Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Here are pictures of the inside of the Bungalow homes. The only thing that I find slightly troubling is the pricing. The site quotes $149k to start. Are they talking about the bungalows or the regular houses?

Retama Village Photos - Bentsen Palm Development - Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Pretty, but I wouldn't pay 150k for it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

The little coach houses/efficiency bungalows that Dawg and Buns link to are priced lower. These are basic squares that can be finished off to include a bathroom/laundry with a kitchenette. IIRC, unfinished those start at about $45,000. What Audrey is buying is one of the small houses, with the nice courtyard, covered rv area, and a two bedroom home. I believe those are the ones that start at the price you mentioned.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Here are pictures of the inside of the Bungalow homes. The only thing that I find slightly troubling is the pricing. The site quotes $149k to start. Are they talking about the bungalows or the regular houses?
That $149K is for the one-bedroom finished house with attached 50 foot covered RV port on a much larger lot.

The smaller bungalow house (Phase 1) as shown in the photo above - 12'x20' house plus site is $45K. The page you mentioned refers to these as "RV Sites" rather than homes. Retama Community - Bentsen Palm

Audrey
Old 11-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That $149K is for the one-bedroom finished house with attached 50 foot covered RV port on a much larger lot.

The smaller bungalow house (Phase 1) as shown in the photo above - 12'x20' house plus site is $45K. The page you mentioned refers to these as "RV Sites" rather than homes. Retama Community - Bentsen Palm

Audrey
Well that's not too bad then. The 12'x20' house is all a single guy needs, along with the RV.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Well that's not too bad then. The 12'x20' house is all a single guy needs, along with the RV.
Yep - sounds like plenty for one! And lots of neighbors to introduce you to other singles.

Audrey
Old 11-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
The 12'x20' house is all a single guy needs, along with the RV.
Eh? Being greedy there, aren't you? That's for a couple. A single guy should be happy with just one, so take your pick!

Seriously, I see the allure of living simply, but for me to practice it would require a very drastic reform. While my wife has lots of knick knack, I have my books, old electronics stuff (past defunct business as well as from life long hobby), tools for car repair as well as to be "handymanly". While we can put our boonies home on the market as it is, our main home where we have lived 23 years would require major efforts to clean up.

My living space can be small, but I would need a large storage space. I have seen pictures of a barn to store a class A along with other stuff, with a small apartment in the back. My wife wouldn't want to give up our conventional homes though. Heck, I am still selling her on the idea of an RV, hence would not push it by mentioning these non-mainstream housing arrangements to her.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Heck, I am still selling her on the idea of an RV, hence would not push it by mentioning these non-mainstream housing arrangements to her.

Yep - us "weirdos" and our non-mainstream housing!

Audrey
Old 11-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

A non-conformist in other aspects, I applaud people who pursue happiness their own way. It's a wonderful world.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Eh? Being greedy there, aren't you? That's for a couple. A single guy should be happy with just one, so take your pick!

Seriously, I see the allure of living simply, but for me to practice it would require a very drastic reform. While my wife has lots of knick knack, I have my books, old electronics stuff (past defunct business as well as from life long hobby), tools for car repair as well as to be "handymanly". While we can put our boonies home on the market as it is, our main home where we have lived 23 years would require major efforts to clean up.

My living space can be small, but I would need a large storage space. I have seen pictures of a barn to store a class A along with other stuff, with a small apartment in the back. My wife wouldn't want to give up our conventional homes though. Heck, I am still selling her on the idea of an RV, hence would not push it by mentioning these non-mainstream housing arrangements to her.
Oh my.... your situation sounds just like mine, and it doesn't require being married!

On my own, I have a city place I have lived in for 20 years and would be a major effort to clean up and clean out, and I have a place in the boonies that I could sell as is. And I lust after having a small RV to see the world in, with my best friend, my four year old German shepherd.

I am doing everything "responsibly" -- happily cut back spending in the down market and found ways to make money available for a class B conversion van, a Sportsmobile.

But what in the world is one girl doing with a city house, a country house, a reliable Honda, and lusting after an RV? So I fight with myself, carry on mental conversations, play the numbers out and calculate it over and over, and what if I rent out this place or that place, so it doesn't sit empty? how about just sticking a tent in the trunk of my Honda ....

It's a happy problem to have, I know. But geesh, it should be easier.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Oh my.... your situation sounds just like mine, and it doesn't require being married!

But what in the world is one girl doing with a city house, a country house, a reliable Honda, and lusting after an RV? So I fight with myself, carry on mental conversations, play the numbers out and calculate it over and over, and what if I rent out this place or that place, so it doesn't sit empty? how about just sticking a tent in the trunk of my Honda ....

It's a happy problem to have, I know. But geesh, it should be easier.
Wow! I wonder how you manage that just by yourself. If alone, I would not have two houses.

I occasionally fantasize about being a world traveler with my wife, two carry-ons each with a small Netbook to check on the Web on where to go next, and also to check on my brokerage accounts, which should just go up and up However, I know that our nature is to keep "stuff". We can minimize it, but we will always have "stuff".

On travels longer than 3 weeks, we would miss home. Hence, a class B or class C would be alright for us to travel for a couple of months at a time. That's the theory anyway, and I do not know if it would work out. Hence I have been reluctant to get one that's too expensive in case it does not work out. Being frugal, I hate to take a big loss, knowing how fast these RV's depreciate. I am still shopping around, because we are not in the position to take off right now.

In your case, if you have the freedom to go, then why not? It appears that financial is not the real problem with you, same as with us. We only live once. If we outgrow it and the wanderlust went away after a few years, no big deal. We would be able to say "been there, done that" later and not have to wonder what could have been.

Had I known, I would have spent some extra money to have a larger and taller garage at my boonies place to accept at least a class B. I am entertaining the idea of building a carport for my future RV up in the boonies home. I even think how I could run a drain line from that parking spot to the septic tank. It's not to use the RV there as my boonies home has plenty of space, but for the convenience of cleaning out the RV after a trip.

Heh heh heh... Life is an adventure, and there are a few things that I still like to try.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #71

Quote:

In your case, if you have the freedom to go, then why not? It appears that financial is not the real problem with you, same as with us. We only live once. If we outgrow it and the wanderlust went away after a few years, no big deal. We would be able to say "been there, done that" later and not have to wonder what could have been.
The temporary answer I am coming to is a tent in the trunk of my Honda, and my dog up in the other front seat, and taking off for the state parks in Maine this summer .... and daydreaming about life in a van, perhaps meeting people who are using theirs.

I don't have any doubt I'd enjoy it -- grew up with parents who piled us all in the station wagon every school break and hit the road for the West and South -- but, like you, I am aware of the depreciation issues. I can't see renting one, though, with a dog. I expect to look for a reliable used one for '11, sooner if life happens that way.

We'll see!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Being frugal, I hate to take a big loss, knowing how fast these RV's depreciate.
Quote:
but, like you, I am aware of the depreciation issues.
It only depreciates when it sits in a lot unused. Otherwise it is consumed, and enjoyed.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
It only depreciates when it sits in a lot unused. Otherwise it is consumed, and enjoyed.
Yeah. Reminds me of... What was it?

"If I had my life to live over. I would pick more Daisies."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
It only depreciates when it sits in a lot unused.
That was what I was afraid of. I don't want my wife, who is still reluctant about this, later tells me that the money could have been spent on more European trips, something that's tried and true for us.

On the other hand, I have seen seasoned RV'ers having no problem buying new ones. They get their money's worth, I am sure.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:23 AM   #75

I can see how it's shaping up, being retired. My full time job will be organizing and scheduling my life, when I'm where, what maintenance needs to be done, can my dog come, what to do with everything when I head to Asia or South America....
Old 11-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #76
Administrator

Quote:
I can see how it's shaping up, being retired. My full time job will be organizing and scheduling my life, when I'm where, what maintenance needs to be done, can my dog come, what to do with everything when I head to Asia or South America....
Sounds like you might eventually join those of us who are not so interested in traveling during retirement, after all! My full time job in retirement so far (the past 2+ weeks) has been doing whatever I please each day.

Maybe later I will feel a need to fill my life with something but I doubt it will be long trips (or work). But then, you never know - - no need to rule anything out! Well, except work.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

One of the things we did - after a few years of just travel and catching up with all the things we didn't have time for or had to put off due to work - was step back and really streamline our lives to facilitate what we enjoyed most, and to attempt to cut out as much of the hassle/waste-time stuff as possible. But it took a few years before we were ready to do that consciously. I think you need some time just experimenting and trying things before you can really "design your life". Fortunately early retirees have the time to do this.

That "design your life" approach is what ultimately led us to full-time RVing, as the house and sailboat were major drags when we wanted to be out traveling and photographing/wildlife viewing all the time.

And we still use that criteria as we move to part-time RVing. A major criteria for a "home base" was that it already be somewhere where we spend a lot of time photographing/wildlife viewing, it still had to facilitate extended travel, AND the hassle side of owning a home needed to be kept to a minimum - i.e. small house and absolutely no yard maintenance.

Just some food for thought......

Audrey
Old 11-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #78
Administrator

Then (without re-reading previous posts due to sheer laziness) I assume the community takes care of all of the yard maintenance, cutting grass and tending to other landscaping needs. That is terrific, Audrey! What a perfect setup for RV folks - - plus you have the advantage of a bricks-and-mortar home firmly confirming residency in a state with no income tax.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Then (without re-reading previous posts due to sheer laziness) I assume the community takes care of all of the yard maintenance, cutting grass and tending to other landscaping needs. That is terrific, Audrey! What a perfect setup for RV folks - - plus you have the advantage of a bricks-and-mortar home firmly confirming residency in a state with no income tax.
Yes. The house comes with full front yard landscaping, with a design pre-determined by the community landscaping master plan, an underground sprinkler system, and the back yard fully sodded with garden beds laid out per your requirements. Then you can plant the back garden beds yourself, or hire the development landscape people to do that for you as well. They have all these horticultural resources you can tap into to get your back yard up to speed which is great for us as we will be using native plants.

The whole yard thing was one of those absolute GO/NOGO issues for us. We would absolutely not buy a house today if we had to do our own landscaping, watering and maintenance. And we weren't really interested in condo or townhouse living due to privacy, AND we had to be able to keep the big rig RV on our property which is usually incompatible with smaller/closer living communities.

Oh - there is no question that we are TX residents since we lived here all our adult lives, never established residency in any other state and we have kept all the relevant registrations in order, but yes it does make it a little easier to explain when you own/inhabit real property.....

Audrey
Old 11-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #80

Laughing at myself.

As a kid, later in college, and more school, and work..... I was attracted to some of everything. I can be happy in too many ways. Too many choices.

Being retired is the same way.... (Duh.)

And yesterday in the mail, got a case assigned to me from a new judge who didn't know I had bailed out. (My registration is set through mid 2011.) And since it's easy, I'm keeping the case, and enjoying the variety in life.

Going to try the tent in the Honda for awhile, and renting campsites and see how it goes.

You're right, Audrey, about designing a life. Too many options.