Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
It could be considered as such. Those drawing SS did pay taxes (not only to SS, but to all governments, federal down to the local level) when they worked.

Folks drawing SSDI (in comparison to SSI) also worked and paid taxes during their "working time".

In both cases (at one time) income was received and various taxes were paid.

Not to argue if you should/should not receive any "rebate", but don't think that SSI is income received with any contribution of taxes by the recipient. That indeed means that income is received, without any work being done in return for benefit received. It's there to provide a minimum of income (to survive) for those that have little/nothing.

BTW, I speak from direct knowledge (due to a disabled family member) on this subject.

- Ron
Then I'd say that people that receive SSI and are disabled should be moved off SSI and onto SSDI If they are considered permanently disabled and that means SSDI needs reforming, As there are people that get SSI cause like Me they could not afford the medical evidence at the proper time as they'd not had to much interaction with doctors and therefore just fell through the cracks. I did pay into SSDI for 10 years as required, I just lacked all of the proper medical evidence for SSDI within the 5 year sliding window, If You don't make It, It's tough luck, You could always apply for SSI instead after You get the evidence You need I was told, I had to get My brother to help Me get the last bit of evidence that I needed and It helped verify My claims(He died in May 2005 as He had emphysema/lung cancer which later on metastasized to His brain), But of course I couldn't apply for SSDI anymore. In any case equal protection under the law doesn't exist anymore I guess when It comes to people like Me and the rebates, Disabled and not equal, Just 2nd class disabled.

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure why I joined at 50. Have gotten a couple of movie discounts, hotel...but most good discounts seem to kick in at 55 or 60.

Musician and Writer

piano88 is offline   Reply With Quote