Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
If someone doesn't want the freedom to control what he does with his time all day without being ordered around either by bosses or by the requirements of the job, he might have issues of this type.
Actually, I was the one giving orders.
You probably didn't see the phrase that I put in bold just above. Even billionaires in charge of huge organizations are bossed around by what they perceive to be the requirements of the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
(I just hope that Frank approves!)
He most definitely does! He suggested something like this in the first place, and thought this was a great opportunity for us.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcurtis View Post
The adjustment is not missing work, but crafting a new life filled with only things I love.
+1

Amen! We don't miss w*rk at all, but we are still learning to craft our new life. We fully expect this to be a lifelong adventure!

Old 09-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I did all of my adjusting while I was still working. The more I adjusted, the greater the feeling that I was "dying inside" while sitting at my desk. As soon as the golden handcuffs were off, I got out, the dying feeling disappeared immediately, and I've never looked back.
+1

Yep, I pretty much died at my desk, or more accurately, in meetings (aka group-gropes) and teleconferences over the final 2 yrs.

The pension was frozen years ago. It accelerated ER by 1-2 years, and didn't serve as much of any kind of handcuffs. It was always clear that mini-Mega's retention policy wasn't bent on retaining anyone. To the lifeboats, but first straighten out those deck chairs!
Old 09-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Even billionaires in charge of huge organizations are bossed around by what they perceive to be the requirements of the job.
+alot on that.

Last week had a small conversation with a CEO of a rather big co dropping some hints about the downside of his job: shareholder, customers, employees all taking claims on him.

I'm more free than he is. Then again, he could walk away any time he chooses too. He's certainly FI.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all of the great responses! My unofficial tally of everyone's experience is:

A Year or More: 30%
A Few Weeks or Months: 30%
Just A Day or Two: 40%

I had heard from a lot of people that it was a difficult transition that would take a lot of time, but clearly many of you were well prepared for it.

Among the folks that took longer - it sounds like there were often (not always) some extenuating difficulties that happened at the same time as your ER.

I'm guessing that ER enthusiasts would be much better prepared than the average bear, and I think that helps a lot.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcurtis View Post
The adjustment is not missing work, but crafting a new life filled with only things I love.
To be honest, the things I'd love to do if I had more free time, I already have. It's the FI part I'm still working on. The savings part isn't as fast as it could be as even if I LBYM, I still spend quite a bit on things I enjoy. I also decline overtime on occasion so I don't get burnt out.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Kickernick, we are in a similar situation. Four months out. We will both retire end of December. I have a feeling the "adjustment" for us will be going on for some time as we will first get our house ready to sell, sell it, move and rent about 1,000 miles away and see if we will buy there. This will definitely be a big adjustment as we have been in the same house since 1985. I don't expect us to settle down any time soon, but we are both very excited about the upcoming "adventure!" I will update in six months. Oh, on top of all that our first grandbaby is due January 4 in Portland, OR, so there is that as well.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHiker View Post
Kickernick, we are in a similar situation. Four months out. We will both retire end of December. I have a feeling the "adjustment" for us will be going on for some time as we will first get our house ready to sell, sell it, move and rent about 1,000 miles away and see if we will buy there. This will definitely be a big adjustment as we have been in the same house since 1985. I don't expect us to settle down any time soon, but we are both very excited about the upcoming "adventure!" I will update in six months. Oh, on top of all that our first grandbaby is due January 4 in Portland, OR, so there is that as well.

Yes - moving is an adjustment all its own. Hopefully you are moving closer to where your new grandchild will be (or, somewhere cool they will want to visit?)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
Yes - moving is an adjustment all its own. Hopefully you are moving closer to where your new grandchild will be (or, somewhere cool they will want to visit?)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Yes, we will be about 4 driving hours rather than a 2+ hour flight. Looking forward to it!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
With the surging market from 2009-2015, I think that even new retirees with lower incomes than yours have felt the same way, relatively speaking. Market conditions have seemed nearly miraculous to me as a 2009 retiree, and social security actually did materialize for me despite my prior doubts.

So, I bought my dream house and like the Jefferson's on that old TV series, I'm movin' on up. I moved on up! Never thought I'd live such a nice and luxurious life in retirement. I'm working on the attitude adjustment but have a long way to go.
Good for you. It can be difficult for people to increase their lifestyle to match their new means. I retired in 2006. Finances looked outstanding until the bottom fell out in 2008. My net worth declined by about 70% before recovering. It was this period that cured me (mostly) of the "rich guy" attitude. Spending to match my means wasn't the challenge, rather determining what my means was, was problematic. At least until all my options were cashed out and my pension started. Was a real roller coaster both financially and emotionally.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It took me several months, but gradually I stopped waking up every morning with a huge grin on my face.
+1 Well, to be more accurate it's more than 3 years and I'm still grinning. I had no adjustment problem at all. As others alluded to, I did quite a bit of research beforehand so was quite prepared from day 1.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
Thanks for all of the great responses! My unofficial tally of everyone's experience is:

A Year or More: 30%
A Few Weeks or Months: 30%
Just A Day or Two: 40%

I had heard from a lot of people that it was a difficult transition that would take a lot of time, but clearly many of you were well prepared for it.

Among the folks that took longer - it sounds like there were often (not always) some extenuating difficulties that happened at the same time as your ER.

I'm guessing that ER enthusiasts would be much better prepared than the average bear, and I think that helps a lot.
See this:

A Satisfying Journey: Is Retirement Time the Same as Working Time?

Particularly this in the comments section:

Quote:
I realized that 60+ is a time period where even if we still work for money, we're in the last inning of our last game.

We can play it out and work till we die, for the honor of dying with our boots on and leaving more goodies for our heirs; or we can just walk off the field

Most of the other worker-players will return in a few months to start a new season. But not us. The game goes on; but without us. We do not go on (in a temporal sense) if we play our last inning of the game with our normal teammates doing the normal thing.

But it's hard to realize that we can pull ourselves out of the game we're so habituated to and rewarded by. We don't have to wait for a coach to tell us to go home; we can just walk off the field. And go do something else with this last cache of time.

...It's almost a bending of time when you slow down to spend your last big inning by walking off the field and allowing yourself to experience every nook and cranny of the final journey home.

A similar phenom exists under the theory of relativity called "time dilation". This is where The faster the relative velocity, the greater the magnitude of time dilation. You're on a speeding train to its final destination but as the observer time seems to slow as you focus more deeply on things that matter to you.
Emphasis added.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHiker View Post
Yes, we will be about 4 driving hours rather than a 2+ hour flight. Looking forward to it!
If you are a hiker, you will love Oregon!!!