Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
........... A single, older woman with rudimentary knowledge of car fixing really needs something, and, even tho there are some complaints from others, what else it out there?
Can't vouch for it, but it sounds interesting.

Better World Club - Roadside Assistance, Insurance and Travel

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

After all of the good info, I'm just about to sign up for the AARP plan. Thanks. If the 5 mile towing is a show stopper, they have an more comprehensive policy that is similar to AAA's, but still much cheaper (think it's $70). My State Farm has a towing clause that is about 10 bucks a year, but think I'll still go for the AARP road side assistance for $37 to cover anything else and have some peace of mind while travelling.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:59 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been with AAA in Illinois 4 years now. I just paid last month $50 for the year. FYI.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #44

Just did a check of USAA's roadside assistance cost for me since I will need to get it when I come off of the 4 years Automakers Roadside Assistance later this year. Cost to add it to my policy will be $6.72 per 6 month period (about $1.12 per month). MUCH lower than AAA and AARP AND they would be liable for any damages incurred while being towed, on or off loaded, seems cheap and simple to me.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #45

If you are looking for a program to save you money on towing, then 5 miles is a pretty short distance unless you spend most all your time in a city. OTOH, if you are mostly willing to pay for tows but just want a service that will respond to your call, then the low limit may work in your favor. A tow operator with a 5 mile limit will charge extra for any extra distance, so it can be more worthwhile to respond to those calls first. YMMV.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #46
Confused about dryer sheets

AAA is worth the money. It pays for itself, besides like men, women don't like to change tires. I travel a lot of long scenic trips across country and it gives me peace of mine to know that I can call a dispatcher and they have the number of a tow truck in Nowhere, USA and hopefully, they won't rip me off.

We are always using the travel tiks (though now we have GPS so that will change), but we will still get the maps (GPS is not infallible). Also the travel books have valuable information. Though the AARP rate is generally as cheap as the AAA rate at hotels. There are some museums that only take the AAA.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #47

Re: USAA
Has anyone had any problems at all with USAA? I have one of their credit cards, and am thinking of checking into them for insurance needs next time, and then will check into the roadside assistance. Any problems at all?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Has anyone had any problems at all with USAA?
I used USAA Roadside Assist a few years ago for a tow of about 15 miles or so. Took about an hour for the towing truck to arrive. They hauled me and my car to the nearest dealer (about 15 miles) all for no cost. DW picked me up at the dealer about 30 minutes later. I picked up the car the next day. This is about what I expected for $2 each six months in premium.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote