Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #81
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Oh - there is no question that we are TX residents since we lived here all our adult lives, never established residency in any other state
Oh! I didn't realize that. I remembered this post but now that I re-read it, that was just about your childhood. Oops! Well, anyway it could be an advantage to other RV'ers who haven't actually lived in Texas before.

P.S. - - does this mean that you don't have a New Zealand accent? I will have to stop reading your posts with that accent. Oh well - - as long as I can keep reading Alan's posts with a British accent, all is right with the world.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
You're right, Audrey, about designing a life. Too many options.
I found after a couple of years retired, that some of the options clearly became priorities, and others - well, sounded fun and were, but just weren't that important. I cut a lot of activities out after that to focus on the few that clearly were most important.

That was great, because I then got rid of a lot of stuff. It was like decluttering my life (with the major side benefit of decluttering stuff too).

Audrey

Old 11-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh! I didn't realize that. I remembered this post but now that I re-read it, that was just about your childhood. Oops! Well, anyway it could be an advantage to other RV'ers who haven't actually lived in Texas before.

P.S. - - does this mean that you don't have a New Zealand accent? I will have to stop reading your posts with that accent. Oh well - - as long as I can keep reading Alan's posts with a British accent, all is right with the world.
Yeah, we moved to TX just before my senior year in high school. DH is a native Texan born and raised in west TX.

New Zealand accent? Well, my sister does! And her husband more markedly (combo Australian/New Zealand). I have a definite southern US American accent.

When we first came to the states though, my accent was kind of Australian. I remember the other kids in high school saying: "Oh, you sound just like Olivia Newton John!". LOL!

Audrey
Old 11-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
we weren't really interested in condo or townhouse living due to privacy,
In my experience there is no greater anonymity to be found than in densely populated areas. We live within 15 feet of our neighbors (top to bottom) and nobody has a clue what we're doing. Mostly because they don't care. Meanwhile, our relatives are separated from their neighbors by acres and miles but the gossip regarding everyone's comings and goings is never ending.

If you truly want privacy, move somewhere where there are too many people to keep tabs on.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As a kid, later in college, and more school, and work..... I was attracted to some of everything. I can be happy in too many ways. Too many choices...
Same here. I can see the allure of different lifestyles, different locales, different ways of making a living. I also see their pros and cons. Am I wishy washy? Maybe, but it means that I also keep an open mind. Not everything that works for somebody else will work for us. But it might. So, I research and study it, then make my move. I never regret any choices that I have made in life. I did everything based on the best info I had at that time. Having the bewildering choices in front of me does not mean I am jumping from one to the next, changing my mind each day. Ironically, I have a big inertia that keeps me from making rash decisions.

Anyway, back to RV, just one of these days, I may stumble across an offer that is so good that I cannot refuse. Meanwhile, I just hang around here, talking about it. I have posted more these last few days because my wife has been busy being with her father in the hospital. Yes, he had to go back. When a person is that old, things do not get better.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

I see I am not alone in thinking about how to design my soon to be new life. I've been wanting to get rid of most of my stuff. I have spent way too many years storing stuff that I never use - because it could be useful. Time to stop that. I think my first project after retirement will be to do the big cleanout. It will feel so much better paring my stuff down to just that stuff I am actually using - now. It is has been feeling like a yoke for too long.

That development does look appealing in many ways. Why would people put guests into the RV? I thought there were so many ways ignorant and unthinking guests could make a mess of the RV systems. Seems like you would want to use the RV and have guests use the more familiar house facilities. But it could just be my ignorance.

I am also looking at class B van RVs and wondering if it will be something that will be worth the money spent on it. I don't quite understand why the smallest ones are so expensive. I can't imagine a single person with a couple-3 pets in tow needing more than that. I'm in the position of being able to afford whatever I really want in that area but not to waste the money on something I won't end up using a lot.

The Sprinter van is looking appealing. I'm wondering if a class B could work out to just being my only car after I retire. With only 1-2 weekly forays into town to get errands done and no more daily commuting, maybe it would suffice. If they really get 20-25 mpg, that is all I have ever gotten out of my Subaru so maybe it would be the future vehicle for me? As long as I can also get some 4x8 sheets of plywood into it also, so the design of them matters.

I don't want multiple vehicles if I can make it work. Expensive and they suffer from disuse. so many things to consider...
Old 11-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I am also looking at class B van RVs and wondering if it will be something that will be worth the money spent on it. I don't quite understand why the smallest ones are so expensive. I can't imagine a single person with a couple-3 pets in tow needing more than that. I'm in the position of being able to afford whatever I really want in that area but not to waste the money on something I won't end up using a lot.

The Sprinter van is looking appealing. I'm wondering if a class B could work out to just being my only car after I retire. With only 1-2 weekly forays into town to get errands done and no more daily commuting, maybe it would suffice. If they really get 20-25 mpg, that is all I have ever gotten out of my Subaru so maybe it would be the future vehicle for me? As long as I can also get some 4x8 sheets of plywood into it also, so the design of them matters.

I don't want multiple vehicles if I can make it work. Expensive and they suffer from disuse. so many things to consider...
You could also have a custom job done. There are companies out there that specialize in doing exactly that, like Sportsmobile. They will even trick out your van to your specs, although they will also buy a chassis and put a standard floorplan on it if you wish.

Personally, I would think seriously about that route. The other possibility that comes to mind would be to look into converting one of the Ford Transit Connect vans to your liking. They are compact, have enormous interior space considering their size, and should be quite economical to buy and run. I would be willing to bet that Sportsmobile would even entertain the idea of taking on such a project. Of course, if you are handy you could do this yourself. If you search the web there are lotrs of these conversions running around the UK and Europe, where these vans have been available and common for years.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Tesaje, I don't think those can get 20-25mpg. It's more like 18 mpg with the diesel engine, and then probably only for highway driving. Still, it would make a good only transportation for a retiree. I have been pondering these very same issues.

By the way, my calico cat looks like yours in the avatar. But then, they so look somewhat alike, don't they?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I don't want multiple vehicles either. But I have a reliable 9 year old Honda with 70,000 miles and no problems, and it still gets 31 mpgs. It's hard to swallow getting rid of.......

Otherwise, I'm looking at owning two homes and two vehicles, and turning into a person I don't recognize.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Otherwise, I'm looking at owning two homes and two vehicles, and turning into a person I don't recognize.
A person who is now enjoying the fruit of her labor, something she has saved to savor later in her retirement?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If they really get 20-25 mpg, that is all I have ever gotten out of my Subaru so maybe it would be the future vehicle for me?
I would, also, be suspicious of those numbers -- particularly if you do much start/stop driving. I can get over 16 MPG on the highway (say 300-400 miles at 65 MPH) but it don't take much city driving to bring the average down to 13. Granted, I have the biggest, heaviest Roadtrek and run on gasoline but the principle will be the same. Again, I voice my concern about the 3/4 ton chassis and that heighth as opposed to my one-ton chassis and lower profile.

Quote:
As long as I can also get some 4x8 sheets of plywood into it also, so the design of them matters.
These vehicles are not designed for hauling consruction material, they are build to be lived in. I could not get a 4x8 sheet of anything in ours.

On the other hand, I have met a large number of folks who's RT is the family vehicle -- never heard any complaints.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #92
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post

Again, I voice my concern about the 3/4 ton chassis and that heighth as opposed to my one-ton chassis and lower profile.
Could you explain this concern -- or point me to where you said it before? I need to learn more.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Could you explain this concern -- or point me to where you said it before? I need to learn more.
My concern is contained in that statement (the 3/4 ton chassis and that heighth as opposed to my one-ton chassis and lower profile). No scientific evidence involved only irrational thinking I suppose.''

Oh! There have been so many threads... I don't remember where I said things

Click on "Search" at the top of the page and put in Roadtrek would give you a good start. I, for instance, found this that way:

Any Experience With Class B RV's?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

I did not see Tesaje's comment about cargo space with a class B until RonBoyd answered it. But that is not insurmountable. You can pull a small 4x8 open trailer to haul whatever you need. It is lower and easier to load than a pickup truck, and more economical than having a pickup just for those rare occasions that you need it.

About towing capacity of these, I have seen a snowbird pulling a small car behind his Winnebago View (or a Sprinter chassis look-alike), so I looked up its rating. It's 3,500 lbs, so certainly usable with an open trailer or small car.

I like these small class Bs a lot, but must overcome their high price and my wife's resistance. I still work part-time but she doesn't, hence she has become more spending-averse. She does not see the recreational benefits as outweighting the risks of having to come back to work, hence I must convince her otherwise or wait until the market improves further. "It's OK. It's less than one annual SWR". She still doesn't buy it.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
In my experience there is no greater anonymity to be found than in densely populated areas. We live within 15 feet of our neighbors (top to bottom) and nobody has a clue what we're doing. Mostly because they don't care. Meanwhile, our relatives are separated from their neighbors by acres and miles but the gossip regarding everyone's comings and goings is never ending.

If you truly want privacy, move somewhere where there are too many people to keep tabs on.
I am actually not looking for anonymity, just privacy in terms of space separation from neighbors, own personal outdoors space, and no shared walls.

There will be little anonymity in my new neighborhood. We all have way too much in common especially our histories: all retired couples and ex-fulltimers? Sheesh!

Audrey
Old 11-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That development does look appealing in many ways. Why would people put guests into the RV? I thought there were so many ways ignorant and unthinking guests could make a mess of the RV systems. Seems like you would want to use the RV and have guests use the more familiar house facilities. But it could just be my ignorance.
Well, ultimately this would be judged on a case-by-case basis.

But once the RV is parked, hooked up and slides out, there aren't too many ways to mess it up. The most challenging issue would be the marine toilet, and that's pretty basic. We would take care of dumping tanks, etc. and make sure they were empty ahead of time.

Plus there is a guest bathroom close by - just across the courtyard. Someone can use house plumbing if they prefer.

I expect part of it is that younger folks such as grandchildren are the more common guests in this development, so they get sent out to the RV.

Audrey
Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I expect part of it is that younger folks such as grandchildren are the more common guests in this development, so they get sent out to the RV.
Audrey, you say that as if it is a negative. My grandkids love sleeping in grandpa's bus.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Audrey, you say that as if it is a negative. My grandkids love sleeping in grandpa's bus.
Nope - don't mean it as a negative. I actually think it would be a positive adventure for any of my visiting family members.

I bet your grandkids DO love it. I bet a lot of folks grandkids would. Almost as good as camping out in the backyard!

Audrey
Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It is neat although I do have a couple of issues with it. First, it does not show every RV park in the area. I estimate it captures only 75-80%. Second, the location shown for the park is often not very accurate. You need to go to some other source to confirm.
still what an excellent first tool to use... i am still a year away from fulltiming but this tool has been duly bookmarked...
Old 06-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Wrote a big check today. Closed on the house.

See Audrey becomes a Landscape Designer for pictures.

Audrey