extravagant stuff without breaking the bank. They have an open house once a year so that everyone can see what each other has done.

Audrey
Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Do they show smaller model homes for people with a class C or a class B, like the RV that I am going to buy?

Never mind. I am going to build one for myself from a Tumbleweed house blue print.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Do they show smaller model homes for people with a class C or a class B, like the RV that I am going to buy?

Never mind. I am going to build one for myself from a Tumbleweed house blue print.

I think these coach houses would be ideal for a smaller rig such as a Class C or Class B as it would give you a bit more living area, and you end up with a lot of driveway! But it might not be enough "house" - it is pretty small if you were looking for more of a house.

I don't remember whether there were any RV restrictions in terms of size on these "coach lots".

Audrey
Old 11-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think these coach houses would be ideal for a smaller rig such as a Class C or Class B as it would give you a bit more living area...

I don't remember whether there were any RV restrictions in terms of size on these "coach lots".
I was joking.

Actually, only half-joking as I think the trend in the US will be towards smaller houses in the future. Out with McMansions. In with smaller houses.

Hence, I have an image in my mind of a class B parked by a Tumbleweed house. The little house would have tripled the total living space. It would be so cute!

Now, I need a Smart car behind my class B and the setup is complete. Wait! I already have a little Honda scooter (an 81 Passport), mentioned elsewhere in this forum.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here are pictures of the inside of the Bungalow homes. The only thing that I find slightly troubling is the pricing. The site quotes $149k to start. Are they talking about the bungalows or the regular houses?

Retama Village Photos - Bentsen Palm Development - Rio Grande Valley, Texas