Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

AARP
Old 01-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

AARP

I've been getting unsolicited mailings from AARP for as long as I can remember. Generally they just get tossed, but hey, I'm almost retired now.

What services, products, or otherwise useful tidbits do YOU get from AARP?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I've been getting unsolicited mailings from AARP for as long as I can remember. Generally they just get tossed, but hey, I'm almost retired now.

What services, products, or otherwise useful tidbits do YOU get from AARP?
It's all junk mail, but if you have "the card", you can get 15% off at Denney's!
Old 01-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #3

AARP has a 10% discount on Kindles I almost used once. Offer Detail

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 01-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

It's all junk mail. I finally got them to remove my email address from their data base.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenhardt View Post
It's all junk mail. I finally got them to remove my email address from their data base.
If anyone is concerned about the health of the U.S. Postal Service, just sign up for AARP. The amount of junk mail generated by that one action should keep the USPS in business for years and years.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 01-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #6

15% off at Outback Steakhouse.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 01-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #7

I finally signed up last year because a couple of hotels I was planning on staying at gave AARP members a 10% discount. I then got a great deal on the rental car going through AARP. They have a bunch of restaurants that give you a discount though we haven't dined in any of them yet. Check out the perks on their site.

Their mailings are junk, but you can bring them down to a manageable level by deselecting all the mailing options online.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
Administrator

10% off your monthly ATT wireless Bill. I have an existing wireless account so simply walked into my local store and they applied the discount. (I couldn't figure out how to do it online )

Having un-subscribed from everything I actually get very little AARP junk mail these days.

https://www.wireless.att.com/busines...IR45L6400arp00
Old 01-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I finally signed up last year because a couple of hotels I was planning on staying at gave AARP members a 10% discount. I then got a great deal on the rental car going through AARP. They have a bunch of restaurants that give you a discount though we haven't dined in any of them yet. Check out the perks on their site.

Their mailings are junk, but you can bring them down to a manageable level by deselecting all the mailing options online.
Lots of places will give you an AARP discount if you ask without verifying membership. Just look kinda old and grumpy.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
15% off at Outback Steakhouse.
I didn't know about that benny. There's one nearby that DW likes so we're there a few times a year. That alone would make the membership worthwhile.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Lots of places will give you an AARP discount if you ask without verifying membership. Just look kinda old and grumpy.
I'm ER'd and have forgotten how to look grumpy. Now, old I can do.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I just turned 50 in October but I don't get any of it. I also haven't joined; I have some philosophical and political issues with them that I won't get into here. I guess you have to join to get a lot of it. I sort mail in the mornings so I know there is a LOT of it going out a lot of the time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
...I have some philosophical and political issues with them that I won't get into here. ...
We were members for about 5 years and decided that it wasn't worth the money and we got too much junk mail from them. We also have AAA and the discounts generally overlap a lot. Quit principally because I don't like their politics. Don't miss them one bit.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I get discounts from some motels and restaurants, 5% off Consumer Cellular, and 20% off at Walgreen's sometimes. That said, I dislike their politics. But I'm still a member for the discounts.The CC phone discount pays more than double the annual AARP fee. And they do check your membership to give the discount, but motels don't.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I have some philosophical and political issues with them that I won't get into here.
I have "a friend" who tells them directly what he thinks of them--he writes it right on whatever they sent him in bold red pen and puts it into the business reply envelope the sent him so AARP pays the return postage. It's a big win for everyone: They get feedback, he gets to vent his spleen, the AARP coffers are reduced a tiny amount so they can do less mischief, the USPS is supported. And maybe they'll send out less junk mail (I've noticed some of their mailers now require you to put a stamp on 'em. I wonder why . . .)
Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 PM   #16

Unlimited supply of offers for overpriced insurance. They send them frequently. Even if you let your membership lapse.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:07 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

It's a marketing organization--selling your name to marketers.
They also get a cut of insurance premiums and other services their members subscribe to with the name AARP on it.
And they're a political organization--supporting political parties, candidates and subjects I don't agree with.
It's not a good company-- I'll leave it at that.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
10% off your monthly ATT wireless Bill. I have an existing wireless account so simply walked into my local store and they applied the discount. (I couldn't figure out how to do it online )

Having un-subscribed from everything I actually get very little AARP junk mail these days.

https://www.wireless.att.com/busines...IR45L6400arp00
+1. Me too. Almost impossible online and my first attempt in the office didn't work. But now getting 10% on my cell bill. It's only $10 but...better in my pocket than theirs!

While not a fan of AARP in general I also just signed up for a water main line insurance they offer (protects us if the line from the main to the house breaks...we have a 110 year old line and it's 'due') for $2 a month.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The Magazines(s). (FWIW, I only subscribe to one other -- Sound & Vision.)

We have been a member of AARP for around 20 years and get many discounts from many suppliers. I don't remember the last time I got any (what could be called) "junk" mail from them but it has been over ten years.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:26 AM   #20
gone traveling

They count your membership to say how many people back their political causes. I refuse to have my money spent that way.
Closed Thread