Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At my doorstep is millions and millions of acres of National Forest, State Park, National Park and BLM land. I have not even scratched the surface of the adventure possibilities here and I am hoping like heck to get DW and the kids ready for some backpacking next summer. I will figure out the rest later.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not nearly as adventurous as the guy in the story. I have done numerous wilderness backpack and canoe trips, ziplining and jungle trekking in Costa Rica, kayaking in the north Pacific, heli-hiking in the Canadian Rockies, mountain climbing in Canada & Ecuador, scuba diving all over the Caribbean and Central America plus long sailboat trips along the Florida coast. Hope to do a lot more once retired!

Old 12-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #23

Looking forward to Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan next summer, plus Ukraine, Russia, Mongolia, and a few more. Anyone ever driven the Transfaragasan in Romania? We're thinking of adding that in. Sounds really cool and those guys from Top Gear say it is the best road in the world.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I rode my bike around Iceland 2 years ago, well I got half way and then rented a car. I rode on Rt1 from Reykjavik to Eggilstadir in the far east of Iceland, but the wind and general isolation got to me so I rented a car and drove the rest. It was a great 3 weeks.

This year I rode my bike around the perimeter of Massachusetts. It was a lot easier, but there's still some tough climbs.

Next year I plan to return to Iceland and actually ride around the entire island, I'm not going to let it beat me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg road.jpg (71.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Myvatan.jpg (93.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Modruhdalur.jpg (70.2 KB, 1 views)

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to hear some of those stories or see the pix..
It's difficult to condense dozens of trips into one or two posts. The things that I've done really aren't all that unusual. For example, while I was biking in Laos, I crossed paths with about 30 other cyclists who were touring there. Because the country has few roads (and little traffic), it's easy to encounter other cyclists. You wouldn't believe how many cyclists have gone from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, or bike overland across Asia or Africa. I haven't done any of those things and don't really aspire to, either.

The only place I've ever biked where I didn't see a single other touring cyclist other than the friend I was biking with, was Tunisia. That was several years before the revolution, BTW. Memorable sights there included seeing the endless sand dunes of the Sahara from its northern edge, and a working camel-driven olive oil press.

Sri Lanka is a wonderful country to visit. It has lots of diverse things to see, friendly people, pretty scenery, great food, although sometimes poor roads. I highly recommend it for non-cyclists, at least.

I enjoy riding in mountains. I'm not a fast rider but I'm strong at climbing hills and mountain passes. I was probably in the best shape of my life after I completed a 6 week bike trip in the US & Canadian Rockies. I think I crossed the Continental Divide over a dozen times.

The prettiest area I think I ever biked in was northern Patagonia in Chile & Argentina, an area of volcanoes and lakes. Absolutely gorgeous.

My favorite place for touring is France. It has varied scenery, a great network of quiet secondary roads if you know how to read a map well, a bike-friendly culture, & great food.

The best food? It's hard to compare apples & oranges, but there are 5 countries which stand out (in alphabetical order): France, Italy, Mexico, Sri Lanka, Thailand.

I've never gotten seriously ill while bike touring, although I did once contract giardiasis. Ironically, that happened in the US or Canada. The symptoms hit me in the US, but I had just been in Canada, so I'm not sure where I contracted it. I didn't drink stream water, so I have no idea how it happened.

I have had 2 serious accidents, once caused by a broken fender, the other caused by rotting wood on a bridge in Australia. The first one resulted in a serious concussion, the other resulted in a broken rib or two and a destroyed wheel.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #26

1963....traveling overland, and starting in the Persian/Arabian Gulf area, we periodically heard about a group of Brits cycling eastward......finally encountered them in Singapore.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #27

Hmmm - I have a goal to ski every continent - nearly there. I've done the Via Ferrata in Italy, hiked half of the Tour Du Mont Blanc, hiked the Zugspitze in one day....we pretty much try to find a hike somewhere where-ever we go (even on cruise port stops). We've done a few bike trips, too. I don't know that I'm as adventurous as the OP's link or some of the posters here, but we definitely do not sit around when we go places. Do the sitting at home :-)
Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
No you haven't! C'mon, you know you want to ride the short bus!
The principal reason I want to retire is to have sufficient time to do things like ride the short bus.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB
I sometimes go to downtown Chicago. I consider that adventure.
You might not think that was much, but you are braver than I am. Went to an all day rock concert about 30 miles outside of Chicago. Being from MO, we decided what the heck, let's drive on in to Chicago and check it out. Well as the highway went from single lane, to double, then on to 6 lanes with cars everywhere, and we not knowing where the hell we we're going, we found the next exit and doubled back to the safety of the suburbs.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Hmmm - I have a goal to ski every continent - nearly there. I've done the Via Ferrata in Italy, hiked half of the Tour Du Mont Blanc, hiked the Zugspitze in one day....we pretty much try to find a hike somewhere where-ever we go (even on cruise port stops). We've done a few bike trips, too. I don't know that I'm as adventurous as the OP's link or some of the posters here, but we definitely do not sit around when we go places. Do the sitting at home :-)
Ah, when I think of all the remote fly fishing streams in the Rockies above 10,000 feet that can only be reached by a prolonged backcountry ramble through bear country, I can hardly wait to ER.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #31

I think that we are "outdoorsy". DW would call what we do adventure travel. Especially when she recalls getting the truck stuck in remote road, Mexico or wilderness area, US. No pictures. The names were changed to protect the guilty.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Ah, when I think of all the remote fly fishing streams in the Rockies above 10,000 feet that can only be reached by a prolonged backcountry ramble through bear country, I can hardly wait to ER.
I'm thinking the same, but replacing the fly rod with a bicycle. Right now I only get a couple of weeks in the summer to go on long bike trips. When I ER I plan to bike tour a lot more!

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I am impressed with what this person does. I wish I could do the same. How many of you are adventure travelers ? I would love to hear about some of your travel stories.

Adventure traveler Len Stanmore is not your average retiree - Itineraries on NBCNews.com

After our youngest graduated, we all celebrated--including the oldest's fiancee, her mother, and brother--on an Italian hiking-biking tour that included Florence beforehand (my insistence).
Absolutely great.
The company organizing the trip didn't exactly stick us in low-rent lodgings, but I also enjoyed the hostel we booked for the Florence piece. Recommended. My wife is booking a walk across England and Kiliminjaro. Unfortunately the times are bad for my work, but I'll do the former in a year or two.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I love off the beaten path places. Bolivia is a favorite, Columbia, Jordan and Syria.
I couldn't help myself after I read your first line about Bolivia:

Butch Cassidy: Jeesh, all Bolivia can't look like this.
Sundance Kid: How do you know? This might be the garden spot of the whole country. People may travel hundreds of miles just to get to this spot where we're standing now. This might be the Atlantic City, New Jersey of all Bolivia for all you know.
Butch Cassidy: Look, I know a lot more about Bolivia than you know about Atlantic City, New Jersey, I can tell you that!
Sundance Kid: Aha! You do, huh? I was born there, I was born in New Jersey. Was brought up there, so...
Butch Cassidy: You're from the east? I didn't know that.
Sundance Kid: The total tonnage of what you don't know is enough to shatter...
Etta Place: I'm not sure we're accomplishing as much as we'd like here.
Sundance Kid: Listen, your job is to back me up, because you'd starve without me. And you, your job is to shut up!
Butch Cassidy: He'll feel a lot better after he's robbed a couple of banks.
Sundance Kid: Bolivia. Hahahaha...
Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #35

This journalist will have a few interesting stories to tell if he manages to complete his journey for NatGeo...

Out of Eden -- A Walk Through Time -- National Geographic
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #36

Koogie, thanks for the link! It looks like an awesome adventure for sure and I'll add him to my Twitter feed. He's not going to make it across the Bering on foot (or a boat, for that matter), but I guess he'll work that out on his own.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
This journalist will have a few interesting stories to tell if he manages to complete his journey for NatGeo...

Out of Eden -- A Walk Through Time -- National Geographic
Interesting. While reading about the reporter Paul Salopek, I discovered that he won a couple of Pultitzers, one about genetics that I found interesting. This definitely has thread hijack potential.

The Pulitzer Prizes | Basically, we are all the same (1)