Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:05 AM   #41
gone traveling

Is that a lifetime membership Ally or a 'first year free' membership and you pay after that? Either way, you are now on their marketing database and subject to what that means.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I thought that they just felt sorry for old people.
Those old people are just moving targets. Slow moving targets, but with cash in hand.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I just turned 50 in October but I don't get any of it. I also haven't joined; I have some philosophical and political issues with them that I won't get into here. I guess you have to join to get a lot of it. I sort mail in the mornings so I know there is a LOT of it going out a lot of the time.
Also the reason I never joined. I recently heard of AMAC as an alternative. Anyone a member of that?
Old 01-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I dig my AARP membership
Old 01-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I joined AMAC instead- it's the conservative version of AARP.

All you need to get most senior discounts on things is your ID with your date of birth on it.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #46

It was a one year deal and was from a form I got at the counter near the register. I have gotten some good hotel deals with it, slightly lower than AAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-24-2016, 04:38 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

My complaint with AARP is with respect to taxing social security benefits, they haven't lobbied, and don't appear to be pushing, to get a couple's, or individual's for the matter, combined income (SS plus other income) indexed for inflation.
Here is a direct quote from Social Security's official website.

"No one pays federal income tax on more than 85 percent of his or her Social Security benefits based on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules. If you file a joint return, and you and your spouse have a combined income* that is
between $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits
more than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.
*Your adjusted gross income
+ Nontaxable interest
+ ½ of your Social Security benefits
= Your "combined income"
Old 01-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
My complaint with AARP is with respect to taxing social security benefits, they haven't lobbied, and don't appear to be pushing, to get a couple's, or individual's for the matter, combined income (SS plus other income) indexed for inflation.
Inflation is the easiest way to increase taxes with no political backlash.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Old story & new story. Back in 1997, I was 48 and AARP sent me a membership application. Sent them the check for $10 (I think), and laughingly told the wife they'll have to send my check back because I'm not 50 yet. They kept the check and I became a member at age 48. Kept it about 10 years, but like others, didn't like their politics and the yearly membership increases, do I dropped it.

Fast forward to this year: wife's (she retired in 2003) mega-corp and Anthem (the insurance we've had through her mega-corp for 43 years), sent us a letter kicking us to the curb and said we've have to get new insurance. Mega-corp is paying $2850 to each person for insurance premium reimbursement--but we have to go through a middle-man called One-Exchange (Towers-Watson). The best deals they had for supplemental insurance and Part D were through AARP / United Health,so I had to become an AARP member again. Have to admit that with the signing up and everything, was pretty impressed how fast they answered the phone and the fact that you got to talk to a real person and they were pretty knowledgable. Right before 2016, we hit the dentist, did checkups, and loaded up on all our prescription medicine, so time will tell when we start using the new insurance how things are working out.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I get lots of savings by getting my car and dental insurances through companies requiring AARP membership.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:36 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been a member of AARP for a few years now and actually like them. I like to read their news prints and enjoy their discounts. We use consumer cellular and get an AARP discount on the service.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If I quit all activities because I "didn't like the politics", I'd have to move to a desert isle...

+ 1

Fascinating graphics show who owns all the major brands in the world

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 07-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I am kind of digging them. Signed up about a month ago. I got $200 off my glasses, $30 off the eye exam, used some of their grocery coupons for another $5 or so and they sent me a marginally useful travel bag, all for $16.99.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If I quit all activities because I "didn't like the politics", I'd have to move to a desert isle...

Have contemplated joining, but the cost/benefit is questionable, and not particularly compelling. As for the marketing/junkmail, about 99% of my snailmail goes directly from the mailbox to the recycling bin...
Old 07-21-2016, 07:30 PM   #55
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I've been getting unsolicited mailings from AARP for as long as I can remember. Generally they just get tossed, but hey, I'm almost retired now.

What services, products, or otherwise useful tidbits do YOU get from AARP?
none. They finally gave up on me after age 62-65.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
none. They finally gave up on me after age 62-65.
You must not wear glasses, use toothpaste, deordorant, paper napkins, window cleaner, razors, toilet paper or travel then. I found discounts on all of these without changing my buying behavior. Your results may favor.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

We just signed up to get the Consumer Cellular discount and I used one of their local dining coupons for 1/2 off a restaurant meal. I think we will more than break even this year from those two discounts alone since it didn't cost much to join.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 07-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I am kind of digging them. Signed up about a month ago. I got $200 off my glasses, $30 off the eye exam, used some of their grocery coupons for another $5 or so and they sent me a marginally useful travel bag, all for $16.99.
Sounds good. Where on their site are the eye exam discounts? I need to do that this year.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:57 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I began receiving mail from AARP 3 years ago when I first turned 50. I threw them out always but last year I decided to join after the mailings dropped the one-year rate and they offered to send me a free small carrying pouch, which I soon received and has been quite handy.

But I derive no other benefits from being a member. Their newsletters and bulletins have nothing of interest, they take me about 2 minutes to skim through before I toss them out. So, when my renewal came up last month, I began getting renewal offers from them at least once a week, all of which I tossed out. I even got a dang robocall from AARP reminding me to renew! AARGH! I hope they give up soon or else I will have to call them and tell them to stop calling me and mailing me stuff which only goes into my paper shredder. (And I have been receiving less junk mail lately, so this is a step backward - note to self to call GEICO and get them to stop mailing me their crappola every week.)
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 07-22-2016, 05:10 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Sounds good. Where on their site are the eye exam discounts? I need to do that this year.
I just asked my eye doctor and she said yes, just show me the card. Boom, $30 off.
Closed Thread