Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good luck, I hope all your new landscaping can handle the rough weather.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We made it to Choke Canyon TX, (near Three Rivers TX).
Hey, it's not a total loss. You could surf the greater metropolitan Choke Canyon Craigslist, shop for a few furniture bargains or kitchen tools, and haul them home in the Class A!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hey, it's not a total loss. You could surf the greater metropolitan Choke Canyon Craigslist, shop for a few furniture bargains or kitchen tools, and haul them home in the Class A!
Well, if we had gotten closer to San Antonio, we would have done just that. But late Tuesday, as it appeared that Alex would come in south of the border we decided not to go as far. It looked like the bad weather was going to extend all the way to Dallas anyway, so we just needed to get out of the tropical storm warning area to avoid high winds.

Choke Canyon is out in the middle of nowhere - not craigs list around here! The cellphone-based internet is very flaky. But the State Park has raised paved roads and paved RV sites and is off a good state highway - important considerations when there might be heavy rain.

We're busy finishing our taxes anyway, now that we finally closed.

Audrey
Old 07-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

We made it back yesterday. We're glad we didn't go all the way to San Antonio and further north, because they were just hammered with rain yesterday. We managed to miss most of it.

Everything was fine back in the neighborhood. They'd already had at least 24 hours to dry out, but there wasn't even as much standing water as the last storm we had. I'm not sure we got all the 7.5 inches reported for the area.

The grass and plants look very happy.

Audrey
Old 07-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We made it back yesterday. We're glad we didn't go all the way to San Antonio and further north, because they were just hammered with rain yesterday.
Yes we were.

Glad to hear all is well back at your bus shed.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yes we were.

Glad to hear all is well back at your bus shed.
Thanks!

We were at least expecting to have to shovel some mud off our parking area as there is a large earth pile next door, but none of that flowed in our direction, and all the concrete around the house was sparkling clean! In fact we've never seen the back patio so clean.

Audrey
Old 07-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Wonderful!! Glad to hear it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

We were camping on the Emerald Coast (Topsail/Grayton/Destin area) last week and got soaked with outer bands from Alex, too. Still managed to have an enjoyable week, but without the beach time. NO sign of oil or tar so far.

For those who enjoy the "new urbanism" type communities, Seaside is very interesting though a bit densely developed than some others. But that is a beautiful part of the state if you like beach living.

This was our first trip towing the car and there was nothing to it. We're beginning to think about a longer RV trip in the fall, maybe 6-8 weeks or so., I10 to Tucson, then Vegas, Central Valley of Ca, and then SF Bay near the kids.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
We were camping on the Emerald Coast (Topsail/Grayton/Destin area) last week and got soaked with outer bands from Alex, too. Still managed to have an enjoyable week, but without the beach time. NO sign of oil or tar so far.

For those who enjoy the "new urbanism" type communities, Seaside is very interesting though a bit densely developed than some others. But that is a beautiful part of the state if you like beach living.

This was our first trip towing the car and there was nothing to it. We're beginning to think about a longer RV trip in the fall, maybe 6-8 weeks or so., I10 to Tucson, then Vegas, Central Valley of Ca, and then SF Bay near the kids.
We've enjoyed camping at Topsail Hill State RV Resort a couple of times. Beautiful beaches and area and very nice camping.

Glad the towing went easy. The main trick is to get a system down, and then you get pretty fast at hooking and unhooking, as well as minimizing errors. Usually takes 2 adults, but I see a lot where just one person does it. It is so nice having a car available.

Audrey
Old 07-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #150

Audrey,

I see on the news that there is serious flooding on the Rio Grande. What's your elevation compared to the river? It looks like you're not that far away and Texas sure is flat.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Audrey,

I see on the news that there is serious flooding on the Rio Grande. What's your elevation compared to the river? It looks like you're not that far away and Texas sure is flat.
I wrote about our historic river flooding here: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ing-51088.html

Yep - first a hurricane, and then a tropical depression, and then historic (4- year!) flooding on the Rio Grande. All within the first two weeks of moving in!

US Govt is sending National Guard troops down to the TX border Aug 1 to supplement the local law enforcement and border patrol. (Actually - this is great news).

So what else can I expect?.....

Audrey

P.S. Not all of TX is flat at all, we even have a mountain >8000 feet - but it sure is flat around here (river delta).
Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #152

Flood insurance?
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Flood insurance?
Not yet....

Audrey
Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
(Actually - this is great news).
Unless, of course, you happen to be in the National Guard.

Or in local law enforcement or border patrol.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote