AARP..join or not?

Count me out...

...they've been hounding my wife and I for years, but like many others here we would never join based solely on their politics. Every position I've seen them take is so ardently for seniors with no regard whatsoever for the impact on any other generations might be. It's an entitlement mentality that no generation is entitled to, like most entitlements IMHO.

Looks like I'm in the minority here. I joined maybe 5 - 6 years ago. I plan to renew -- I do skim the magazine and occasionally use an AARP discount at motel.

Also - twice yearly there is an outlet mall shoe store that discounts 30-50% for AARP members over and above any other discounts. Wife and I usually buy two pair each and that more than makes up for cost of membership.

Rick

Rick, a few years ago I checked into a motel and the attendant asked me if I belonged to any agency that would provide a discount. I told her AARP and she gave me the small discount. Then I took out my AmEx card to pay and the discount was $20 higher with AmEx than AARP.

AARP is a waste of money IMHO.

Rick, a few years ago I checked into a motel and the attendant asked me if I belonged to any agency that would provide a discount. I told her AARP and she gave me the small discount. Then I took out my AmEx card to pay and the discount was $20 higher with AmEx than AARP.

AARP is a waste of money IMHO.

Looks like AARP put you in "the box"..........:D

FD, you should be getting your registration card in the mail any day/year now.:2funny:

I don't completely trust AARP. One of the reasons I continue to renew is that they sometimes, not always, lobby the government for issues important to retirees. That remains important during this era when the politicians talk about cutting SS, Medicare, etc.

This is how I see it. I think they were very helpful getting Medicare Part D passed. However imperfect it may be, it is a damn site better than what preceded it-nada.

Seniors are not sufficiently aware of the need for block voting. AARP is a bit of a consciousness raising force.

Ha

A few years back at Megacorp they instituted a mandatory 10% unsatisfactory rating for all salaried employees. Those picked as the lucky 10% were disproportionately over 50. AARP came out against this and made enough of a stink that it was stopped. No one else came to the rescue.

So, I have a soft spot for them, even if they shill overpriced services shamelessly. :rolleyes:

Any organization that names Harry Belafonte as their man of the year is not for me.

Any organization that names Harry Belafonte as their man of the year is not for me.

I am still pissed that when they did an article on Curmudgeons a few years back - they skipped unclemick and/or John C. Bogle.

But I keep renewing and probably will for a while.

I'm certainly not going to do something stupid and write a BOOK to get their attention.

The investment stuff once in a while drives me up the wall - being a Boglehead.

heh heh heh - :D. Ok but a lukewarm ok nowadays.

AARP started off as an insurance agency, and is still a massively successful insurance agency. Think about all those junk mail ads you get from them touting auto/home/health/life insurance.

They were so clever and successful that they realized an advocacy front was the perfect way to sell more product, hence, their advocacy/lobby storefront. They were good to forecast the rise in the sheer number of seniors, and the rise in their overall wealth.

I'm sure they have been of benefit to many seniors who like the articles in their magazines and their shrewd coddling of hotbutton issues. However, they are still a massive insurance conglomerate, and not a charitable organization.

However, they are still a massive insurance conglomerate, and not a charitable organization.

Where did you ever get the idea they were a "charitable" organization? I've never heard them characterized as such.

AARP serves a useful purpose by keeping seniors' issues before Congress. AARP could put out an all-points bulletin to seniors about an issue and it would make a difference because seniors vote. As to the other stuff, I usually try to get an AARP discount when checking into a motel, but the difference is not that significant.

I know that this does not pertain to you in particular. But I became disabled at 52 and when my COBRA ran out went on Medicare so needed a Medicare Supplement. The best I could find was AARP Health Options run by United Healthcare. It seems to pay as designed also very promptly and efficiently. So far... so good.

I don't always agree with AARP's politics but generally they are on the side of the early birds.

Right now I couldn't join even If I wanted to and I don't, I'm 47(In July I'll be 48 and I'm Disabled living on SSI(And only SSI too), Any of You getting the Rebate/Stimulus? I'm not, AARP made sure the Seniors got It, But the 3 million or so like Me across the US? Nothing, The IRS says If You get only SSI You get no stimulus check, Also SSA will not issue a 1099 form that says one gets income from SSI as they consider It Welfare and so I feel I've been SHAFTED.... Besides I have better uses for $12.50 or even $30 as I only get $845 a month right now and I have to maintain both My House and My Car on that, At least I have title to both as both are paid for in full, Even If I do have to rent a space(I get excellent security, water, etc for the money though). I did join or thought I joined Divided We Fail, I guess It was a worthless idea as AARP got what they wanted and SSI recipients got Nothing........

Where's My Rebate? Saved Bt the Senate. | The Strange Death of Liberal America

they consider It Welfare

It could be considered as such. Those drawing SS did pay taxes (not only to SS, but to all governments, federal down to the local level) when they worked.

Folks drawing SSD (in comparison to SSI) also worked and paid taxes during their "working time".

In both cases (at one time) income was received and various taxes were paid.

Not to argue if you should/should not receive any "rebate", but don't think that SSI is income received with any contribution of taxes by the receipient. That indeed means that income is received, without any work being done in return for benefit received. It's there to provide a minimum of income (to survive) for those that have little/nothing.

BTW, I speak from direct knowledge (due to a disabled family member) on this subject.

- Ron

It could be considered as such. Those drawing SS did pay taxes (not only to SS, but to all governments, federal down to the local level) when they worked.

Folks drawing SSDI (in comparison to SSI) also worked and paid taxes during their "working time".

In both cases (at one time) income was received and various taxes were paid.

Not to argue if you should/should not receive any "rebate", but don't think that SSI is income received with any contribution of taxes by the recipient. That indeed means that income is received, without any work being done in return for benefit received. It's there to provide a minimum of income (to survive) for those that have little/nothing.

BTW, I speak from direct knowledge (due to a disabled family member) on this subject.

- Ron
Then I'd say that people that receive SSI and are disabled should be moved off SSI and onto SSDI If they are considered permanently disabled and that means SSDI needs reforming, As there are people that get SSI cause like Me they could not afford the medical evidence at the proper time as they'd not had to much interaction with doctors and therefore just fell through the cracks. I did pay into SSDI for 10 years as required, I just lacked all of the proper medical evidence for SSDI within the 5 year sliding window, If You don't make It, It's tough luck, You could always apply for SSI instead after You get the evidence You need I was told, I had to get My brother to help Me get the last bit of evidence that I needed and It helped verify My claims(He died in May 2005 as He had emphysema/lung cancer which later on metastasized to His brain), But of course I couldn't apply for SSDI anymore. In any case equal protection under the law doesn't exist anymore I guess when It comes to people like Me and the rebates, Disabled and not equal, Just 2nd class disabled. :rant:

Aarp

Not sure why I joined at 50. Have gotten a couple of movie discounts, hotel...but most good discounts seem to kick in at 55 or 60.

Piano

Back
Top Bottom