Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #101
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wrote a big check today. Closed on the house.

See http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ner-50758.html for pictures.

Audrey
Congratulations! Great concept, and an excellent job on your landscape design and execution. I have been poring over this thread, and the links you posted. Very informative. Wish I could find something similar to this on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington; it would make my ER plans a little simpler...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Audrey, congrats on being the proud owner of a sticks n' bricks (OK, sticks n' stucco) house once again. Looks like a great place!

Still not sure why you built it in Texas, but hey, to each his own.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Congratulations! Great concept, and an excellent job on your landscape design and execution. I have been poring over this thread, and the links you posted. Very informative. Wish I could find something similar to this on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington; it would make my ER plans a little simpler...
What they have done here is pretty unique, which is one (of many) reasons we bought in. I don't know if such a design will become more popular across the country. It's hard to say.

But adding a nice big concrete RV pad with full hookups to an existing lot is probably not too hard if you have the space. But sometimes you run into all sorts of covenant restrictions.

We love the Olympic Peninsula area!

Audrey
Old 06-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Audrey, congrats on being the proud owner of a sticks n' bricks (OK, sticks n' stucco) house once again. Looks like a great place!

Still not sure why you built it in Texas, but hey, to each his own.
Well, to tell you the truth, we are pretty much "stuck" as TX residents until Medicare age. But since any winter place has to be south of I-10 in our opinion, there aren't that many choices anyway.

Oh wait - the TX defamation league: We must have been crazy to settle down here. It hit 100 degrees today! What were we thinking!!!!!

Audrey
Old 06-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #105
gone traveling

Quote:
What they have done here is pretty unique, which is one (of many) reasons we bought in. I don't know if such a design will become more popular across the country. It's hard to say.

But adding a nice big concrete RV pad with full hookups to an existing lot is probably not too hard if you have the space. But sometimes you run into all sorts of covenant restrictions.

We love the Olympic Peninsula area!

Audrey
We considered doing a set-up like you just built, land/development costs wouldn't be too bad. Our biggest issue is security, especially when we are away... would be nice to be in a gated community of like-minded individuals who keep an eye out for each other...The RV lifestyle is appealing, but we still want a place to come "home" to. (well, two actually- one on the OP and one in AZ, for summer/winter.)
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It hit 100 degrees today! What were we thinking!!!!!
No matter where you go...

It was 101° (in the shade) at our house in Denver today -- I think the "official" will be in the 97°/98° area (still not officially "high" yet). On the other hand, the 7% humidity, and no wind, is making it rather pleasant on the patio... or is that the Margarita?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
No matter where you go...

It was 101° (in the shade) at our house in Denver today -- I think the "official" will be in the 97°/98° area (still not officially "high" yet). On the other hand, the 7% humidity, and no wind, is making it rather pleasant on the patio... or is that the Margarita?
Hmmm - our humidity was only 35% which is really pretty low.

The climate here is a little strange. The humidity can be quite high in the morning, but often drops to quite low in the afternoon which means you feel OK in the shade, and makes the evenings very comfortable.

Audrey
Old 06-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #108
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! It really looks like an ideal choice and the landscaping just adds to it . Enjoy !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmm - our humidity was only 35% which is really pretty low.

The climate here is a little strange. The humidity can be quite high in the morning, but often drops to quite low in the afternoon which means you feel OK in the shade, and makes the evenings very comfortable.
You know, of course, that you are painting a pretty compelling picture of that area. I look forward to checking it out. I somewhat agree with the south of I-10 rule. Hmmmmm. If I didn't know about Denver...
Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You know, of course, that you are painting a pretty compelling picture of that area. I look forward to checking it out. I somewhat agree with the south of I-10 rule. Hmmmmm. If I didn't know about Denver...
Well - I would have to say that this area is will only appeal to some. If you need a winter place, it's pretty good and inexpensive and has a nice "tropical" feel. But it's also very flat, has several very busy urban areas in a tight corridor, and is a little "foreign" in that being such a high % hispanic community it is very unlike the rest of the US. We find the latter charming, whereas some folks might find it to be a little too unusual to feel comfortable.

The winter texans love it down here, but they all flee when the heat builds in late spring.

Audrey
Old 06-26-2010, 06:44 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

What I should have said was "a compelling picture despite your attempts to discourage."

Old 06-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What I should have said was "a compelling picture despite your attempts to discourage."

Hey, I have obligations to the Texas Defamation League! ReWahoo gets after me otherwise

Audrey
Old 06-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #113
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, I have obligations to the Texas Defamation League! ReWahoo gets after me otherwise.
Yep. I have my own personal 'truth in advertising' watch group...
Old 06-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #114
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. I have my own personal 'truth in advertising' watch group...
This just in from the PNW chapter:

We will (barely) break 60F today...

DD
Old 06-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
This just in from the PNW chapter:
We will (barely) break 60F today...
DD
Heck, we haven't broken 60F around here in a couple months!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Same here!

Audrey
Old 06-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Does at night count?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

A chilly 83F here, with a DP of 69...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Well we moved in yesterday. Moving in consisted of backing the motorhome into our covered parking and plugging it in to power!

As you can see, we need every bit of the 60 ft covered parking we had built. We extended the standard length from 50ft to 70 ft total which includes the 10 ft storage room at the back of the covered parking.

Now we're keeping an eye on Tropical Storm Alex. I'm just hoping it doesn't come and ruin all my brand new landscaping. If things look really threatening, the rig is ready to roll.....

Audrey
Old 06-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #120
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations!
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote