Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am impressed with what this person does. I wish I could do the same. How many of you are adventure travelers ? I would love to hear about some of your travel stories.

Adventure traveler Len Stanmore is not your average retiree - Itineraries on NBCNews.com
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've never called myself an "adventure traveler", but I suspect others might. I love bicycle touring. I went on my first bike trip when I was 18 and got hooked. I often asked for (and got) leave without pay so I could go on longer trips. I also did a fair bit of travel when I was between jobs. I'll tour either with friends or by myself if I can't find anyone interested in joining me. I've biked in about 35 countries, and have biked on every continent except Antarctica. A couple of my most recent bike trips were in Laos/Thailand, and France.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum
I've never called myself an "adventure traveler", but I suspect others might.
If you own three or more pieces of Tilley clothing, you are officially an adventure traveller. ;-)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am definitely not that adventurous...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #5

My dad was an adventure traveler. Family vacations were backpacks. When us kids left the nest he organized and ran trips to Nepal, Kilmanjaro, Tanzania, Alaska back country (dropped off by sea plane in one place, picked up 2 weeks later in a different place). When he retired at 62 he loaded his mountain bike, backpack, and kayak on his 4wd truck and ferry hopped along Canada and Alaska.

When his body stopped being as responsive (late 60's) he still did round the world trips... but opted for hotels over sleeping bags and tents.

I inherited his love of travel... minus the sleeping on the ground part.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I am definitely not that adventurous...
Come with us. We'll change that.
I guess we are out-of-the-ordinary travelers, but adventure traveler sounds, I dunno, a bit like bragging.

I'd say we like to go to places that are difficult, far away, have no amenities, and in dodgy/sketchy vehicles that have no business there. Like, I dunno, a mototaxi across Peru and a short bus across the northern hemisphere.

Better to do the adventurous stuff young, though, because we don't always get the chance to do it when we are old! Like Rodi noted, you wind up opting for easier accomodations, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

What is the opposite of an "adventure traveler"? Whatever it is, that's me.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
What is the opposite of an "adventure traveler"?
Couch potato?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Not to knock it down, He did accomplished a lot, but he sold his cable company,
so he has all the money to fund these adventures. Nobody, even if they have the stamina and health minus the money can do such things.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Couch potato?

omni
Not quite!

I don't enjoy traveling to distant lands so much. But when I do, I like to stick to well-travelled roads and comfortable accommodations.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #11

Ms G and I do 'active travel", Sea kayaking the Sea of Cortez, hiking, biking the Baja. Costa Rica, hiking, sea kayaking, zipline. Alaska, Denali, hiking, small ship crusing inner passage, more sea kayaking, hiking.

We live 1/2 mile from the Chiricahua Wilderness, so we don't have to travel far to have an adventure.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

Come with us. We'll change that.
I guess we are out-of-the-ordinary travelers, but adventure traveler sounds, I dunno, a bit like bragging.

I'd say we like to go to places that are difficult, far away, have no amenities, and in dodgy/sketchy vehicles that have no business there. Like, I dunno, a mototaxi across Peru and a short bus across the northern hemisphere.

Better to do the adventurous stuff young, though, because we don't always get the chance to do it when we are old! Like Rodi noted, you wind up opting for easier accomodations, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I've had enough misadventures for one life...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
What is the opposite of an "adventure traveler"? Whatever it is, that's me.
+1

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I've had enough misadventures for one life...
No you haven't! C'mon, you know you want to ride the short bus!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #15

None of my travel could be called adventurous but when young, I traveled across Europe in a bus and ended up camping on the beach of a Greek island for 3 weeks. Have also visited Paris, Belgium, Amsterdam, Baja California, and spent some time in rural Northern France.

My aim in a few years is to spend time investigating this country in an RV. There are enough out of the way and interesting places in the US to keep me busy for quite a while, I'm thinking. Other countries are great but more and more, I'm thinking that the one I'm already in has a great deal of travel interest to offer.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Other countries are great but more and more, I'm thinking that the one I'm already in has a great deal of travel interest to offer.

I couldn't agree more. After driving across the US in June, I realized how much there is to see, right here.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I love off the beaten path places. Bolivia is a favorite, Columbia, Jordan and Syria. Beirut has to be one of my favorite places ever, a place many here in the USA think of as dangerous and certainly not somewhere to go on vacation. I spent a few months several years ago and then again this year in Nicaragua and love it there... Unfortunately more and more people have discovered it and I am afraid that it may end up like Costa Rica in another dozen years or so. Then again, as long as the president is buddy buddy with the USA's most despised, maybe not! I was in the airport waiting to pick someone up and got to see Ahmadinejad and Chavez up close and personal when they arrived for the presidents swearing in in January this year. Close enough that I could have almost reached out and touched Ahmadinejad...
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I sometimes go to downtown Chicago. I consider that adventure.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #19
gone traveling

I've had enough local misadventures in my younger days to cure any wanderlust in old age.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
I've never called myself an "adventure traveler", but I suspect others might. I love bicycle touring. I went on my first bike trip when I was 18 and got hooked. I often asked for (and got) leave without pay so I could go on longer trips. I also did a fair bit of travel when I was between jobs. I'll tour either with friends or by myself if I can't find anyone interested in joining me. I've biked in about 35 countries, and have biked on every continent except Antarctica. A couple of my most recent bike trips were in Laos/Thailand, and France.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to hear some of those stories or see the pix..