Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I quit all activities because I "didn't like the politics", I'd have to move to a desert isle...

Have contemplated joining, but the cost/benefit is questionable, and not particularly compelling. As for the marketing/junkmail, about 99% of my snailmail goes directly from the mailbox to the recycling bin...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If I quit all activities because I "didn't like the politics", I'd have to move to a desert isle...

Have contemplated joining, but the cost/benefit is questionable, and not particularly compelling. As for the marketing/junkmail, about 99% of my snailmail goes directly from the mailbox to the recycling bin...
If you had a wood burning stove, it might tip the scales.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

AARP seems to be a front for it's commercial marketing, credit card, insurance and mutual fund operations. Ever wonder why they charge so little to become a member?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
..........Ever wonder why they charge so little to become a member?
I thought that they just felt sorry for old people.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought a 5 yr membership for $60 and will see if I save that much over the time, otherwise I'll not renew.

I did save $4 at Denny's and $15 on a hotel room, but don't really go to those restaurants, and if I have a coupon I don't think I can use it at the restaurant so the value of the discount is either less or reduced.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

If it was still what it set out to be, the American Association of Retired Persons, it might be very different from what it is today. In 1999, it changed its name to simply AARP, no longer an acronym and standing for nothing.

AARP has a lot of critics, and its Wikipedia article points out some things that are troubling to me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARP

I joined when I turned 50, but throughout my years of membership I barely broke even between membership cost and discounts used. I also got rather annoyed at their increasingly strident tone in political issues, so I dropped my membership a number of years ago.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If it was still what it set out to be, the American Association of Retired Persons, it might be very different from what it is today. In 1999, it changed its name to simply AARP, no longer an acronym and standing for nothing.

They keep referring to "Real Possibilities", but no indication of what the AA part might mean anymore.

I'm 63 and have been throwing out their mailings for years. DH had to join to get the United Healthcare Medicare supplement. I have to admit I do read their interviews with baby-boomer rock Stars and other celebrities.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #28
gone traveling

AARP and the equivalent here in Canada, CARP are in business to earn a paycheque for themselves. It's as simple as that as far as I am concerned. They may profess to use the money they generate to further the 'interests of those over age X' but really, they are just a bunch of people looking to earn a living like anyone else. What tells me that is their age limit for membership. It's certainly not limited to Senior Citizens is it. They give themselves as big a market to draw membership fees from as they can get away with.

As for supposed 'discount benefits', I find that a joke. Anywhere that offers a discount if you have a AARP membership card will most likely offer you that same discount if you have a Drivers License that shows your birthdate on it. Check any hotel website for example and you will see where you can tick a box for 'AARP, AAA, or Senior. The discount is the same for all.

One thing I have learned since becoming a 'senior citizen' is that you have to learn to ask for a discount. I just love saying to a hotel desk clerk, 'what's the lowest price you can offer to an old geezer like me on a fixed pension?'

So what do I think of AARP/CARP? Well it's a good way to make a living for those who work there. But for me, it's a joke. I can do as well or better negotiating prices on my own.

And as for the political aspects, I can write to my government representative myself if something annoys me enough and I have an idea that it would take less constituents writing directly to get their attention than the weight AARP/CARP could ever throw around.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We have an AAA card to get hotel discounts, etc.

Doesn't AARP sell Medicare supplement insurance? Is it a good deal?
Old 01-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Yes, they do, and we've been happy with DH's supplement through United Healthcare. I agree with you on the AAA card, though. We use ours to get hotel discounts and they're the same as what you'd get with an AARP card.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW joined about 12 years ago, and we use when we can get a discount. However we often get a military discount and there are lots of AAA discounts. I wonder how many places will give you one but not the others. Home Depot used to make you sign up for a loyalty card to get a military discount, but they have stopped that, now I just show ID card and get the discount. I don't like the politics either but I also don't want to get DW mad by asking her to cancel due to my politics.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #32
Administrator

My (dear, departed) mother thought it would be a great joke to sign me up for AARP in the summer of 1998, as a 50th birthday present.

I never renewed but have been getting mailings from them every few weeks since then. The only time I tried to use one of their discounts was at a motel, and it turned out that I was eligible for another discount that was better.

I am retired but I don't feel the represent me or my interests.

Retired in 2009 at age 61.

Mini-pension 13%, SS 20%, investments 67%.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #33

I'll give AARP credit for one thing: they do respect the Direct Marketer's Association junk mail opt out (dmachoice).

I signed up with dma choice to reduce junk mail. It helped, but doesn't stop it all. Interestingly, AARP completely avoids me and DW. Zero mailings from them.

I won't join AARP because I didn't like the interactions I saw between them and my parents.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #34

Quote:

AARP doesn't sell anything but their mailing list. They are paid a fee to "license" their logo. Whether the United Health Ins is a good deal depends on the rates in your state.

AARP does three things: acts as lobbyist, licenses the use of their name, siphons 'profits' to a foundation that supports seniors in need of financial assistance or other low-income programs.

-- Rita
Old 01-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Here's a bit more on AARPs commercial side...I wonder where all of that cash goes?

Quote:
AARP Financial Services Corporation, a for-profit corporation that holds AARP's
real estate; and AARP Services Inc, a for-profit corporation that provides
quality control and research.[1][5] According
to AARP's 2008 Consolidated financial statements, AARP Services Inc. was paid
$652,000,000 in royalties from insurance companies that sold products referred
by AARP. AARP also received an additional $120,000,000 for the advertisements
placed in its publications.[6]

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

My father purchased his medicare supplement insurance through AARP and was always very happy with it. My parents were divorced but maintained a civil relationship and he talked my mother into purchasing their insurance as well.

My mother is now in a nursing home and I pay all of her bills. Her AARP supplemental insurance is well managed and I think competitive with other offerings.

I plan to consider this insurance in a few years when I need it and I will join AARP if necessary to take advantage of it.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikechuck View Post
My father purchased his medicare supplement insurance through AARP and was always very happy with it. My parents were divorced but maintained a civil relationship and he talked my mother into purchasing their insurance as well.

My mother is now in a nursing home and I pay all of her bills. Her AARP supplemental insurance is well managed and I think competitive with other offerings.

I plan to consider this insurance in a few years when I need it and I will join AARP if necessary to take advantage of it.
My experience is many other insurance companies (BC/BS, USAA, etc.) offer competitive, well -managed Medicare supplemental policies. No need to join AARP just to get insurance.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

Old 01-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Here's a bit more on AARPs commercial side...I wonder where all of that cash goes?

Seems pretty clear from that that members are a captive audience who PAY them for the privilege of being a captive audience for products to be marketed to. That's hilarious.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:10 PM   #39

I wasn't too crazy about joining, but discovered that Walgreens gave me a membership with their rewards programs. They gave me a form to fill out and mail in to AARP and it worked. We just got our cards.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I wasn't too crazy about joining, but discovered that Walgreens gave me a membership with their rewards programs. They gave me a form to fill out and mail in to AARP and it worked.
Ooh, we'll have to try that for DH. Anything to save a few bucks!