Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a member, and it's worth it to me just for the magazines.

And I guess I agree more than disagree with their positions in lobbying, so that doesn't trouble me.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
And I guess I agree more than disagree with their positions in lobbying, so that doesn't trouble me.
I'm in about the same boat regarding their political views. Despite the fact they support some position or the other I disagree with from time to time, overall when I look at their activities as a package, I'm glad they're there doing what they're doing. Since membership cost is nominal, I keep mine active just to help give them percieved clout with our wonderful politicians.

It's kind of like supporting public broadcasting........ I don't agree with everything our local PBS affiliates do, and I realize I don't have to contribute, but overall I'm glad they're there, so I contribute.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I don't agree with their political agenda, therefore, I choose not to support them.
They are for gun control and I am not so I won't join.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
When I turned 50 a dozen years ago or so, I received an AARP membership opportunity, which I declined and deposited in file 13. Over the next 9 years I received more opportunities to join their little marketing list for only $10. After receiving the 10th application, I returned it to them and wrote something like "What part of no return do you not understand? Take me off of your marketing list." Have not been offered an opportunity to join again.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Isn't AARP the biggest lobbying group in America with the NRA (National Rifle Assn.) being second?
Quote:
Originally Posted by template View Post
One of the reasons I continue to renew is that they sometimes, not always, lobby the government for issues important to retirees. That remains important during this era when the politicians talk about cutting SS, Medicare, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I'm a member, and it's worth it to me just for the magazines.

And I guess I agree more than disagree with their positions in lobbying, so that doesn't trouble me.Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I'm in about the same boat regarding their political views. Despite the fact they support some position or the other I disagree with from time to time, overall when I look at their activities as a package, I'm glad they're there doing what they're doing.
I'm a member of both AARP and the NRA. I don't agree with either of them 100% on everything, but I agree with both of them most of the time. I expect them both, to use my contributions to lobby for what I believe in. Just like the 30+ years I was a Union member, I didn't agree 100% with their agenda all of the time, but I agreed most of the time.

I don't lay all of the lobbying responsibilities on AARP or the NRA, I still write my senators and representatives (as well as city & county officials) and voice my opinions and concerns! But, hey, if a few bucks a year can buy me the lobbying power of those 2 organizations, I'll pony up!

Beside, I like the magazines of both orgs!

(BTW, I signed up online for AARP membership last year, just after midnight ON my 50th birthday! I didn't wait to get their 'invite'.)

Personally, I recommend membership.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I want SS & Medicare......AND my S&W .357 magnum......to be there when I need them!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Count me out...
Old 01-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Count me out...

...they've been hounding my wife and I for years, but like many others here we would never join based solely on their politics. Every position I've seen them take is so ardently for seniors with no regard whatsoever for the impact on any other generations might be. It's an entitlement mentality that no generation is entitled to, like most entitlements IMHO.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Looks like I'm in the minority here. I joined maybe 5 - 6 years ago. I plan to renew -- I do skim the magazine and occasionally use an AARP discount at motel.

Also - twice yearly there is an outlet mall shoe store that discounts 30-50% for AARP members over and above any other discounts. Wife and I usually buy two pair each and that more than makes up for cost of membership.

Rick
rickier55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #28

Rick, a few years ago I checked into a motel and the attendant asked me if I belonged to any agency that would provide a discount. I told her AARP and she gave me the small discount. Then I took out my AmEx card to pay and the discount was $20 higher with AmEx than AARP.

AARP is a waste of money IMHO.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Rick, a few years ago I checked into a motel and the attendant asked me if I belonged to any agency that would provide a discount. I told her AARP and she gave me the small discount. Then I took out my AmEx card to pay and the discount was $20 higher with AmEx than AARP.

AARP is a waste of money IMHO.
Looks like AARP put you in "the box"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #30

FD, you should be getting your registration card in the mail any day/year now.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by template View Post
I don't completely trust AARP. One of the reasons I continue to renew is that they sometimes, not always, lobby the government for issues important to retirees. That remains important during this era when the politicians talk about cutting SS, Medicare, etc.
This is how I see it. I think they were very helpful getting Medicare Part D passed. However imperfect it may be, it is a damn site better than what preceded it-nada.

Seniors are not sufficiently aware of the need for block voting. AARP is a bit of a consciousness raising force.

Ha
Old 01-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

A few years back at Megacorp they instituted a mandatory 10% unsatisfactory rating for all salaried employees. Those picked as the lucky 10% were disproportionately over 50. AARP came out against this and made enough of a stink that it was stopped. No one else came to the rescue.

So, I have a soft spot for them, even if they shill overpriced services shamelessly.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Any organization that names Harry Belafonte as their man of the year is not for me.
blenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenhardt View Post
Any organization that names Harry Belafonte as their man of the year is not for me.
I am still pissed that when they did an article on Curmudgeons a few years back - they skipped unclemick and/or John C. Bogle.

But I keep renewing and probably will for a while.

I'm certainly not going to do something stupid and write a BOOK to get their attention.

The investment stuff once in a while drives me up the wall - being a Boglehead.

heh heh heh - . Ok but a lukewarm ok nowadays.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

AARP started off as an insurance agency, and is still a massively successful insurance agency. Think about all those junk mail ads you get from them touting auto/home/health/life insurance.

They were so clever and successful that they realized an advocacy front was the perfect way to sell more product, hence, their advocacy/lobby storefront. They were good to forecast the rise in the sheer number of seniors, and the rise in their overall wealth.

I'm sure they have been of benefit to many seniors who like the articles in their magazines and their shrewd coddling of hotbutton issues. However, they are still a massive insurance conglomerate, and not a charitable organization.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A854321 View Post
However, they are still a massive insurance conglomerate, and not a charitable organization.
Where did you ever get the idea they were a "charitable" organization? I've never heard them characterized as such.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #37

AARP serves a useful purpose by keeping seniors' issues before Congress. AARP could put out an all-points bulletin to seniors about an issue and it would make a difference because seniors vote. As to the other stuff, I usually try to get an AARP discount when checking into a motel, but the difference is not that significant.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #38
Confused about dryer sheets

I know that this does not pertain to you in particular. But I became disabled at 52 and when my COBRA ran out went on Medicare so needed a Medicare Supplement. The best I could find was AARP Health Options run by United Healthcare. It seems to pay as designed also very promptly and efficiently. So far... so good.

I don't always agree with AARP's politics but generally they are on the side of the early birds.
skatin'on'thin'ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

Right now I couldn't join even If I wanted to and I don't, I'm 47(In July I'll be 48 and I'm Disabled living on SSI(And only SSI too), Any of You getting the Rebate/Stimulus? I'm not, AARP made sure the Seniors got It, But the 3 million or so like Me across the US? Nothing, The IRS says If You get only SSI You get no stimulus check, Also SSA will not issue a 1099 form that says one gets income from SSI as they consider It Welfare and so I feel I've been SHAFTED.... Besides I have better uses for $12.50 or even $30 as I only get $845 a month right now and I have to maintain both My House and My Car on that, At least I have title to both as both are paid for in full, Even If I do have to rent a space(I get excellent security, water, etc for the money though). I did join or thought I joined Divided We Fail, I guess It was a worthless idea as AARP got what they wanted and SSI recipients got Nothing........

Where's My Rebate? Saved Bt the Senate. | The Strange Death of Liberal America
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
they consider It Welfare
It could be considered as such. Those drawing SS did pay taxes (not only to SS, but to all governments, federal down to the local level) when they worked.

Folks drawing SSD (in comparison to SSI) also worked and paid taxes during their "working time".

In both cases (at one time) income was received and various taxes were paid.

Not to argue if you should/should not receive any "rebate", but don't think that SSI is income received with any contribution of taxes by the receipient. That indeed means that income is received, without any work being done in return for benefit received. It's there to provide a minimum of income (to survive) for those that have little/nothing.

BTW, I speak from direct knowledge (due to a disabled family member) on this subject.

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote