"Activation emails" for joining forums

rodiy2k

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello

This question would be geard towards anyone that is thinking of expatriating and has attempted to use other forums more specifically geared towards their country of interest in conjunction with a forum like this one

Having received no replies on some posts I made regarding specific information on expatriating on another forum, someone sent me a message suggesting a forum more specifically tailored towards specific day to day living and expat information in the country I was looking for (Malaysia).

I went to the link and registered whereby it said an "activation code" would be sent and it would not let me login until I get it. After 24 hours, still no email; I tried requesting it from a work PC and a laptop; still nothing. I tried registering with my wife's email and even my work email; again, no "activation email" thus I am unable to participate

Today I found yet another forum that is very similar to the one described above; once again, I registered and received no "activation email".

Does anyone have any familiarity with this? Is it a scam? I've been told that perhaps my ISP blocks things from servers in Thailand; (apparently that is the country of choice for forums based in Southeast Asian countries) yet I made all my reservations for Thailand vacations using the same ISP with no problem.

I have found this to be the most frustrating thing I've ever encountered because in all the years I've been on forums, I've just used them mostly for entertainment. I am now l at a point where I really need the information that is available yet I've found they all seem to use this "activation email" that does not work.

Any ideas, thoughts, comments, suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Have you checked you spam and junk folders?
Your local email program might be filtering them out.

It's not a scam. Boards like er.org and others require this verification to cut down on spam, meet local regs for minimum ages to participate, etc. When you joined here you had to verify your registration as well.

Several things may have happened....

The verification e-mail may be in your spam folder. It's an automated e-mail and often gets flagged this way.

Some forums moderate new registrations - you may not receive the verification e-mail until a moderator has manually approved your registration - again this is usually a spam prevention tool, try not to take it personally.

If you find that the activation e-mails are in your spam box, you should know that those codes usually are only valid for 24 hours so it may no longer work.

Spam is a huge deal for internet forums - spammers are always winning the game and it takes a huge effort to keep spam to a dull roar. Try not to take the registration process personally :)

you may not receive the verification e-mail until a moderator has manually approved your registration

This happened to me just a couple of weeks ago. It took several days for a mod to send me the activation email, and I was totally mystified by its absence. But I finally got it and all was well.

This happened to me just a couple of weeks ago. It took several days for a mod to send me the activation email, and I was totally mystified by its absence. But I finally got it and all was well.

Well I guess I will just be patient. (Not my personality just ask my wife ). Thanks for sharing that with me

Back
Top Bottom